Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Doctors...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
...are a complete waste of space and not only that why do they spend 8 years in med school when I can tell you the same as what they can.

I sat there and literally sobbed - telling him I was sick of being in pain that was unexplained (my right hip is now painful and swollen with no known cause) - I told him I had literally reached a point where I couldn't cope anymore, I am constantly exhausted and irritable and that I could hardly keep up with work or uni work. I told him I had broken sleep and kept having panic attacks and that I am struggling so much I don't want to get out of bed. His response? Give up uni and there is definite swelling and its hot to touch but I don't know whats wrong with your hip so here is some antibiotics - I don't think you should take them so stick to ibuprofen for now and only get them from the pharmacy if the pain doesnt subside in the next 48 hours.

Arghhhhh :banghead: What don't they get about "I literally cannot cope" - as in at crisis point and really really cannot cope with the stress I'm under...as in, help!?! I don't do crying - it's a known fact so to sit there sobbing kind of shows I really mean it when I say I can't cope and maybe if he had read my notes properly he would know I'm not making it up when I say I'm under a lot of pressure.

Comments

• Options
    Did you see someone you know well, or one you hadn't really seen before?
  • Options
    I haven't seen him before but I didn't get a choice because it was an emergency appt and the only doctor who has been of any use is away until Dec but he had all my notes from the appts I've had recently.
  • Options
    There's having notes and then there's reading notes.

Doctors are notoriously bad at dealing with more than one thing at once; see how your hip does over the weekend, deal with that, then make an appointment to go back (possibly to see someone else) and deal with the rest.

Hugs
  • Options
    He went through my notes because he was looking for a referral that was made to counselling a while ago.

I fully understand that they don't want to deal with 2 different things at once but he only examined my hip briefly - a minute at most - and what sort of doctor can just dismiss a patient in that much distress!?! And I quite clearly told him the patterns with it being the 2nd unexplained thing I've had in a week and how it flares up the more stressed I feel.

I'll go back when I can see the friendly GP I saw last time - its not until the end of the month but at least she's understanding. Don't know what I'll do in the meantime :(
  • Options
    ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl
    In our Doctor's surgery we have a robot, a 'it's nothing to worry about,' and 'it's just stress.' 3 of the most useless Doctors you could ever meet. Well at least the robot isn't bad at diagnosing, but has no personality, no bed-side manner, and seems to be emotionally dead inside. Thank goodness they have some Doctors that are capable of taking care of people, although they only come in a few times a week, they work at other surgeries.
    I always make a point of asking to see a specific Doctor. One time I was really mad, I booked in to see one Doctor and they said on the day I turned up it was with the robot. I even double checked before hand because it was about my depression, so I told them that I wasn't happy because they told me it was with the other one and said 'I'd leave it thanks, can I make another appointment' (to see the one I originally wanted).

Don't let them fob you off with someone else, it's important to feel comfortable with your Doctor. xx *hug*
  • Options
    A couple of things.

1. What did you expect him to do? Obviously you wanted something, but what was that?
    2. If you didn't get that response, why didn't you tell him what you were actually looking for?
  • Options
    Oh no sorry you're in pain, I think there's a good point made here about what you want from the doctor and to be quite straight forward with them about it.

I'm sure there are lots of seemingly unexplained things that doctors see, pains, swellings, rashes etc so sometimes they genuinely won't have all the answers and just have to monitor the situation. Stress can manifest itself in the most peculiar ways and I'm sure it's not helping your pain.

If you don't feel happy with the response you've received today don't give up, can you do anything to relax over the weekend?

Dp :heart:
  • Options
    Firstly I wanted to make sure there were no underlying causes for it...this was confirmed pretty swiftly. At this point I explained it was the second unexplained pain and swelling I had. Then I burst in to tears and was very open and explained again about the poor sleep, panic attacks and not being able to cope, etc. He shrugged and said could be stress. Not being happy with that response I then asked what options were open to me. He said medication so I asked what my other alternatives were which he responded with "not many...guess there is counselling". At this point I was really wound up and pretty distresed and explained I was struggling with uni and they were asking for a doctors note...he said doctors notes aren't going to resolve your "stress" long term maybe consider giving it up. I left at that point.

I wanted to know my options and I pushed for them but didn't get them.
    I needed a doctors note for uni - I asked but didn't get it.
    I don't expect a doctor to allow you to walk out of his office in the state I was in knowing I had said I couldn't cope.

I'm working and have my essay for uni to write so no relaxing for me...
  • Options
    You could always put in a compliant about him. I know it sounds a bit mean, but I would. At the end of the day he didn't sound very professional, and Doctors have a duty of care. 'Care' being the operative word.

What's the topic of the essay?
  • Options
    Okay, they reason I asked those question is because I'm NHS and work with GPs, so the additional information helps me give the following advice...
    Firstly I wanted to make sure there were no underlying causes for it...this was confirmed pretty swiftly. At this point I explained it was the second unexplained pain and swelling I had.

