Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Safe Sex

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Are condoms enough if used properly without breaking?

Also I am not even sure if I am fertile since my period is insanely unbalanced. I can literally have my period go for 3 weeks at a time or less. It has skipped up to about 6 months and I was a virgin at the time.

I dislike the views on sex having to be just for marriage. I do plan on being responsible though. I have checked if he as any STDs and whatnot.

Any advice...?

Comments

• Options
    Personally I wouldn't like to rely solely on condoms because there is quite a large margin for error / they can break etc. I would consider somee additional contraception AS WELL AS condoms as other contraceptions are more reliable against pregnancy but don't provide protection against stds. In the past I have used the pill plus condoms at the same time.
  • Options
    *Holly**Holly* Deactivated Posts: 140 Helping Hand
    Hey Haseo

It's great that you're taking contraception seriously and asking these questions. If condoms are used properly, they're 98% effective agaisnt pregnancy and STIs. We've got articles explaining all the different types of contraception here, if you fancy reading more on what's available to you. But using condoms is really important when you're having sex with someone new - for oral sex as well as regular sex - until you've both had STI tests.

How long has it been since you started your period? They can take years to settle down. Don't assume your irregular periods mean you're safe from getting pregnant, so please use protection. If you want to talk more about your periods you can consider visiting your GP.

Hope that helps, if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask :)

Holly
  • Options
    Personally, I think if you are in a stable relationship, and you both know you're free from STI's, and trust each other, then you could use a different form of contraception instead of a condom.
    But, if you want to use condoms as well that's totally up to you, it is the only form of contraception that protects against STI's. :)
    And I think you should always use condoms if it's a one night stand or something not so serious!!
    Just remember, that even if you use two forms of contraception (e.g. Condom's and the pill) you are still NOT 100% protected. There will always be a chance of getting pregnant.

Go down to your local Sexual Health clinic, and they'll be able to advice you on what contraception would be the most suitable for you. There's loads of options. Personally, I didn't like the pill so much, because there's always a chance you might forget it. I have the implant now, and I find it very good. But it's all down to personal preference. It's definetly worth getting a contraception for yourself though, like the pill or something, because sometimes in the heat of the moment condoms can be forgotten!

I'm sure you know already, but never use two condoms at once (they'll rub against each other and break), only use water based lubrication with condoms, and if you feel more comfortable using a condom than just having another form of contraception don't let him pressure you into not using one. It's always worth keeping a few condoms in your bag, so if he uses the "oh sorry I forgot to bring one" excuse you can have one to give him :thumb:

Always check the seal and date on condom packets before use... and remember you can get them (and lube) for free at your local clinic.
  • Options
    How much is an implant without insurance? Also which one do you have? How long is it effective?
  • Options
    It's been 5 days since I have had sex (when this is posted). I plan on checking if I am pregnant and taking whichever course of action I see fit if I am. He basically just loosened me up because apparently people are very fertile their first time. How soon would I be able to test myself from something from Walgreens such as first response? I already know I can't afford a child so I don't plan on bringing one in. If I do eventually want one I will adopt from the plentiful amount of children out there. Also I seem to be continuously bleeding a bit such as if I was on my period. But my blood is dark brown which doesn't surprise me. Though I haven't been eating alot or drinking alot lately now which is why there isn't alot of bleeding I think. I do poop more which is normal for my period. lol
  • Options
    Haseo wrote: »
    How much is an implant without insurance? Also which one do you have? How long is it effective?

Are you not in the UK?
    This website is based in the UK (although there are users from other countries) so most the advice given will be based on what happens here. Over here, contraception including implants are free. But I don't know about anywhere else sorry!

There's only one implant you can get in the UK I think, and it lasts for 3 years.
  • Options
    I live in the united states texas.
  • Options
    Haseo wrote: »
    I live in the united states texas.

Hi Haseo, as B-A says, this website is based in the UK so all of our information articles relate to how things work in the UK and over here you can get contraception free of charge..

These websites might we worth a try for you for US specific info as they are based in the US:

Go Ask Alice
    Scarleteen
    Teenwire
    I Wanna Know

Plenty of people from other countries do use this website so you're welcome to stick around but it's just worth keeping in mind in terms of services and websites we link to around the website.

:)
  • Options
    yes condoms are safe as they say it is. but try to be on pill if you are a girl. and always choose a good brand of Condoms