Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

I think i might be bipolar?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok so im new here and well i could really do with some help and advicce. I think i might be bipolar but i dont know what to do and obviously i cant just say to someone 'ow hey i think im bipolar' because then they would just think what an idiot shes just trying to get attention or whatever. so ya i guess i should kinda explain this abit more so well like, this is really hard to explain, sometimes i feel so down and crappy like it phsycally hurts to get out of bed in the morning and like theres no hope for me and i have actually tried to kill myself before(obviousley it didnt quite work) but ya then sometimes i feel so happy and just randomly excited that i wanna just run around and start danceing and its like my thoughts are being shot at me 1000 mph and i cant sit still. then sometimes those raceing thoughts actually really start to hurt like i just cant keep up and i get really anxious and adgitated and i just want to bang my head against a wall and i just get so angry for no reason i just want to punch someone (its the bathroom walls at school that usualy see most of that anger though). so ya ive done alot of reasearch on bipolar and its the only thing i can really think of that can explain all of this, i mean i have been dealing with these problem things for the past 3 years i just need something to change. i know what people would surgest i do, like go see my gp or school counceller but the thing is i have like no social skills and am super shy i hate talking to people and i dont even know if i have a gp or who he/she is. and as for the school counceller well i just dont know how i would approch that because like i said before i cant just go sayin hay me thinks i got bipolar because well people don t just go around self diagnoseing themself and id just look like some hypercondriact or what ever its called. so ya any help or advice would be welcome!!! thx

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey MetaforicalyUnhinged

Welcome to TheSite :wave:

Sounds like a pretty confusing time right now for you. It is important to note as you point out that looking up the symptoms for certain conditions online can in itself be a bit distressing and there is a tendency to self diagnose.

However, in saying that it's important to recognise how you've been feeling recently.

Speaking to a GP can be difficult but often offloading in itself can be a great relief and a positive step forward. GP's are also bound by confidentially regulations so the appointment itself should be discrete.

Contacting your local Primary Care Trust should be a good starting place if you are having difficulty finding out who your doctor is.

You could also try checking out the section on TheSite on Mental Health. It is a great resource and links to mental health specific support organistions.

http://www.thesite.org/healthandwellbeing/mentalhealth

Let us know how things go.

Phil :thumb:
    Bi-polar is a condition very similar to a few others, including ADHD, schizophrenia and personality disorders. I'm sure if you googled it you'd have all the symptoms of them too.

I've been seeing mental health professionals for over a year now, and I still haven't been given a proper diagnosis. It's by no means the most important part. In fact, it's quite a minor factor. The focus should be on you getting better, not what's wrong with you. I too have symptoms of many different mental illnesses, but truth is, hardly anyone fits perfectly into a diagnosis... so stop worrying about what's wrong with you, and try and find ways to put things right :)

First step, as you said, is seeing your GP. I know it's scary, I completely appreciate that, but it's a step you have to take. You probably need therapy and medication, just like me and so many others. GP's see it all the time, it's not new to them, they know what services can help you. If you live in the UK and are under 18, it'll be CAMHS. They are a great services, that can offer support tailored to you. They can suggest and write prescriptions for medication, offer you different kinds of therapy, and when you're old enough they'll hand you over to the adult mental health services so the support is on going.

Seeing your GP is a step really worth taking. Chances are they'll be a waiting list for CAMHS, so you have to be honest about how bad everything is at the moment (this way, they'll bump you up the waiting list as you'll be classed as an urgent case). If you don't feel able to speak to your GP you could write a letter and hand it to them to read? That works quite well. It'll probably be easier to take someone with you, even if they don't come in to see the doctor and just sit in the waiting room. You don't have to tell them why you're going, you could say something like "I've been having stomach pains". But it'll be comforting to have someone there.

