Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Things for Baby. What do I really need?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Would really value some level headed advice about what we really need.
:wave: Kaff, Wyetry and Arctic Roll. Plus anyone else who has experience! Doesn't have to be firsthand :)

I'm now approaching the 6 month mark and although we have quite a few things already, I feel like it's all getting a bit complicated and dont really want to waste any money on things we don't need.

Baby clothes are the most confusing things ever. I bought quite a few bits from an NCT Nearly New Sale and maybe went a bit mad.. So far I have a mixture of vests or short sleeved baby grows. Whatever is the correct terminology :confused, 6 sleepsuits (0-3 months), A snowsuit with a hood, booties and mittens (I guess an all in one coat for the winter), a romper suit, some booties and a going out outfit which I'm thinking may be good for taking baby home from hospital :)

We also have...
- what is perhaps the ugliest pram ever that we bought for £20 but I'm slightly warming to it's bright green shade now that I'm past the morning sickness..
- a baby bouncer
- a glider crib
- 2x dummies
- 1 blanket
- a bottle microwavable bottle steriliser
- a travel changing mat and bag

I'm aware we need a shedload more including mattress for the crib, changing mat but I'd really appreciate any tips on what would be a good idea to get. E.g. those lifesaver purchases. I'm having a baby shower too soon so will probably hold off buying more clothes :hyper:

I guess the stuff I'm asking about is things geared towards newborns but is it a good idea to purchase things in advance that a newborn obviously won't need until quite a while later? E.g. certain toys, books

Oh and just to add: We aren't finding out the gender until the big day so all of my clothing so far is white or yellow... Fell in love with some baby grows with trucks on even if they are apparently for boys. Screw gender stereotypes! :p

And I'm planning on feeding from the boob.

Thanks, sorry for long and rambly post :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
  • ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl
    Well in my niece's case, a cage. :naughty:

My sister was living with us at the time. And from what you have said already I think you're pretty much set.
    Don't worry about going over board where clothes as concerned, you'd be surprised how many the baby will get through. As for buying stuff the baby won't need until later, why not, they will eventually and if you can get them at a bargain price, even better.
    Adding to your list:
    -love (very important)
    -plan a bedtime and feeding routine (this will make life a whole lot easier)
    -if your baby has his/ her own room, baby monitors/ walkie talkies
    -breast pump (that way your partner can help with the night feeds and bond with the baby too)
    -car seat for newborns (if you're coming home by car, or plan short trips out)
    -some find travel cots helpful (going on holidays or visiting family for a few days)
    -some people like to have Moses baskets, I don't think you really need one if you have a cot, but its nice if you want to keep an eye on the baby downstairs instead of running up and down to check. And you won't disturb them too much if you need to move the basket.
    -a large amount of babysitters and helpers
    -stimulating mobile for the cot, anything colorful, musical (good for the baby's cognitive development, doesn't have to be on the cot)
    -and never wake a sleeping baby (that is important)

Can't think of anything else you haven't already put down, maybe my sister will remember more.
    Hope this helps. xx :wave:
    Just asked my sister. She said;
    -nappies, right size for newborns (can't believe I forgot that one)
    -formula (just in case)
    -sick blankets x2 (maybe more)
    And whatever products you start with concerning nappies and wet wipes, stick with it. If you start using Huggies, then one week switch to another brand, your baby might develop a rash.
    Reena xx
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Car seat seems the biggie that is missing from your list.

Basically, if your babba has a place to sleep and a way to get about and a way to feed then you have the essentials covered. Oh, and obv clothes but you get given loads of them.

WRT clothes, Niamh lived in sleep suits for the first 3 months. We only used pretty clothes for occasions like seeing the grandparents.

We used muslin cloths a lot and Niamh still likes them for comfort 3 years on.

If you have purchased a bottle then you need something to put in it. You can get pumps for the boob relatively cheaply even though I found the hand pumps a pain in the arse to use. A couple of cartons of formula doesn't go wrong. It's best to have as a back up in case of any issues, particularly at 3am. And if you don't use them then it's only a couple of quid wasted.