It sounds like you have an unexplained cause there, which means he's unlikely to be able to treat, other than to offer pain relief. Is the cause still being investigated?
    Then I burst in to tears and was very open and explained again about the poor sleep, panic attacks and not being able to cope, etc. He shrugged and said could be stress. Not being happy with that response I then asked what options were open to me. He said medication so I asked what my other alternatives were which he responded with "not many...guess there is counselling". At this point I was really wound up and pretty distresed and explained I was struggling with uni and they were asking for a doctors note...he said doctors notes aren't going to resolve your "stress" long term maybe consider giving it up. I left at that point.

He's actually pretty spot on. I does sound like the stress of the pain and the pressure you are under at Uni is causing the sleeplessness etc (and I say this as a suffer too!)... there aren't many option open. Counselling is one, anti-depressants is another but GPs are loathe to offer the latter automatically because of the side effects and the risk of addiction.

Offering you a sick note is only going to give limited relief. It won't help the underlying causes, which sounds like they are more long term. Again, I've been there, the sick note will only work if allied with something to help soften the long term issues causing the stress etc.
    I wanted to know my options and I pushed for them but didn't get them.
    I needed a doctors note for uni - I asked but didn't get it.
    I don't expect a doctor to allow you to walk out of his office in the state I was in knowing I had said I couldn't cope.

I'm working and have my essay for uni to write so no relaxing for me...

I think that you got the options, just they they weren't the ones you hoped for. Something cannot be cured or treated easily. I agree with the doctors note, you didn't get one. However, I'm not sure that was him being obstructive, but rather that it wouldn't actually be clinically appropriate. Having said that, I also think that he's a little wrong here, it might give you a little breathing room to decide what you need to do - if allied with counselling. Hate to say this but it also sounds like you need to take a serious look at whether Uni is right for you.

Finally a GP will not stop you walking out. It's your right. If he did he's actually opening himself up to accusations of false detention...

I really hope it goes better for you. Spend some time this weekend thinking about your options, what you can do for yourself and what you need their help for. Then go back. Have it all written down and explain the whole issue and your planned approach. If they think you have thought it through then they are more likely to offer you the support you require - please remember than many students will try to use the GP and notes as a way of avoiding deadlines on essays and the GP is always going to be wary of this.

Good luck. If you need advice feel free to PM me.
  • Options
    Nope the cause isn't being investigated further, the sleeplessness was prior to the pain, medication seems to be the only thing they want to offer me and I don't think he really could comment on whether my note for uni was justified, having lost a parent to suicide earlier this year followed by the death of a grandparent! I'm in my final year of uni and I just needed a little breathing space until the counselling starts to help...it's just frustrating when I work in a HR department and see medical certs being issued for 7/8 weeks for "flu"!!
  • Options
    The gp can call the crisis team though if they want to.
  • Options
    I also didn't mean that he should have stopped me walking out - he literally asked me if there was anything else and expected me to leave...in the state I was in. Also, in terms of work ethic, etc - I never took time off work for my Dad's death until 3 weeks after, which was after my Grandad's death, funeral and my Dad's inquest...Also, he signed me off for a month and I actually got a fit note and returned to work after two weeks instead so it isn't something I've attempted to use as an excuse to get out of anything either! I honestly think the health service is appalling.
  • Options
    Slartibartfast, good advice and i can see why you put it, but not totally relevant. Uni isn't the problem, her fathers suicide is. Uni need a doctors note so that she can apply for mitigating circumstances.

WL, when you are anti medication, are you thinking specifically of anti depressants or all meds? Weve chatted about sleeping tablets, perhaps asking the doctor for a short course of them to help you deal with the symptomatic results of the stress while you are working oon the cause.
  • Options
    I don't agree with anti-depressants specifically and I discussed this with my counsellor - I told her I felt it would mask the underlying feelings connected to my Dad's suicide and she agreed and told me that she had worked with other young people who were on them and that they did just that. I am reluctant to take prescription sleeping tablets because of the addictiveness of them - I have now tried Nytol and they worked and having been to the gym a couple of times this week my sleep has improved but not to the extent where I feel like I'm getting a proper nights rest. Also - the hip pain is not an injury from the gym because it started before going and although I agree it probably didnt help the pain - it certainly flared up before I started back again.
  • Options
    A GP can't work miracles, and they can't wave a magic wand to make the whole thing go away unfortunately, much as it would be great if they could.

I'm guessing the advice you got was to give your hip a couple if days trying anti inflammatories, you've got the anti biotic prescription to try if they don't seem to be working and the option to go back depending on how that goes. That's a starting point for further investigation, because step one of the investigation will be does it respond to either of the above.

It does sound like you're possibly trying to deal with too much at the moment - sadly you're not super human and something will have to give. It might be that uni can move deadlines and make things work out, or dropping it to part time to speed the work load out might be the way to go.

When was the last time you talked to your tutor? In theory they should be able to help provide some guidance on the uni front, working out what the problems are there and what the options are, and what evidence they need if any to provide those options.

