Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Dying

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been here for near 4 years now, maybe longer and we'll recently thesite seems really quiet, i know the boards have been made simpler and there are less of them to post in. But i check back almost everyday to see if there anything interesting going on, and it just seems like less and less is being posted?

I get the feeling this forum is dying, or am i the only one?

Comments

• Options
    People have just gone back to school, gone away to uni etc. It always seems a lot busier during the summer when people are off, then once they have settled into new surroundings, it will get busier around here.
  • Options
    I really hope so, i'd hate to this place go. Supported me through most problems i've had...
  • Options
    Also now thesite runs a busy and popular support chat so a lot of the support is done through that whereas in the past the only option would have been the forums.
  • Options
    TheSite is likely always a victim of its own success, the forum is an ever growing collection of over 2 million posts. TheSite also features very highly on google search results, so with an ever growing number of problems that have been discussed in depth, with the online fact sheets means that people might find the solution to their problem, without having needed to post. It however will always tick over.
  • Options
    Really RandomGirl, do you have a link?
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    TheSite is likely always a victim of its own success, the forum is an ever growing collection of over 2 million posts. TheSite also features very highly on google search results, so with an ever growing number of problems that have been discussed in depth, with the online fact sheets means that people might find the solution to their problem, without having needed to post. It however will always tick over.

And that's a fair comment too, but still none of the old people on here really comment anymore. Like what happened to G, and loads of others i fail to remember their usernames off by heart.

I remember with this forum, not matter what the problem, questions or thread. People would respond, lots people. But these days i see so many posts just go away with no response.
  • Options
    Shikari wrote: »

And that's a fair comment too, but still none of the old people on here really comment anymore. Like what happened to G, and loads of others i fail to remember their usernames off by heart.

Times change. I always used to post in politics, home and law. There are less topics in those forums now, so i post less.
  • Options
    Link to chat info

They're on four times a week for two hours.
  • Options
    Like what happened to G

That would be me :)
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    That would be me :)

:lol: that tickled me.

Shikari, you're in good company bringing this up...I think that as the internet evolves and people turn to alternate networks to record their day-to-day (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr etc etc), this place comes more a landing page for specific support and sadly, we see less of the banter.

You may want in on the action here though - :d http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showthread.php/152358-SAM-s-SLEEPOVER!!-EVERYONE-s-INVITED!!

There's also something to say for growing up and moving on - the emphasis on TheSite in general is 16-25 year-olds and it feels like we probably haven't done enough to engage fresh blood over the last few years... Ideas on a postcard ;) Having said that I'm super happy that lots of older members have stayed with us, given lots back and allowed us to know them so well.

Here's a thread where you can engage with other people's perspectives on this:

http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showthread.php/150256-Did-facebook-kill-off-internet-forums

And here's a thread where you can add feedback specifically about TheSite and how you see things:

http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showthread.php/151628-Share-your-thoughts-on-TheSite.org-Boards-here!

Hope that helps. :)
  • Options
    I too have wondered about this, seems quieter than i remember. I am curious about what happened for these stats to occur though;

"Most users ever online was 29,246, 18-11-2011 at 11:53 PM."
  • Options
    I think things may have changed but it's definitely not dying or anything. People should contribute more :thumb:
  • Options
    I too have wondered about this, seems quieter than i remember. I am curious about what happened for these stats to occur though;

"Most users ever online was 29,246, 18-11-2011 at 11:53 PM."

Some database magic.
  • Options

And that's a fair comment too, but still none of the old people on here really comment anymore.
    I'm old!!!!
  • Options
    I love to lurk around the place ^^

I dont think anyone knows who I am, but I know of many people here.
    There are a couple of people I do miss seeing around :/

Lets hope wherever they are, they are happy!
  • Options
    I'm old!!!!

YES. Yes, you are.
  • Options
    I'm old!!!!

Jesus of thesite. Old as shit and keeps on returning to make sure things haven't gone to hell yet ;)
  • Options
    :yes::lol:
    I remember reaching the ripe old age of fifty on here!!!!
    Told you all about my party in a very nice house on the edge of a very nice golf course with a guy from the 1960's Liverpool music scene who was celebrating his 65th!
    He'd been smoking weed for fifty years!
    Well he's 75 now and still on his bong every night and my next birthday I'll be sixty!!!!
    How the hell did that happen I keep asking myself.
    I've stopped smoking since I last popped in to see if you'd all gone to hell ... stopped smoking everything and anything.:eek2:
    Still haven't grown up though.
    I'm aiming to do that on my last breath if possible ... timings gonna be difficult I know but we all have to have plans.
    Ald timers disease hasn't got me yet ... well I don't think it has.
    There are still a few names on here from all those years ago.
    Man of kent must be nearly fifty now!
    Rainbow bright must be in her mid forties.
    Beckyboo ... she must be in her fifties !!!!
    Hey I'm even looking like Jesus these days ... or maybe it's Father Xmas with my white beard.
    Be good and remember ... you'll all be old one day and it comes round when you aint looking!
  • Options
    That Jim fellah ... Jim V ... he'll be fifty odd won't he and Helen ... forty?
  • Options
    its not dying. people say this every now and again. Its slower than it was before facebook, but its not dying
  • Options
    I don't think Jim is 50, but at the rate he smoked back in the day he might look like it ;)

However I also heard that he had quit smoking.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I don't think Jim is 50, but at the rate he smoked back in the day he might look like it ;)

However I also heard that he had quit smoking.

:lol: I like the way you challenge Jim being 50, but not me being 40!

And the rumour that he's quite smoking...remains a rumour ;)
  • Options
    **helen** wrote: »

Yes! You are what, a mere 24 now, eh?
  • Options
    **helen** wrote: »

Oh I didn't see that bit about 40, or at least I thought it was so preposterous that it didn't need challenging :P
  • Options
    I hope that thesite will be here forever and do not die because if it does i would die too.
    i really like this place and it's a helping site too. I never had friends before, but when i started to talk here i made friends.:)
    So keep this site going for forever :thumb: :yes:
  • Options
    It's changed a lot - it seems to be more a place to get support for mental health issues (that's pretty much all that is in the health forums these days, bar the odd ones) these days. It used to be a lot more varied, and I was 15 when I first joined - I'm 22 now so growing up has a lot to do with it too.