Niamh also loved her cheap and cheerful bouncer chair. We got an expensive mamas and papas one but she hated it. She much preferred the cheap boots one that wasn't battery operated.

Also, I wouldn't bother with a bath. I used to get into the bath with madam, much easier. Or use the kitchen sink. Again, much easier. Or a changing mat - a towel underneath soaks up all sorts of disasters.

Remember, after you have the basics you can add depending on your baby's needs. We re recommended swaddling blankets but Niamh hated it.

Oh, at the beginning I went through shit loads of cotton wool.

And keep en eye out for offers - to this day we have never bought full priced baby wipes. One of the supermarkets always has an offer on. Shop around.
    Thanks guys.

We are stocking up on nappies for newborns as we see them on offer. We don't drive so I keep putting off the carseat but know we'll need one for bringing baby home from hospital and I know it needs to be bought new.

Any idea on how many muslin cloths? Are they just for cleaning spillages?

Littlemissy thanks for the tip on formula. That makes a lot of sense. I can imagine panic setting in at 3am!

Are the booby pumps just to stock up on milk whilst I'm not around? Going to pick one up.. maybe we'll steer away from the hand pumps and shell out. It'd be handy because my boyfriend is going to take his paternity leave and I'd like him to be involved with feeding.

I was going to use those sleeping bags rather than swaddling, I've heard they're pretty good. I think I'm going to be really paranoid about bedtimes and am considering one of those hi-tech moniters.

I cant wait to get things for the nursery sorted and the crib set up but it'll have to wait until we move house.

Thanks for tips so far :)
    Pretty much all my knowledge of babies is from spending time with Hellfire & lolzybeth's awesome kids, but one thing thats always stuck in my head is lolz telling me the multiple uses of muslins - to go over the shoulder when burping (or cleaning up baby sick from down your cleavage as I had to do!), a sunshade over the buggy, to swaddle them if needed, something to put under them if you're using a public changing mat, a blanky when its warmer. The list is endless!

I am a huge fan of the Eric Carle books - and the ones that come in baby book variety are possibly the best! I loved being read myths when I was tiny (as I've been told by my mother) and I still have some of those books so I can send you a list of good titles.

With the bathing thing - what about a baby bucket? I remember giving their eldest a bath in their front room when he was 3/4 months old and it seemed to work a treat!

Make sure you've got essentials like nappy rash cream (Kamomilosan was what my ma used on me, and its what I use when I've run out of eczema cream), baby bathing stuff (if you have a baby shower wishlist I highly recommend the burts bees baby stuff), any stuff like that. Don't worry about getting stuff like gripe water or colic drops, my ma used to use rice water (yep, the water that you've boiled rice in) with me (but I'm happy for recommendation to be agreed with or disputed, it was well over 20 years ago!).
    From my babysitting/being a big sister experience, get some of those teething rings you put in the fridge! Like these http://www.mothercare.com/MC-Cooling-Ring-Teether/LN6352,default,pd.html
    They work miracles!
    Oh, and if you're looking for cute things, Humphrey's Corner products (including books) are the best. I still have some now :blush:
    Reena wrote: »
    And whatever products you start with concerning nappies and wet wipes, stick with it. If you start using Huggies, then one week switch to another brand, your baby might develop a rash.

That's not true, although I can see why the nappy companies would want you to think that! In fact some particular brands might give your baby nappy rash. We could never use Huggies wipes with Superbaby, or she's get sore. She's still a bit sensitive to them now. Johnsons weren't great either.

On the nappy front, I wouldn't recommend stocking up on any one type, cause some you won't like or they won't suit the shape of your baby. We were given two HUGE boxes of newborn Pampers, and I hated them. They didn't fit properly at all around her legs, and her explosive newborn shit literally just slid out. In the end I donated them to one of my friends with a newborn.

