Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Bipolar?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
One day I feel totally normal and happy, the next I'm having mental breakdowns and attempting suicide?

Am I bipolar and is there anything I can do to fix this?

Comments

• Options
    Hiya asyaa

Well done for finding the courage to talk about this, and welcome to TheSite! :wave:

Firstly, only a doctor can offer you a diagnosis. We can talk to you about what you're feeling, but we're not professionals here. There are a number of ways that mental health conditions can be treated by a doctor, or a counsellor/therapist.

From my limited knowledge, what you have described doesn't sound like bipolar disorder. I was once told by a psychiatrist that for bipolar to be diagnosed, the sufferer must experience periods of mania lasting for at least two weeks. Obviously there are variants, but what you describe as being 'normal and happy' doesn't sound like a manic episode. What do you think?

Please do keep talking, and I would encourage you strongly to visit your GP. When you're tempted to attempt suicide, you should go to A&E if you can face it and ask to speak to the duty psychiatrist.
  • Options
    asyaa wrote: »
    One day I feel totally normal and happy, the next I'm having mental breakdowns and attempting suicide?

Am I bipolar and is there anything I can do to fix this?

Does this happen as a reaction to something happening? Is it gradual or does your mood change within minutes? Do you have any friends that you could speak to or confide in about your feelings, if you think that you would be able to trust them?
  • Options
    I'm being treated with a mood stabiliser, as my psych doc thinks I may be bipolar. I have a few months feeling suicidal and unable to do anything (I can honestly say, I have never felt such depths of depression as I have recently) and sometimes a few weeks of being hyper and feeling invincible.

Nobody here can diagnose you... The human mind is complex. Some people may be diagnosed as having a personality disorder, cyclothymia, bipolar two, thyroid problems, drugs use... Lots of things can cause mood swings.

I have found the following community useful and I think it would be useful even if eventually, you are not diagnosed with bipolar.

BipolarUk

Go to a doctor and tell them that you are feeling suicidal. If you don't have a fixed GP, call your Drs reception and ask to be booked in to a GP, but ask nicely if you can have one who is understanding, as you want to discuss a sensitive issue. I had an unprofessional GP before, but the staff at my surgery were kind enough to book me to a couple of lovely people after.

I know people often talk about calling the Samaritans, but I found Sane to be one of the best I've used.

A couple of things I try to remember when I am feeling suicidal and low:
    • Feelings don't last forever, they're passing like the seasons. You may feel like you're screaming, or numb inside, but this will pass.
    • It's OK to feel like this, but try if you can, to do one positive thing that day... Even if it it just taking a bath, or even if you make it out of your house to buy a smoothie, or if you look in to something you enjoy. Take baby steps when you feel low.
    • Avoid alcohol and drugs like the plague if you're a drinker. If you crave carbs, or sugary foods, try not overload on them, as it'll leave you feeling crappy (sweet and certain foods can cause your sugar levels to peak and crash).
    • If you need to sleep, sleep.
    • Try to go out and walk if you can... Exercise and fresh air can help ground you.

You could also keep mood diaries, but note any medication you take, if/how much you drink or use drugs, if anything happens that day...

I hope you're OK and keep us posted on how things progress for you.

Take care of yourself. x