Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Legalize It!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello, all. I would like to hear your opinions on whether or not cannabis should be legalized. In my opinion, why should we have violent alkies running around (not trying to insult anyone) instead of stoned, calm hippies? :chin: Think about it, and here's a website to back up my theory, http://www.saferchoice.org/content/view/24/53/ .
I truthfully, as a person who has only used in moderation agree with Bob Marley.

"Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction.”

sorry if i broke any rules or hurt anyone's feelings, i'm just curious as to your views on the matter.

Comments

• Options
    I personally don't give a fuck if its legalised of not. My only real concerns are however that i've caught kids smoking it just before and during school and then spending the rest of the day rocking off their tits or throwing up.

I know there are arguments for and against, this "stoned calm hippies" is just a small subsection of smokers. I know people who after long term use, or use that coincides with an existing mental health problem who are quite literally fucked in the head. They're either incapable of stringing more than a few words together or they have huge problems keeping their temper.

That said, I know people who smoke it once in a blue moon who don't suffer any long term effects (that we can see).

The point is though, modern cannabis can be dangerous. Lots of us can all share anecdotal evidence of people who have smoked huge amounts of it and are now suffering mentally because of it.
  • Options
    I can't smoke it, it makes me terribly paranoid. Seriously unhappy, so it can't be that harmless.
  • Options
    *Legalise. TheSite is a UK website.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    I can't smoke it, it makes me terribly paranoid. Seriously unhappy, so it can't be that harmless.
    WEll, it depends on what you smoke and where you get it from, if the person you got it from is some sleaseball, they may lace it. there's types such as White Widow that has effect such as "shrooms" you have to be really smart about your weed.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    I personally don't give a fuck if its legalised of not. My only real concerns are however that i've caught kids smoking it just before and during school and then spending the rest of the day rocking off their tits or throwing up.

I know there are arguments for and against, this "stoned calm hippies" is just a small subsection of smokers. I know people who after long term use, or use that coincides with an existing mental health problem who are quite literally fucked in the head. They're either incapable of stringing more than a few words together or they have huge problems keeping their temper.

That said, I know people who smoke it once in a blue moon who don't suffer any long term effects (that we can see).

The point is though, modern cannabis can be dangerous. Lots of us can all share anecdotal evidence of people who have smoked huge amounts of it and are now suffering mentally because of it.
    Well, define "long term" i've been smoking for five years. and as for the whole before/after school thing, i've noticed that the herb helps me get good grade on a test.... High life, high day, high score.
  • Options
    Well, define "long term" i've been smoking for five years. and as for the whole before/after school thing, i've noticed that the herb helps me get good grade on a test.... High life, high day, high score.

I find it incredibly hard to believe that smoking dope makes you perform better in exams.
  • Options
    I find it incredibly hard to believe that smoking dope makes you perform better in exams.

Well, it calms your nerves and helps to focus. I am a straight A student, and already have a scholarship or two under my belt ;)
  • Options
    If it's worked for you, then great. I've seen a lot of people where it has had the opposite effect.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    WEll, it depends on what you smoke and where you get it from, if the person you got it from is some sleaseball, they may lace it. there's types such as White Widow that has effect such as "shrooms" you have to be really smart about your weed.

Lace it with what exactly?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Lace it with what exactly?
    Speed mainly, some mix it wth heronie or extacy.
  • Options
    Speed mainly, some mix it wth heronie or extacy.

No they don't. It's a big myth.

First of all Amphetamine Sulphate (Speed) and MDMA (Ecstasy) cannot be smoked, they don't work like that..
    Secondly all three drugs are more expensive then weed, so it would make no sense financially to lace weed with these drugs. It just doesn't happen. Cocaine, ecstasy, and heroin are frequently adulterated with cheaper chemicals so that dealers can maximize profit, but people don't secretly lace weed that they're selling with more expensive drugs.
    Heroine is a female hero by the way. Heroin is the correct spelling.