This time I'm going to use cloth nappies at least some of the time - that'll save you a bundle if you can be arsed with it. Not as much hassle as it sounds!

If you are breastfeeding, you will need a couple of nursing bras, breastpads (disposables for a few weeks while there's milk everywhere, but after that the washable ones are much softer and nicer), muslins (tuck them into your bra to stop the baby dribbling milk all down you, use as a makeshift cover while feeding in public, use as a burp cloth for less of those sick-down-the-back incidents), nipple cream (Lansinoh is expensive, but I found it the best by a mile), and feeding friendly clothes. You can buy nursing clothes, but I wouldn't bother. Just hit up Primark for some stretchy, strappy vests, and wear them under a loose top. Then when you need to feed, pull the loose top up and the vest down, and hey presto - you stay warm and covered up!

I won't be bothering with a breast pump this time. Some people like them, but the whole pumping so dad can get involved/you can have a sleep thing just didn't work for us, plus you'll need to pump anyway in between to maintain your supply. I found it better to get Mr K involved in the bathing/changing/cuddling and just did all the feeds myself. Not to mention that she would not take milk out of a bottle anyway, so my efforts were fruitless!

I used a carrier rather than a pram most of the time, but that's just preference. Not the dangly Baby Bjorn types, though!

Clothes I'd agree to stick to vests and sleepsuits for the first few months. They poo/puke over everything all the time anyway. Then you don't have to bother with socks/shoes which they just lose. Also add hats, gloves and cardigans to the list if you're having a winter baby. People will buy you things, but they tend to buy outfits/fancy things rather than boring basics. I'd want about 10 vests and 10 sleepsuits, but we don't have a dryer, so need to factor in drying time.

Sleeping bags don't do the same job as swaddling. They are great if you have a good sleeper, but their arms are free. Swaddling pins their arms to their sides so they can't startle themselves awake - Superbaby could not sleep for more than about 15 mins at a time with her arms free. You can swaddle them with a muslin when they're tiny, though, you don't need special blankets. I cut up an old flat sheet when she was bigger. They don't all need/like it, so not worth buying special stuff.

Car seats don't need to be new, but you MUST know their history. You can buy them from people who you know/trust to tell you the truth about whether they've been in an accident/been dropped.

Ooh, and also you'll need maternity/superhuge maxi pads and disposable/rubbish knickers!

Can't think of owt else at the mo, but may be back with more!
    Thankyouuu guys. This thread is really helpful and something I'll keep coming back to.

Miss Riot- I just google imaged baby buckets and they look so funny. I'm leaning towards a baby bath with a rest type thing for the baby so they don't slip and slide in my arms. I'm dyspraxic and just generally clumsy so it may give me more peace of mind.

I'm a convert to muslins now. Didn't realise they had so many uses.

I was thinking about the cloth nappies because they save money in the long run but at least for the first few days I'll use regular nappies until I feel confident. It's crazy the amount I'd need to spend on nappies especially for a newborn.

Kaff thanks for the list of breastfeeding things. The stretchy vest thing from Primark makes a lot of sense. As well as nipple cream.. I'm going to a breastfeeding session being run by the NCT in November and apparently we get to err demonstrate on a wooly baby doll and a wooly booby.

We have quite a few vests and sleepsuits but they are all a mixture of sizes. We have a few newborn size, 3-6 months, 6-9 months and 9-12. It's tricky because we have no idea how big baby is going to be. Can imagine stocking up a lot more in the early days on basics. Also have an adorable cream coloured jumper but have resigned myself to the fact it's gonna get chucked up on quite a bit.

I'm dreading using the pram mostly just because it's bulky. My boyfriend is quite sweet and already settled on the type of sling he wants- one of those front slings. But I'm guessing they cant be used all the time.
    My boyfriend is quite sweet and already settled on the type of sling he wants- one of those front slings. But I'm guessing they cant be used all the time.

