Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

cold/nuisance calls

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:wave:

Since I've moved into my new flat (and got a new landline number) I've been plagued by cold/nuisance calls. They're mainly from companies claiming that my flatmate and I have been mis-sold PPI or that our bank accounts have been hacked and blocked. It's more of an irritation than anything else, but having someone I don't know reciting my personal details isn't doing anything to help my paranoia.

I know that on BT there's a sign up feature stopping cold calls, but I haven't been able to find anything for Orange home broadband, so I was just wondering if there's a free feature (either Orange or independent) that stops cold calls and I'm just missing it?

Comments

• Options
    Telephone Preference Service should get rid of most but I find a spot of good old fashioned abuse does wonders.
  • Options
    Or an edition of the no game. Every answer is no. Played that for 15 minutes with nPower once.
  • Options
    Had exactly the same problem and did what AR is suggesting. (tpi not the no game- although it sounds fun). It took about a week or so for it to kick in but no more nuisance calls :)
  • Options
    Or an edition of the no game. Every answer is no. Played that for 15 minutes with nPower once.

:lol:

thank you both, Telephone Preference Service was what I was looking for but couldn't find any information in it. I'll speak to the housemate later and sort it out :)
  • Options
    I had a phone call today telling me that I was owed PPI, I asked how they knew this? Listened to them give me a big talk about it, and then kindly told them I'd already claimed it back and did it all on my own because they are money grabbing b**tards.
  • Options
    We have call ID and ignore any call that isn't from a local number or someone we know. If it's important, they'll leave a message.

I found TPS helps, but a few calls still get through.
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »
    If it's important, they'll leave a message.

this is my theory, or they'll ring my mobile because I hate landlines. Spoken to my housemate about telephone preference service and she's in agreement that we're going to get it.
  • Options
    I'm registered with the TPS, so anyone who cold calls deserves what they get, especially if they're asking to speak with my late partner
  • Options
    We get nuisance calls too. We either get people who are selling stuff or where people don't say anything when you speak. Or its a recorded message.

We have got to the point where we don't say "hello" when we answer the phone.

They are all scams and they should be stopped!
  • Options
    I had someone telling me the other day that I had won an iPad, then all I had to do was sign up to buy some Euromillions lottery tickets to be able to get my iPad. I remained calm throughout what has to be swear fuelled rant worthy of an oscar.
  • Options
    Just wanted to post a couple of useful links to guides on how to deal with nuisance calls from Which? in case they're of use...

Dealing with unwanted texts and phone calls

Ten tips to stop cold calls
  • Options
    I had a scammer ring me at work a few months ago.....they didn't stick around long when I told them who they were speaking to.

Normally I just hang up on them.
  • Options
    I had a scammer ring me at work a few months ago.....they didn't stick around long when I told them who they were speaking to.

Normally I just hang up on them.
  • Options
    thanks for the links spanner :)

we haven't registered with TPS yet, never got round to it. We seem to be getting fewer cold calls now, but strangely on Wednesdays we seem to get loads. Just avoid the landline!