Seeing you GP is the first step to recovery, you can do it :thumb:
    thnx guys for your help. i still dont know if i will be able to summon the currage to see my gp im only 14 and dont really get how the whole system works, do i have to make and appointment and if so do i do that over the phone or can i just go in and make one. im guessing i dont have to be with a parent cause if so theres not way in hell im going. damn there are so many freakin variables why does this freak me out so much? are you people sure there arnt any other ways to deal with this. i sware my brain is about to explode.
    I'm 15. It is difficult, I understand that, but you need to get help. You should phone up to make an appointment a few days before you want one.
    Hi. :wave: I'm a newbie, too. High-five. :yippe:

But worrying about seeing your GP is perfectly normal. I know I hate seeing my doctor. I find listening to music in the waiting room helps. And keeping an earphone in when I'm in the appointment, even if the music isn't on. I also feel less vulnerable with my hood up, and my GP doesn't mind, or at least he's never said that he does, but it's different for everyone, I guess.

Unfortunately, finding the best GP for you (because it's better if it's someone you feel comfortable talking to) and finding what works for you is usually an elimination process, so this won't be easy, but the road to getting better isn't going to be easy, either.

Just tell your GP what's going on. I wouldn't go in and say "Hey, I think I'm bipolar." Just let the GP do what they're paid to do and help you. From my appointment like this, it was just basically questions like "How long have you been feeling this way?" and "Are you suicidal?" and such. (I'll try and rack my brain for more questions he asked if you want to know. :D But it'll be different somewhat because, obviously, we're different people.) Be sure to mention the fact you've tried before, because it'll mean you probably won't be among the people waiting months for an appointment.

As for ringing your GP, I've never done that. So props to you if you manage to do that. But you could just get your parents to ring, saying it's something private. I'm pretty sure you're allowed to go into the GP on your own when you're fourteen. As Broken-Angel said, it'll probably make you feel better if there's someone with you.

I don't really know of any other option, sorry. You could try, I guess, herbal methods, but I don't know much about them so I can't really advise.

Hope it all works out for you. :D
    hi thx mumfocker, the questions you gave me really helped im kinda, well a major, control freak and wont go into anything unless i know exsactly what the consequences are and what will happen. thats one of the reasons i am finding it so hard to do what needs to be done, there are just so many things that could happen and go wrong and what not. as for the getting my parents to ring well i cant really do that because they would ask what its for and even if i said its personal and all my mum would be all like well ill come with you and i guess i have never been to the doctors with out my mum there and wow that sounds so lame, but anyways the thought of bringing my parents into this just sends shivers done my spine and makes me want to just go and hide in a corner. ok so say i did manadge to some how get an appointment with my gp what do i say when i go in there i mean, i dont even understand these feelings and what not so how am i ment to put them into words? man im starting to give up hope i just dont have the social confidence to walk in to some place and tell some random dude everything that scares me, i mean i can bearly hold a conversation with my closest friend. im like such a social phobe it soooooo freakin anoying, i just want to punch myself.

btw mumfocker, that is such an awsome name :) and thx to brocken-Angel and phil01 for the advice it does help just to know that you guys are behind me, sometimes i just need a little push, but i guess this is gonna take one fat ass craine. i have totaly forgoten what else i was gonna say so ya bye and thx again ow ya i remember i was gonna say sorry for any spelling mistaches im kinda dumb like that- if it was up to my dad i would have already been diagnosed with dyslexia, but my mums just like what ever get over it-
    I think you should make a list of things you would like to talk to your GP about, for example it could like this:

-Social phobia
    -Depression
    -Hyper moments
    -Anxiety
    -Would like help.

