Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Teen Hero awards and me

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello :)
My names Emily-Jade and I was recently nominated for the teen hero award. Let me tell you why.

I've struggled with mental health for a very long time and throughout my childhood I was badly bullied online and offline even now I still get bullied but I've learnt how to handle and deal with It better at school though I didn't so in my final 2 years I started to rebel constantly angry all the time I started to take my anger out on myself and people around me, I've lost count of how many times I hit, kicked and punched teachers. I started skipping school and coming with a "I'm not doing this attitude" in a 10 week term I was excluded 9 times so I only spent one full week there. My grades dropped I started of where I was expected to get A's and to the teachers weren't sure I'd get D's. That's when they give up on me. As they took up their "you can't do this" "you’re a failure" attitude I believed it. English GCSE day I sat in the Exam I wrote my name and candidate number and nothing else. I sat and cried for about 30 minutes before I eventually passed out and went to sleep. I believed I couldn't do something so I didn't even give it a try. The bullies really enjoyed the fact I'd failed and I couldn't handle their bullying anymore. So I logged onto cyber mentors and got help for it. I started to feel better about myself to and felt like I belonged somewhere to. So I decided to become a cyber-mentor myself. I've helped hundreds of people and the feedback was amazing. I’ll never forget the kind words people have said to me "you’re an inspiration Em" "you've helped me feel so much happier" "I wish I was like you". Thanks beat bullying for helping me help others.

. I'm also a young carer my dad has terminal cancer and angina as well as mental health difficulties and being asthmatic so he would constantly be struggling to breath he lost his sight in his right eye and hearing in his left whilst having limited hearing in his right. Caring for him is a struggle and I'd stay up late at night caring for him to the point I developed insomnia. Every day I cook and clean do the laundry and go to the shops, make sure he's comfortable and then make him feel happy. I'm not sure how long I have left with him. My auntie has been diagnosed with cancer too and my granddad so I have to keep happy for everyone else that I built up a "paint the fake smile" attitude.

I started at a college and became rejected by my classmates. I wasn't the same as them. I was different everyday I'd sit on my own and if a teacher asked me a question I'd clam up. My maths class everyone was always rude to me always calling me the "weirdo" the "pointless person" I stopped attending college altogether and my attendance dropped down to 22%. Oops. Having really bad family problems I started to speak to my learning mentor Natalie who helped me to get something off my chest. Eventually she helped me move out of the situation which I was in. And move out into a safer place.

Every day I still return home to care for my dad. And my attendance increased. But I still had the "I'm just a failure" attitude. So I didn't put all my efforts in. Natalie convinced me to go see a doctor where I was diagnosed with depression and I was given new medication to control ADD too.

I left that college and this September I started at a new college. A posh college. They believe in me! They know I can reach my full potential. I feel happier. I started doing volunteering work. I walk elderly and disabled peoples dogs, I run to the shop for them, I've spent my Fridays at disabled schools and I've set up a youth centre which Is open 3 nights a week. I also made a preventing suicide website where people who are feeling suicidal have someone to talk to after my friend recently ended her own life. I set up my own charity to help the elderly too and have raised over £2,000 for different charities. This is just some of the things I've done.
On the 12th September I was taken down to London to meet Justin Bieber. I got to see the other teen hero's they are all simply amazing. Justin Bieber sang to us and we got to have our photo taken and ask questions...yes I asked how many shoes he owns (over 150: O) we had lunch in the BBC studios room and we’re given all the free food and drinks we wanted yay! We all chatted and everyone seemed so nice we also met Carly Rae Jepson and go to have photos with her and Nick Grimshaw when I was talking to other people I was like hmm I don’t seem as good as they do. Then on the 7th October was the awards yay woo yay I got a 7 seater taxi with George and his family because we were arriving at the same station so yay I didn’t get lost
So we arrived and got treated like celebs we were offered drinks and met up with everybody they all looked amazing. I was so excited. Couldn’t believe I had backstage tickets. Then it was time to go onto the red carpet we went down the back entrance where I saw one direction and I had a chat but my phone wouldn’t let me take a photo sad times then we met some paralympians and Olympians like Ellie Simonds and Louis smith they were really nice and friendly. We met loads of radio people and more celebs then we got into the limo which drove us to the front of Wembley onto the red carpet I got to step out of a limo and onto the red carpet ten thousand people screaming and wanting photos and autographs. I felt so much like a celebrity Oh my god. I've never seen so many people all in one place. I was really happy. Then it was the awards were SOOO LOUD! I had ear plugs in and I could still hear it all really loud...people we’re crying I got to meet tons of celebs like

-One direction
-JLS
Tulsa
-Taylor swift
-Grimmie
-Eastenders cast
-Holyoaks cast
-made in Chelsea cast
-only way is Essex cast
-Paralympics winners
-Olympic winners
-Singers
-Movie stars
-All the radio one presenters
-little mix
and many many more

It’s been an amazing day and I can't believe its happened. I'm so proud of everyone :):heart:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well done :thumb:
    This is amazing story, you're doing so great. You truly are an inspiration.
    Wish you good luck with everything in future too.
    :thumb: :)
    Thank-you :)
    This is a very inspirational story EmmaLee, thank you for sharing it, a massive well done :) I'm glad you enjoyed it!