Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

going to the GP ??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
so i don't know if this is going to make sense but here it goes...
I decided to go see a doctor about my depression and my moods this week i've been thinking about it alot lately but than i remove the taught from my mind.
anyway maybe i will go this week but what am i going to say..
oh hi i was wondering if you can give me some meds because i am suicidal !!! (don't think so)
I really want to go but don't know what i'm going to say to him. I really want to change my life because i can't keep living like this.:(
Anyone have any advice please ???? I am really confused and i really hate doctors so i really really have to make an affort to go.:confused::nervous:

Comments

• Options
    ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl
    Do the receptionists ask why you want to be seen? I hate that. I always tell them I would rather discuss it with the Doctor, or that it's personal.
    Just be honest, unless the Doctor has a clear understanding of what you are going through then they might not be able to help.
    But make sure you pick a good Doctor. One Doctor I told about my depression made me feel worse, but the one I always ask to see now was amazing, very supportive.
    It's great you feel comfortable to go and talk to someone, if you feel a bit nervous why not write down some things about how you're feeling so you don't forget or if you get too upset you can give the doctor what you wrote. And take some tissues with you just in case. :)
    You can pm me about this if you like. xx *hug* :heart: *hug*
  • Options
    I like the idea to wrote when I'm sad and after give it to the doctor.:)
  • Options
    What is wrong with telling the GP exactly how you feel?
  • Options
    I know it may feel uncomfortable but you have no reason to feel ashamed or anything. It's like any other illness. Tell the dr your symptoms e.g. your suicidal feelings and see what he/she says. Would you be able to take a friend along for moral support?

If for any reason you feel your doctor is not understanding or taking you seriously (which they really should but every profession has someone that isn't meant to be in it..) then please don't give up and ask the receptionist if you can see a different dr.
  • Options
    What is wrong with telling the GP exactly how you feel?

I don't know i just feel nervous.And i have to find a new doctor too. :/
  • Options
    I know it may feel uncomfortable but you have no reason to feel ashamed or anything. It's like any other illness. Tell the dr your symptoms e.g. your suicidal feelings and see what he/she says. Would you be able to take a friend along for moral support?

If for any reason you feel your doctor is not understanding or taking you seriously (which they really should but every profession has someone that isn't meant to be in it..) then please don't give up and ask the receptionist if you can see a different dr.

I don't have any friends and i don't want to take someone from my family either. I have to do it alone:( .
    i'm going to try seeing a doctor this week. i'm going to call tomorrow first than see what i'll do next. :/
  • Options
    pink girl wrote: »
    I don't know i just feel nervous.And i have to find a new doctor too. :/

That's what I figured. Believe me when I say that your GP will have heard it all before, depression is possibly the most common ailment affecting the general population. Indeed look around these boards and you will find lots of fellow sufferers.

The key pay is that the GP can only help you if you tell them what is wrong. They don't judge, they don't laugh, they just try to help. Be open, tell them exactly how you feel and you will get exactly the treatment you need, if you hide something then you will get the wrong treatment and that won't work and you won't get better.
  • Options
    thanks all for your advice. :)
    I try and see a doctor this week than i'll see what i am going to do from there. :blush:
  • Options
    ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl
    pink girl wrote: »
    thanks all for your advice. :)
    I try and see a doctor this week than i'll see what i am going to do from there. :blush:

I'm sure you'll be fine. You know where we are. xx