Depends what type you get. Tbh I wouldn't recommend this type at all:

crotchdangler.gif

These are the cheapest kind, and what you generally see people using, but they aren't great for your baby or you. With these, the entire weight of the baby is put on their crotch, which stresses their spines and hip joints. There is also next to no neck support. And for you, the entire weight of the baby hangs around your shoulders, so you won't feel comfortable wearing them for long periods, and once they hit a certain weight, normally about 15lb+, you might struggle to wear them at all.

In a carrier where the weight of the baby is supported in a more natural position, and for you, carrying most of the baby's weight on your hips, you could literally wear them all day (except for bum changes), and they nap on and off. A lot of carriers you can even breastfeed while you're carrying them. Plus you can carry them until they're a lot older. I can still comfortably carry my 30lb 2 year old over reasonable distances in my Manduca!

Bit soapboxy there, it's a pet subject of mine!
    Kaff wrote: »
    That's not true, although I can see why the nappy companies would want you to think that! In fact some particular brands might give your baby nappy rash. We could never use Huggies wipes with Superbaby, or she's get sore. She's still a bit sensitive to them now. Johnsons weren't great either.

It's from seeing it first hand, not just with my niece.
    Can't remember what brand we used, but we ended up having to use cotton wool and water instead of wipes, and give away some of her nappies to get our usual brand.
    xx
    Reena wrote: »
    It's from seeing it first hand, not just with my niece.
    Can't remember what brand we used, but we ended up having to use cotton wool and water instead of wipes, and give away some of her nappies to get our usual brand.
    xx

Oh they deffo can have reactions, but it's because they're sensitive to the new brand rather than cause you switched them away from the old one. I buy whatever wipes are on offer, but I know to avoid Huggies or Johnsons or we end up with rashes.

Also on the wipe front, Tesco, Asda and Aldi own brand wipes are great. Tesco/Asda value ones are fab, and CHEAP, but they don't have the clicky top, which is a dealbreaker for me!

Ooh, and you'll want nappy bags.
    Cloth nappies are no hassle at all but research first. it took us ages to find the right ones and didn't really get the use out of them. Rosie's in disposables now because its taken her longer to be ready to potty train than we expected a year ago. in terms of wipes again look around; we found johnsons wipes to be excellent but the aldi ones to be too dry to move stubborn poo.
    Thanks again Kaff that info is really useful.

Could you post a pic/link to the kind of carriers you mean? I wouldnt want one that is going to stress my body out as well as baby's joints. We were looking at slings, I guess those would be pretty handy with breastfeeding too.

Yup wipes are defo on the list! As well as nappy bags. I have a nice friend who is giving us her old nappy bin. Apparently they are a godsend in the first few months for getting rid of the stinkers and keeping in the stench.

Arctic I'll do more research on cloth nappies. As I won't be working and will be stay at home for a while then I don't think I really have a legit excuse to avoid them. I'm gonna ask about them at the NCT antenatal class I think

edit: googling manduca's!! can i be nosy and ask which one you have?
    This is the Manduca I have: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wickelkinder-GmbH-Manduca-MANDUCA-Chocolat/dp/B000WIQUN6

And this is my Moby: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moby-Wrap-MW-Pacific-Pacific/dp/B002W1H6O8/ref=sr_1_4?s=baby&ie=UTF8&qid=1349205528&sr=1-4

The key for any good carrier is to make sure the baby's bum is lower than his knees (like a capital M shape), and that he is supported all the way from knee to knee. For very young babies, their legs should be 'froggied' in front of them, the same way they naturally draw up their legs when you hold them. For you, the majority of the weight should be carried around your waist or hips, and the rest spread over your shoulders and back. It's also best to get one that you can also do back carries with an older baby, cause once your baby hits about 20lbs, front carrying is going to throw your spine all out of whack!

