Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

I have heard that IUD's do not work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have heard that IUD's do not work. Your thoughts please?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    About the IUD: Clicky Here

That's the NHS website and is based on best research evidence.
  • *Holly**Holly* Deactivated Posts: 140 Helping Hand
    Hey Haseo

IUDs are actually a very effective contraception device against pregnancy. Almost 99%! And you don't have to remember to do anything once it's up there.

People always have lots of questions about the coil, so TheSite wrote this article - the coil unravelled - here. I suggest you have a read of it and come back if you have any further questions.

It's worth pointing out that IUDs do NOT protect you from STIs. In fact, the lengths of wire that hang down from an IUD can act as a ladder for STIs like Chlamydia and make them spread faster. So you have to be extra certain your partner is STI free before you rely on them completely.

From your other posts, it sounds like you're really considering all the contraceptive options out there for you. This is great but it can be a bit overwhelming. Fortunately, Brook have got an amazing online contraception tool that can help you pick the right one for you. It's worth having a play with it and seeing what you think.

If you have any more questions, do not hesitate to ask. :)

Holly
    who told you that?

both the mirena and the copper IUD are both more effective than sterilisation.
    theyre one of the most effective contraceptions available
    I had the coil (IUS mirena) for about 4 years, and whilst most times i used condoms as well for STI protection, the times when i didn't use another form of protection did not result in me getting pregnant, so it was effective for me.
  • ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl
    Haseo wrote: »
    I have heard that IUD's do not work. Your thoughts please?

Well it didn't work for my Aunt 9 years ago, now I have a wild cuz. But no contraceptive is 100% reliable, not even condoms that's why some recommend the 'dutch method' I think that's the name. Where you use condoms and the pill together.
    Hope you get your answer xx.
    Reena wrote: »
    Well it didn't work for my Aunt 9 years ago, now I have a wild cuz. But no contraceptive is 100% reliable, not even condoms that's why some recommend the 'dutch method' I think that's the name. Where you use condoms and the pill together.
    Hope you get your answer xx.

That's more about STD than contraception. Both together will make no difference when it comes to contraception because the same failure rate will apply - remember both can fail at exactly the same time because neither is 100% effective.
    99% effective means that of 100 women that use it properly for a year only one will get pregnant. So if you consider "work" to mean "will prevent you getting pregnant" then, no it doesn't work. All it does is much reduce the chances of you becoming pregnant.