Then, depending on how severe your GP thinks your case is s/he'll either refer you to counselling or to CAMHS. There are different tiers in the mental health sector, and CAMHS is the second highest (behind hospitalization/urgent help) but don't worry about them. I don't think you need either of those at the moment. Counselling is a lower tier, where a lot of people start off, and it can really help too.
    thx guys, um i think i might have actually been refered to the CAMHS thing or some thing like that befor it was called like healthy minds or something but i somehow manadged to get out of it cause it just like totaly freaked me out. i was thinking maybe i should get some advice from school, cause we have this thing called pupil support and they do like whatever and i was thinking that if i am slowly getting the courage to go to my gp maybe i could go ask pupil support for some advice on what i should do. its still a big step for me but i figured it was a little less harder than makeing an appointment with my gp. thank you guys so much for your support i have never actually shared this much with anyone and well brought my problems into the real world as much as this, i dont think that really made much sense but anywayz i guess i have a tendancy to kinda exscape to my own world and well lose track of reality thats kinda why i find this so hard because everything i do surounding this subject just feels so wierd and wrong. xx
    Just a warning- school are not confidential. If you speak to them about self harm, mental health problems etc. they will probably speak to your parents if they are worried about you where as GP's are a lot more confidential in comparison.
    Healthy minds sounds like the lower tier counselling I mentioned, CAMHS is a separate NHS organisation with there own counselling/therapy services.
    ok thx broken-angel, i will keep that in mind. And im pretty sure you are right about the whole CAMHS thing cause if it was them it probabley wouldnt have been so easy to tell them to piss off. Its half term holidays now so i think i will wait untill school starts again to make my move, saying that i still need to grow some balls (metaphorically, i am infact female) and actually figure out if i am doing this or not. for now im just gonna chill and go back to living in my fake reality. lets just hope i dont kill myself befor then xx dnt worry i wont im in the middle of re decorating my bedroom at the moment so i have something to take my mind off things. its gonna be so totally awsome its gonna be superhero themed, man im such a little kid and a total nerd!!:)
    I can't force you to book a doctors appointment, but it would be better to do it sooner rather than later because there will probably be a waiting list.
    lets just hope i dont kill myself befor then

Sorry I'm late to the party again, but you shouldn't be living like that.

You shouldn't be hoping you won't kill yourself. You should be knowing you won't because you're not feeling depressed anymore, and that's not going to happen unless you go to the doctors.

I mean, I understand. Really. I still can't really meet doctors' eyes, and I've been seeing them regularly for two/three years now. I was lucky in that my mum was so :banghead: with me at the point I had the dreaded appointment that she didn't hold up much of a fight when I had difficulty talking to the doctor and she did most of the talking for me. Are you sure there's no one you can take with you? A friend, maybe?

Oh, I just wish I could go with you so you wouldn't be on your own. I don't know why, but you're really tugging on my heartstrings and I'm really worried, as I'm sure a lot of people are. I mean, I thought I was fooling everyone, but barely anyone was surprised when they found out I was ill. They all suspected. You'll find your family and friends know you better than you think; maybe they already suspect something is going on and they'd just be relieved that you confided in them.

So, for the sake of everyone I'm sure is worried, please go to the doctors. I know about nervousness speaking on the phone, but, to be honest, on reflection, they're the easiest conversations. You're prompted with everything you have to say. Goddammitt, if I have to ring my doctors so I can give you a play by play of what happens, I will.

Now. The doctor's appointment.

Just go in and tell the doctor you're worried. They'll probably ask what about. Just say you've been having really bad mood swings and be sure to tell them something like, "I'm sorry, it was really hard to come here today," so they know it's difficult for you and can make it as comfortable as possible for you. Hell, if that means you sitting on the bed with the curtain pulled round it and the doctor on the other side so you don't feel as pressured, I'd do it for someone, so I'm assuming a good doctor would. It's all about making you feel comfortable.

It'll be your current mood he'll probably be more worried about. It's usually people more specialized in that area that get into the specifics. And just answer his questions. It's not hard. I've found that I find talking to doctor's easier than my classmates because doctor's prompt me when I don't know what to say, where as in a real conversation you're expected to know what to say already.

If you tell him you're depressed, they'll ask about self-harm. If you have self-harmed, they'll want to know what with, when, how long, etc. And they'll want to know if you're a risk to yourself. They may ask to rate your mood, you may be asked to fill a questionnaire in. That sort of stuff.

Just remember if you don't feel comfortable, all you have to say is, "I don't want to answer that." Try your best to answer it, but if you really feel you can't then just say that.

Hope it all works out for you. :D