There are plenty of strong arguments for legalising cannabis, but you haven't put many of them forward.
    Though I don't smoke it anymore I'd like to see cannabis and a few other drugs such as ecstasy and heroin legalised and properly controlled mainly due to the fact tha, criminalising drugs tend to only increase the harm they do.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Though I don't smoke it anymore I'd like to see cannabis and a few other drugs such as ecstasy and heroin legalised and properly controlled mainly due to the fact tha, criminalising drugs tend to only increase the harm they do.

See, this is the argument. Weed affects me funny, but I don't drink either for similar reasons.
  • Options
    No they don't. It's a big myth.

First of all Amphetamine Sulphate (Speed) and MDMA (Ecstasy) cannot be smoked, they don't work like that..
    Secondly all three drugs are more expensive then weed, so it would make no sense financially to lace weed with these drugs. It just doesn't happen. Cocaine, ecstasy, and heroin are frequently adulterated with cheaper chemicals so that dealers can maximize profit, but people don't secretly lace weed that they're selling with more expensive drugs.
    Heroine is a female hero by the way. Heroin is the correct spelling.

There are plenty of strong arguments for legalising cannabis, but you haven't put many of them forward.

okay, then explain to me how i got drug tested for a job two days after going on the ride on my life from a bowl of purple haze (wich is supposed to calm ) and they found PCP? hm? I've never done PCP ever. and, yes you can smoke extacy, it actually makes it so strong, it's dangerous. i have done it before and mind you, if i had taken one more toke i would've been dead. >.> nice ride though, scary asfk. You have a point, criminalizing drugs does make the matter worse, but let me say this.

There is so many deaths from alcohol. So many alikes are violent, even kill themselves. If you would have cheked out the site i gavve up there you would read the statistics and know. Bud is safer than booze, so why the hell is booze legal, and bud not?
  • Options
    okay, then explain to me how i got drug tested for a job two days after going on the ride on my life from a bowl of purple haze (wich is supposed to calm ) and they found PCP? hm? I've never done PCP ever. and, yes you can smoke extacy, it actually makes it so strong, it's dangerous. i have done it before and mind you, if i had taken one more toke i would've been dead. >.> nice ride though, scary asfk. You have a point, criminalizing drugs does make the matter worse, but let me say this.

There is so many deaths from alcohol. So many alikes are violent, even kill themselves. If you would have cheked out the site i gavve up there you would read the statistics and know. Bud is safer than booze, so why the hell is booze legal, and bud not?

It's entirely possible for weed to be cut with a cheaper drug, I don't know the cost if PCP, it's not very common here. As I said adulterants are found in drugs when a dealer wants to bulk out his product to increase profits. I've seen sand added to weed before to increase weight and I've seen all sorts of shit added to resin. Think logically though, will adding ecstasy, speed or heroin increase profitability? No. And that's why it doesn't happen.
    Same reason ecstasy pills aren't laced with cocaine or heroin.

MDMA is not smokable. I've tried smoking MDMA, it doesn't work. The temperature required to vaporize it will destroy it and you'll end up inhaling a gas that is in all likelihood very toxic. In theory, MDMA freebase is smokable, but not really - in freebase form, MDMA is a highly caustic oil.

The fact that alcohol is legal and causes social problems is not a logical argument for legalising cannabis. It's only an argument for criminalising alcohol. Rather than comparing it to other drugs try to make an argument for it in it's own right. Why soul legalising weed be better for society than keeping illegal.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options

The point is though, modern cannabis can be dangerous

Sorry, may have to pull you over on a small point, modern strains don't actually contain a lot more THC than 25 years ago. See Ben Goldacre's Bad Science book or website. There is only a small increase, certainly nothing like the 25x times some newspapers reported. That said, i believe the perceived effect of the small increase to the user (me!) is quite marked.

As to the legality or not, i think decriminalisation for growing and posession is fine, if you can prove it will remove a revenue stream from criminal gangs. Aside from the addiction/mental health issues, the main argument i have with the current system is that it places a lot of money in criminal hands.
  • Options

The point is though, modern cannabis can be dangerous

Sorry, may have to pull you over on a small point, modern strains don't actually contain a lot more THC than 25 years ago. See Ben Goldacre's Bad Science book or website. There is only a small increase, certainly nothing like the 25x times some newspapers reported. That said, i believe the perceived effect of the small increase to the user (me!) is quite marked.