Slings are like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Liberty-Unpadded-Sling-Black-Cotton/dp/B001GZHYXO/ref=sr_1_2?s=baby&ie=UTF8&qid=1349207092&sr=1-2

They can be good, but I was never a fan of the one shoulder carry - it made my bones hurt! Plus with a hammock style carry I always worried about positioning. In cheaper hammock-style carriers is is actually possible for a baby to suffocate because their chin tips on to their chest and they are not strong enough to tilt their heads back when they get low on oxygen. There are some simple safety tips to make hammock carries safe, but I was still too paranoid, and preferred an upright carry so I could see her all the time and keep an eye on her position!
    My sisters and sister in law have all used something like this which is supposed to be very adjustable for babies as they grow In%20the%20sling.jpg
    Thanks you two.

I'm really pining for the manduca now. I like the look of it and it looks sturdy. Think I'd like to have baby on my front rather than back too. My boyfriend fancied the sling so I'll show him the moby.

I'm hoping to go to another NCT Nearly New Sale at some point but this time with a decent list of what I need.
    The Manduca is just one brand, there are lots of similar brands that are good too - Ergo, Beco, Boba, Connecta, etc. They are all slightly different shapes, but much of a muchness, so if you're looking to buy second hand and save yourself some pennies, keep an eye out for any of them! If you're really interested in getting exactly the right one, you can find your nearest sling meet and try a few out - it's all a bit hippy dippy, but I'm quite the hippy mother anyway, so don't mind that!

The Moby is great, but honestly I think it's short-lived. I really wasn't comfortable in it for longer periods after Superbaby got to about 6 months (15lbs ish). It's so lovely and comfy when they're tiny, though, and you can just keep it on and pop them in and out as required! If you can score one for cheap I'd say it's worth it. You can also re-sell after you're done with it. On a budget, I'm not sure it'd be worth having two carriers, you might be better off just choosing your favourite.
    Tea, milk and sugar. For you.
    Tea, milk and sugar. For you.

:thumb:oo yes.

Kaff thanks I will shop around. The info about healthy positions for babies was really helpful and wil definitely factor into my decision :)
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Just hijacking to say..."HUGE CONGRATULATIONS!!" Xxx
    Bunnie wrote: »
    Just hijacking to say..."HUGE CONGRATULATIONS!!" Xxx

thanks emma!! :D great to have you back here tooooo
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Thanks my dearie :blush:
    The baby carrier thing is a tricky one, as it very much depends. We barely used our front-carrier at all, but made a fair bit of use of a backpack style carrier once Niamh was ready for it. But some friends who we leant out the front carrier to when they had their baby used it loads.

So I guess I'm suggesting borrowing one of those if you can, to see if baby and you like it.
    Everyone gets overwhelmed thinking they need a million things for their baby. The truth is, they really aren't 'that' expensive.... You need the basics. That's all. If you 'need' all the marketed (programmed 'you need' stuff) have to have stuff, then yes it's expensive, but really you don't need all that. Women have been having babies for hundreds of years.... and believe it or not they didn't have the newest cosco car seat a hundred years ago.
    JoeLeeFTW wrote: »
    Everyone gets overwhelmed thinking they need a million things for their baby. The truth is, they really aren't 'that' expensive.... You need the basics. That's all. If you 'need' all the marketed (programmed 'you need' stuff) have to have stuff, then yes it's expensive, but really you don't need all that. Women have been having babies for hundreds of years.... and believe it or not they didn't have the newest cosco car seat a hundred years ago.

Just want to point out that Clem was asking what are the BASICS she needs...
    Yup I was and would rather not scrimp too much on the car seat purely for my own peace of mind.
    And even if you did only buy the basics, baby is still going to be expensive what with food, clothes, housing etc. for at least 18 years!

How long have you got to go Clementine? :)
    I'm 6 months pregnant on Thursday :hyper:

I think at 30 weeks the panic may just set in..

The debates around motherhood have been good fun so far. A lot of people seem obsessed with whether I'm breastfeeding or not and when I tell them that I'm going to give it a good try then they seem smugly satisfied, I feel like a sell out. If I didn't want to breastfeed then their disapproval would still mean zilch to me.
    I'm 6 months pregnant on Thursday :hyper:

Ooohh exciting! :D