Home General Chat Creative Corner
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Knitting socks on circular needles

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone done this? Any good patterns for a beginner? I really haven't gotten on well with DPNs and I love circular knitting. I've just finished a cat hat for the bf (I thought he look so cute in it but he said he wouldn't think of wearing it in public :rolleyes: ) and I'm looking for medium sized projects. I thought socks were a good idea especially this time of year. I've also got some cable needles so I've been thinking about starting on something cable-ish.

Any ideas? I've had a good look on ravelry but no joy!

Comments

• Options
    I do two circular needles. I tried the magic loop (one long circular needle) but I didn't much like it.

You can use any needle with any pattern, really, instead of 4DPN, just ignore when they make references to needle 1, needle 2 etc and just keep track of the stitches.

For the two, I just put half of the stitches on one and the other half on the other and just knit each part as if they were two seperate needles. I don't know if it makes much sense, or if the picture helps at all. I suck at explaining things :\

And dont' feel bad, my tardo boyfriend wouldn't wear any knitted things either. At least my dad is a fan of obnixious knitted socks :D
  • Options
    Two circs is a genius idea! I quite like DPNs, but I HATE magic loop, so that would be a good alternate plan.

For your first socks, I'd probably go with something simple, like: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/back-to-basics. You'll have enough trouble working out toes and heels without fannying about with overly complex stitch patterns!
  • Options
    I knit a lot of socks but I use dpns. I do have a pattern that is toe up on two circs with colourwork but I have been putting it off as I've never done that method. I agree with Kaff that it's probably easiest to start with plain socks as they do take a bit of getting used to. Sock knitting is pretty addictive I have to warn you!
  • Options
    Magic looooooooop <3.

Honestly, as you can probably tell, it's best to try a bunch of methods and find what works for you. If you do magic loop, though, make sure your cable is plenty long enough because magic loop on a short cable is a pain in the backside.