It's good that you now know nytol works, and you've got that option - getting a few nights decent sleep makes the world of difference to dealing with stressful circumstances. Good news you've made it to the gym, sucks that your hip isn't helping this. Am sure it's stating the obvious but probably worth picking what you do carefully for a few days.

Hugs.

Xxx
  • Options
    I'm just frustrated that there appears to be no cause :(

No I was told to avoid taking anymore antibiotics unless the pain didn't subside but there was no mention of going back for further tests and I'm a little confused as to why they would prescribe something if they don't know the cause and also if they were advising that I was better off not taking them!?

I'm already studying part-time due to working full-time - I have kept communicating with my programme administrator to inform her of my situation and I have requested an extension on my deadline but I need the doctors note to have this granted. Instead of the quickly approaching deadline making me motivated to do it, it makes me more inclined to crawl straight back to bed and stay there...which is also nothing like me!

I just need some breathing space to get myself sorted :( xxx
  • Options
    Hey WL

Hope you are okay. I am here for you *hugs* PM me whenever.
  • Options
    Purple_roo wrote: »
    Slartibartfast, good advice and i can see why you put it, but not totally relevant. Uni isn't the problem, her fathers suicide is. Uni need a doctors note so that she can apply for mitigating circumstances.

Ah, wasn't aware of that. That just underlines what the GP said about stress and my comment about looking hard at Uni, especially since just above this she talks about working full time too.
  • Options
    Thanks Claire :) *hug*

Slartibartfast, I only study part time around full time work - I have to work full time to financially support myself - the issue isn't the balance of the two - it is the general lack of concentration/focus and the feelings of apathy and being emotionally unstable as a result of his death that is causing the issue. In terms of the GP I saw; he was generally dismissive of it being "stress" - only casually agreeing that it "could be a possibility". Also, seeing as I'm in my final year of uni, I don't think it would necessarily be in my best interests to give it up.
  • Options
    I had issues when I was doing a Uni course and full time working. The reason I suggest that you look at it is because it's the one flexible aspect - you cannot affect the past and you cannot drop the job - so you might need a pause. It worked for me.
  • Options
    Also, when considering uni, it might not have to be all or nothing. Can you take a 3 or 6 month break for example.
  • Options
    She still needs the Doctor's note for uni to go through the mitigating circumstances and give her the break if she so requires...
  • Options
    Given everything everyone else has said, all I would add is that if you need a doctor's not you might just need to get a conventional appointment and take your request in writing. If you feel you need a lot of time (and I think you do need extra time), book a double appointment.

An emergency appointment is usually only allocated 3-5 mins. Although it doesn't excuse your GP's behaviour, that isn't a lot of time to deal with two issues.
  • Options
    I've managed to secure one week's extension on different grounds to what I originally submitted.

I only booked an emergency appt because it was suspected shingles and I couldn't work until I knew - the other stuff sort of just came out whilst I was there.

I need to book my next one in advance anyway as she is off on leave at the moment, so I will book a double appt. I was thinking of just writing absolutely everything down and then explaining that I'm finding it really hard to explain everything thats happening so would prefer her to read what I've written - do they let you do that? I know I have done with counselling but don't know if GP's are the same?
  • Options
    That sounds like a really good plan.

Like Picc said (and she's a bit of an expert in pretty much everything) looking for a longer term solution to a more complex issue is likely to need a reasonable amount of time, and a GP who knows you/your history a bit better rather than only what they can glean from a quick scan through the notes. Emergency appointment was spot on for the hip problem, and sounds like you've got the right plan in writing some stuff down and booking a longer appointment to go through it.
  • Options
    I've managed to secure one week's extension on different grounds to what I originally submitted.

I only booked an emergency appt because it was suspected shingles and I couldn't work until I knew - the other stuff sort of just came out whilst I was there.

I need to book my next one in advance anyway as she is off on leave at the moment, so I will book a double appt. I was thinking of just writing absolutely everything down and then explaining that I'm finding it really hard to explain everything thats happening so would prefer her to read what I've written - do they let you do that? I know I have done with counselling but don't know if GP's are the same?

It might help the doctor get a better understanding of your state of mind if it's in writing. I don't think she'll say no to reading it if you don't feel up to talking about it. xx
  • Options
    That sounds like a really good plan.

Like Picc said (and she's a bit of an expert in pretty much everything) looking for a longer term solution to a more complex issue is likely to need a reasonable amount of time, and a GP who knows you/your history a bit better rather than only what they can glean from a quick scan through the notes. Emergency appointment was spot on for the hip problem, and sounds like you've got the right plan in writing some stuff down and booking a longer appointment to go through it.

Spot on. Well done, WL :)
  • Options
    Doesn't really matter anymore...doubt I'll be around long enough to see her when she gets back. Will be too late by then.
  • Options
    Hi WhiteLillies :wave:

I have been reading your last couple of posts about the G.P, how's it going with that?

What do you mean it will be too late? Do you want to talk about it?

You know there is always someone to talk to here *hug*

purple_rain :heart: