Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Addicted to being sick

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
It's taken me a while to have the courage to write this... but I honestly think I am addicted to being sick. I don't know what to do about it. I don't do it because of food, I just do it because I want to be sick, I like the feeling of being empty and getting everything out my stomach.

I'm sick at least twice a day normally after I've eaten, and I've started trying to be sick on an empty stomach too.

I'm not quite sure what to do about it. I'm not even sure I want to do anything about it, but I know I should because it's so bad for my body. I've mentioned it to my mental health workers, but I haven't told them the full extent. And also they said to me unless I'm sick after every meal (I'm not) they aren't too worried.

Any advice/similar experiences?

Comments

• ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl
    Firstly, well done, some people don't realize how hard it is to talk about.
    Do you think it could be part of self harm?

Although some people start that because of how they look, or over doing health and fitness, they say that it can be all about control. A lot of eating disorders can begin because they don't have or feel they have control over their own lives, controlling the intake of food (in and out) can give you satisfaction. -I think that can be addictive, feeling like you have some say over at least one thing in your life.

I never made myself sick, well not like that anyway, I use to skip meals, I would go all day without drinking or eating until I got home around 4/ 5 o'clock, and just put up with the pain. I think I was happy to hurt myself and have something in my life no one else could interfere in.
    Once I dealt with my depression my eating improved, I think it was the feeling of getting back control in my life, getting to grips with my other issues were a massive help. xx *hug*