Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

ending of URL's...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Was just wondering how come british URL's end with co.uk and not just .uk?

Comments

• Options
    Don't ask silly questions!

*Doesn't know*

Hmm... I did computing, I probably should know. Lemme think....................................................

Nope!
  • Options
    you can get just .uk urls

.co is a sub domain of .uk

for instance you can can get .org.uk, .sch.uk, .co.uk

All these are allocated to the UK, hence have .uk at the end.
  • Options
    All companys set up in the UK (as a UK address) will end .co.uk

All companys set up in the netherlands will be .co.nl

Each country has its own domain suffix, with one exception.
    That is the USA, and that tends to use .com despite .com actually just meaning company.

Basically it just defines what part of the network the domain resides on, so if you send for a page that ends .co.uk the first server you come to will know it needs to look at a UK server to find that page.

I think that nominet looks after all .uk address's, recording who owns what, and where each page is hosted, and when that right expires.

They also take care of all other .uk address's, such as .gov.uk and .me.uk.

So basically .co.uk means british comapnys. If a british comapny wanted to just have .uk at the end they would have to fight nominet (is it them???) to do it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by cokephreak
    I think that nominet looks after all .uk address's, recording who owns what, and where each page is hosted, and when that right expires.

Correct - biscuit for cokephreak :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Alistair

Correct - biscuit for cokephreak :D

Thanks for the replies, but I have to correct you!
    It's not biscuits, but lollipops that get handed out when someones been doping their homework... In some cases, even goldtsars :eek: But mostly lollipops!

:D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper

Thanks for the replies, but I have to correct you!
    It's not biscuits, but lollipops that get handed out when someones been doping their homework... In some cases, even goldtsars :eek: But mostly lollipops!

:D

You can dope homework? Well I suppose it's a different type or performance enhancing doping :p
  • Options
    Think of the internet (when it comes to domain names) backwards, firstly lets take thesite.org's webaddress:

http://www.thesite.org becomes .org.thesite.www

. = root domain suffix
    org = top-level domain
    thesite = second-level domain
    www = host name... a given domain can, potentially, contain millions of host names as long as they are all unique within that domain.

Because all of the names in a given domain need to be unique, there has to be a single entity that controls the list and makes sure no duplicates arise. For example, the COM domain cannot contain any duplicate names, and a company called Network Solutions is in charge of maintaining this list. Similarly, the UK probably wants to administrate the uk top-level domain, and NZ probably wants to administrate the nz domain, and so on. For this reason, the DNS system is a distributed database.

Each country has its own domain suffix, with one exception.
    That is the USA, and that tends to use .com despite .com actually just meaning company.

Very True, all addresses except for country suffix's tend to be directed towards the US market as being US companies, educational establishments, organisations etc. this is down to the fact that when the internet became established as a TCP/IP in 1983 by ARPAnet, they didn't except the growth it recieved.

Hense as well why they are pushing for IP V6 and the next generation of the IP protocol, they just didn't expect the growth.. its been quite astronomical! Most of the internet is still stuck on IPV4 which is over 20 years out of date, top that with rapid shortening of IP addresses and you've got a serious problem on your hands cause the internet will just simply grind to a hault! :)

You can read more about IPV6 and the various RFC (Request for Comment) documents on: http://www.ipv6.org/
  • Options
    Good history Justin ..

Have a buscuit. Its only a little soggy and hardly been chewed at all...

To give an example if how the the shortage of domain names really goes, when .uk opened up the .me.uk suffix (supposedly for personal use) over 1million were sold in the first week.

Most of them were the obviouis fun ones, like www.fuck.me.uk and the like, but still... thats a lot of adress's sold.