As to the legality or not, i think decriminalisation for growing and posession is fine, if you can prove it will remove a revenue stream from criminal gangs. Aside from the addiction/mental health issues, the main argument i have with the current system is that it places a lot of money in criminal hands.
  • Options
    It's entirely possible for weed to be cut with a cheaper drug, I don't know the cost if PCP, it's not very common here. As I said adulterants are found in drugs when a dealer wants to bulk out his product to increase profits. I've seen sand added to weed before to increase weight and I've seen all sorts of shit added to resin. Think logically though, will adding ecstasy, speed or heroin increase profitability? No. And that's why it doesn't happen.
    Same reason ecstasy pills aren't laced with cocaine or heroin.

MDMA is not smokable. I've tried smoking MDMA, it doesn't work. The temperature required to vaporize it will destroy it and you'll end up inhaling a gas that is in all likelihood very toxic. In theory, MDMA freebase is smokable, but not really - in freebase form, MDMA is a highly caustic oil.

The fact that alcohol is legal and causes social problems is not a logical argument for legalising cannabis. It's only an argument for criminalising alcohol. Rather than comparing it to other drugs try to make an argument for it in it's own right. Why soul legalising weed be better for society than keeping illegal.

In all honesty, I believe its more of a help than a hindrance. Instead of giving a back pain or migranes patient an extremely addictive pain killer like morphine, percocets or haldol give them Cannabis, it's less of a risk and provided i have scoliosis, with major back pain, i know it helps more than the above, and is less addictive (i'm not saying its not completely addictive, but it's better)
  • Options
    It should be legal and there should be completely unbiased advice available to people wanting to make a decision about whether to smoke it or not. I've had plenty of good times smoking weed but abused it and now it just makes me paranoid. I wish I'd had the foresight and sense to moderate my consumption. I envy people who've been sensible with it and still enjoy a joint or two every now and again.
  • Options
    It should be legal and there should be completely unbiased advice available to people wanting to make a decision about whether to smoke it or not. I've had plenty of good times smoking weed but abused it and now it just makes me paranoid. I wish I'd had the foresight and sense to moderate my consumption. I envy people who've been sensible with it and still enjoy a joint or two every now and again.

exactly the same story for me. Smoked it too hard and now it makes me think too much and I get the paranoia.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    There's more than an element of politics to this. Which government wants to go down in history as 'the party that legalised drugs'? Even for for many it could be a vote-winner :yeees:
  • Options
    Make it legal, but don't make it easy to get a hold of.

Alcohol should be more restricted than it is. MDMA should be reclassified too. Maybe even licenced.
  • Options
    ALL drugs should be legal.
  • Options
    ALL drugs should be legal.

There's some horrible shit out there, stuff I wouldn't inflict on people I hate. Crystal meth? Or that other one that has made a few people in the USA start trying to eat people/go batshit crazy.
  • Options
    There's the really crazy krokadil drug in russia that crops up too.
  • Options

I (and probably everyone else) could also share plenty of anecdotal evidence or news we've read about alcoholics and drunk-drivers. Abusive men who get wasted and beat their wives & kids, or destroy property, people who piss and get sick on the streets, people who die from alcohol poisoning people, drunken people who choke on their own vomit during their sleep, etc.

I'm aware the bad effects of alcohol doesn't equate to being a good argument for legalising cannabis or other drugs, but the point is, it's immensely hypocritical and inconsistent of society/the government to do that while preaching about "saying no to drugs" which a lot of people can't take seriously.

OP: I do think cannabis should be legalised, not that I smoke it. I just think people should have the right to make adult choices about these kind of things. There are already legal penalties for getting high and driving or operating machinery, so all that is completely moot.
  • Options
    Threxy wrote: »
    I (and probably everyone else) could also share plenty of anecdotal evidence or news we've read about alcoholics and drunk-drivers. Abusive men who get wasted and beat their wives & kids, or destroy property, people who piss and get sick on the streets, people who die from alcohol poisoning people, drunken people who choke on their own vomit during their sleep, etc.

