Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

When did you start feeling like a grown up?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My mum keeps telling me how much more grown up than me my sisters were at my age, so it made me think when other people start feeling like/being a grown up.
Was there one moment when it just happened, like first moving out, or did it gradually come upon you?

I'm just curious.

Comments

• ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl
    I don't think I'll ever be a grown up. ;)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hmmm i guess when i moved out to uni and lived on my own and especially when me and friends rented our own house because we had to think about grown up things like paying the bills.

Now ive finished all that, im at home and having to think about career and getting my own place and stuff, something i CANNOT wait for! Ive just started a uni course so it wont all happen for another year or so, so feeling like a grown up has been put on hold while my mum still cooks my dinner
    I think it's different for everyone. I was always very mature and found it quite difficult to relate to people my own age, I'm only just turning 18 now and I always look at the people my own age and just find myself very different from them.
    I had to grow up fast though, keep your childhood while you can, once it's gone, it's gone :)
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Don't grow up. It's a trap.

Still don't feel grown up. Never want to.
    Weekender Offender 
    I think it's a parent thing to say, the whole 'your sisters were more grown up at your age' thing - I don't think it's actually true!

I'm nearly 27, living away from parents, travelled the world, work damn hard, and still don't consider myself grown up! I still love being looked after at times :D
    It's easy to be both mentally mature and child like at the same time. I'm mature but tend to be soft and child like around those I truly trust, it's just about letting your guard down.
    I'll let you know when it happens!
    Kaff wrote: »
    I'll let you know when it happens!

ditto!

Sometimes I don't feel all that grown up when I think about the amount of support I've had over the years but each person's circumstance is different. I think accepting help and support from others rather than refusing everyone and going it alone for appearance sake is a much more adult and mature thing to do.
    It is something that you wont truly be able to realise when it happened, until way after it has!
    I peaked at 18

It's all been downhill from there......

But seriously, I'm planning on buying a house next year, guess I'll feel grown up once I move in.
    Purple_roo wrote: »
    I think it's a parent thing to say, the whole 'your sisters were more grown up at your age' thing - I don't think it's actually true!

I'm nearly 27, living away from parents, travelled the world, work damn hard, and still don't consider myself grown up! I still love being looked after at times :D

Aye. Also, grace, you consistently underestimate what a big deal what you're doing actually is. It requires a great deal of maturity but also makes it quite likely that you need to lean heavily on your family for support when you get a chance to talk. Your mum only sees that side of things.
    According to my therapist I'm still stuck at seven... there's no hope for me growing up obviosuly! :yeees:
    I felt like I must be growing up when I started paying into a pension fund! :crazyeyes

The other milestone for me was learning to drive and having that freedom to go anywhere I liked :)

But really I reckon everyone is different and the main thing to focus on is being happy, we all do so-called grown up things at different stages and it shouldn't really matter what anyone else is doing..

8099597024_4afd508971_n.jpg
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I have mortgage, career, husband, child, car payments ... etc and I still don't feel grown up. I think it's overrated, being a grown up :p
    I guess I felt more 'grown up' when I moved out a few months ago. Considering I have a lot more responsibility, and I'm now, more independent. Think it differs from person, to person though in all honesty :)
    being grown up isnt a feeling. Its a way of acting and an acceptance of your responsibilities.

Its a fluctuating thing
    This happens to me ALL THE TIME!

i have two older sisters and one moved out when she was 19 to live with her boyfriend and the other went to university. Me on the other hand have just quit college + don't even have a job. But I feel grown up in my own way. I don't think there is a particular age or time you feel grown up it's more on how you personally feel. BUT just concentrate on you + don't compare yourself to your sisters.
    being grown up isnt a feeling. Its a way of acting and an acceptance of your responsibilities.

Its a fluctuating thing

This.

I'm 42, I still don't feel grown up. I do recognise though that I have responsibilities towards others that I should live up to.