Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Moving out what to do?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Are you moving out from your parents house for the first time and don’t know how you’re going to cope and how you’re going to manage on your own? Don’t you know what sort of things you will need to take with you and where you need to go?. It can be scary to think about it can’t it. I was in your situation a few months I moved out without having any information. I was suddenly in a new place, with no money and no idea on what to do next.

The first day I moved out, I got lost. I turned up at some total different place to where I was meant to be, Turned up late to meeting my landlord and didn’t pack any of the things I needed. I had no clothes to wear the next day and as soon as I got out of the shower I realised I had no towel aswell. I didn’t have any food to eat or any money to buy anythings. I didn’t think clearly enough of what I needed in my new house I only had DVD’s , book and a laptop.

I didn’t know where I could get information from to help me so running around like a headless chicken all day wasn’t how I imagined to be spending my days, So if you was moving out of your parents house for the first time. What would you take? Where would you go for information? And mainly what would you do? Or if you have already moved out whats your experience of moving out? Did you cope? Did you find it easy? Or did you have no idea what was going on?.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey there Emmalee and welcome to the boards.

Thanks for posting your query, which I am sure most people think about at some point in their lives (in one way or another).

Also, really sorry to hear that you had a nightmare time moving out when you did. How long ago was this? Are you more settled now?

In terms of your specific questions I have a few thoughts;

What to take? - depends where I am moving to and for how long. But if you are starting a new life somewhere, then you need everything. Very important things will differ from person to person and how long you had to pack.

Information - Shelter are very good for seeking information about housing - http://england.shelter.org.uk/home
    They also have a phone line - 0808 800 4444
    http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/how_we_can_help/housing_advice_helpline

Shelter's website also has a really handy local advice finder - http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice
    It's quite a small box on the right.

If you are eligible for housing assistance from the council then you can approach them. Have a look at this article for more information - http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/homelessness/legal_definition_of_homelessness
    Or use this interactive online assessment - http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/downloads_and_tools/emergency_housing_rights_checker

You can also ask friends, family or ask questions on helpful forums (like this one :)).

What to do? - again I think this depends on the context for moving out. Was it a sudden decision? Is it a move to uni?

I hope this helps and please let us know if you have any further queries.

:)
    Hey

I moved out on the 2nd april, I would say now that I am more settled now although I am currently in the process of moving out again this time I have a little more experience and know the sort of things I need to take with me.

In my opinion the sort of things you need to take with you when you first move out are :

1) Clothes. Bit obvious really. Socks, pants, troussers,T-shirts, Jumpers, shoes, PJ's ect. Don't forget it could suddenly be cold so come prepared for any weather. You never know if its going to be cold in your room either so don't forget your winter wollys.

2) Identification (I.D) theres a chance when you move out you could be applying for income support or Job seakers allowence if your not currently on it. This means when you go for your meeting at your local job centre you'll need to take a national insurance card, Birth certificate, Name change deed poll (if appropiate) Passport (if you have one). Also if your at college then you will be applying for income support, you'll need a letter from your college to say your a student there and the hours/days your there.

3) Something to keep you company. Books,DVDs,Magazines. something you can do whilst your stuck roaming around your room bored. Trust me, it'll come in handy.

4) wet wipes, Carrier bags, Toiliteries. Everyone needs these.

5) FOOD!!!!!!!!!!! this one pretty much explains itself.

Don't forget to plan and budget your money. And if needed a cuddely toy ;)

They're my 5 top tips of what you need to take with you^^

Take care

-Em-
    That's a good list notbob. Things also to consider is what your new place will and will not have. TV? Internet? Whitegoods (Cooker, WashingMachine, Fridge), other furniture, stuff to cook food in, and stuff to eat food off, bedding.
    Finally have internet to reply!

Moving out from my parents wasn't easy, but had to be done. I had met my closest friend online - and she knew what was going on.

I knew I had to get out of the family household, as my dad was violent towards me, and I had put up with it for 6 years, with no help from the police or social services. It was all surreal, I had planned everything within a few weeks. My friend said I could stay with her. June/July this year, I moved. 220 miles away to Dudley, but I was out. I didn't really think of what to bring with me. I packed most of my bedroom, and got the last bit of money out my bank to book tickets.

A few weeks after, we both moved again, this time to Greater Manchester, now 300 miles away. It wasn't easy. I had no money, and no education. I knew no one, and everyone I knew was 300 miles away. I lost all support and started getting deep into depression again. My whole health plummeted.

I agreed to get help. My friend phoned up, and I had a risk assessment, and now have ongoing support. It's not easy moving out. Specially if you have no idea what to expect. I guess I'm more so happier here, but sometimes, I miss the support I once had down South.

Hope this helps a little!
    *removed post*