You're not wrong, I more than anyone can probably give you thousands of stories about people who've overdone the beer, but then this isn't a discussion about the harmful effects with alcohol. This is a discussion around the fact that cannabis really isn't as harmless as people think.
    Short term there is no doubt alcohol is more harmful, it's what we teach kids in Dare. Long term? You could stop drinking and your body will repair itself fairly quickly unless you've really overdone it. I don't believe the same can be said for cannabis, at least not in terms of damage to the mind.

There's also a question of amount. If I drink a couple of pints of beer, I'll get a nice warm fuzzy feeling inside but I won't suffer any ill effects. If I drank a couple of pints every night (like I do when I'm on holiday) will I affect my body in a negative way except maybe by putting on weight? No, I won't. I won't even get drunk, my body will flush the toxins out fairly within a few hours.
    Can the same be said if I smoked a couple of spliffs every day? What sort of long term cumulative damage am I doing then?

I suppose the best evidence of this would be a blood test. If I drank a couple of pints on a friday and smoked a couple of spliffs, and had a blood test on Monday, would there be any evidence of the alcohol at all? What about the cannabis?

As I said, alcohol when overdone can be harmful and destructive, especially in the short term, and I agree in some cases can be more destructive than any other drug, except perhaps crystal meth and that other one that makes you want to eat people. Just because it is, doesn't mean Cannabis is safe. The effects are different, they may take longer to manifest themselves, but they are still there.
  • Options
    You're not wrong, I more than anyone can probably give you thousands of stories about people who've overdone the beer, but then this isn't a discussion about the harmful effects with alcohol. This is a discussion around the fact that cannabis really isn't as harmless as people think.
    Short term there is no doubt alcohol is more harmful, it's what we teach kids in Dare. Long term? You could stop drinking and your body will repair itself fairly quickly unless you've really overdone it. I don't believe the same can be said for cannabis, at least not in terms of damage to the mind.
    Apart from those already predisposed to or are diagnosed with certain mental disorders such as Schizophrenia or Bipolar Disorder (in which smoking cannabis is just one risk factor, may I add), can I ask if there's any medical evidence which points to that assertion?

Anecdotally everyone I know who cut down on or stop smoking weed for a while get better after a while if they've been suffering from paranoia. Your brain can heal itself as much as the rest of your body can.
    There's also a question of amount. If I drink a couple of pints of beer, I'll get a nice warm fuzzy feeling inside but I won't suffer any ill effects. If I drank a couple of pints every night (like I do when I'm on holiday) will I affect my body in a negative way except maybe by putting on weight? No, I won't. I won't even get drunk, my body will flush the toxins out fairly within a few hours.
    Can the same be said if I smoked a couple of spliffs every day? What sort of long term cumulative damage am I doing then?

If you drank a couple of pints of beer every day generally you would get health problems as you got older, particularly in the liver... and smoking cannabis every day while on a 7-14 day holiday would not leave any long-term effects, no different to getting wasted every day on holiday.
    I suppose the best evidence of this would be a blood test. If I drank a couple of pints on a friday and smoked a couple of spliffs, and had a blood test on Monday, would there be any evidence of the alcohol at all? What about the cannabis?

Cannabis only stays in the blood stream for a few hours. No different to alcohol. So neither would show up in a blood test on Monday....
    As I said, alcohol when overdone can be harmful and destructive, especially in the short term, and I agree in some cases can be more destructive than any other drug, except perhaps crystal meth and that other one that makes you want to eat people. Just because it is, doesn't mean Cannabis is safe. The effects are different, they may take longer to manifest themselves, but they are still there.

No drug (legal or otherwise) are totally safe, but cannabis is not dangerous enough to be outlawed, and in any case, the current prohibitionist laws in society simply don't work - it's just one continuous gold mine for gangs. At least if it was legal it could be taxed and even if not then people could grow it themselves without their money going towards other crimes (and without getting their door kicked in by the police).
  • Options
    I swear this thread has been running for ten years now ...
  • Options
    It does rear its head every now and again I think!
  • Options
    It's always nice to get a fresh take on it.