Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

To much coffee?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am drinking about 5-6 mugs of really strong coffee (a big heaped tea spoon) a day, do you think thats to much from a health point of view? I would really love to get into those herbal teas but i just cant find any that are as satisfying as a big mug of coffee.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Depends what you mean by health. Caffeine causes your heart to race and can release cortisol, the stress hormone, so it's not a brilliant idea to drink loads and loads and loads of it. Cortisol can cause you to put weight on, especially around the middle. But a few cups of instant coffee shouldn't be too bad, it's not like you're guzzling pints of Red Bull every day. It's probably a good idea to try and wean yourself off- if you want coffee, try decaffeinated coffee instead.

Herbal teas are lovely if you find the right one, but I always find they smell better than they taste.
    Depends what you mean by health. Caffeine causes your heart to race and can release cortisol, the stress hormone, so it's not a brilliant idea to drink loads and loads and loads of it. Cortisol can cause you to put weight on, especially around the middle. But a few cups of instant coffee shouldn't be too bad, it's not like you're guzzling pints of Red Bull every day. It's probably a good idea to try and wean yourself off- if you want coffee, try decaffeinated coffee instead.

Herbal teas are lovely if you find the right one, but I always find they smell better than they taste.

I never knew that, i stoped drinking tea with milk and took to coffee as i figured there cant be hardly any calories in black coffee.
    Still at least i know my tummy is caused by coffee and not peanut butter on toast and maltesers, thats good to know :thumb:
    No, the peanut butter and the malteasers make you put the weight on, but your body stores the calories in a different way if you're in fight-or-flight mode. Apparently.

Red Bull is the real loopy juice though. I see so many teenagers walking round with massive bottles of it, or Monster, or similar. It's no wonder they all act like they have ADHD.
    As Arctic Roll has touched on already, coffee is one of those things that's fine in moderation. Six cups a day sounds like a lot. I have two to three a day if I'm drinking coffee that day, or none at all if I'm drinking tea.

I think herbal teas are shit, but I like english breakfast tea, earl grey, chamomile tea, and peppermint tea which all actually taste fairly decent.
    That's a fair amount of coffee. I know our work medics would be advising cutting back at that quantity (although we get decent coffe, rather than instant).

I'm a 'hippy' tea drinker all the way, and have converted a few colleagues. Good ones to try are Strawberry & Mango, Blueberry & Apple, Cranberry & Orange or peppermint / the mint combos if you're not into fruit. Stay away from blackcurrant, it's naff.

It's also pretty key to make them with boiling water, and leave the bag in. Otherwise you don't get the same taste.

Or try swapping some for decaff.
    Chai tea is nice and has quite a strong earthy taste.
    I drink a fair bit of lemon and ginger tea or the raspberry strawberry loganberry one which is good. I find I am climbing the walls and getting seriously anxious if I drink more than 3/4 cups of coffee so I would say it isn't great. The chai latte stuff you can get from the supermarket is ace! I have it with cold milk when I can't sleep and it works a treat.
    I can often end up having four or five cups of coffee on a bad day, maybe that's my problem.

Fruit teas need to be left to stew for a long time, far longer than with a black tea. I quite like Roobios tea, although that's one that you either love or hate (I love it, my wife thinks it tastes of sweaty feet).
    I think my main worry is that i drink it so strong, i am probably having maybe a normal teaspoon and a half so that could work out at about 9 teaspoons a day which sounds way to much and is probably why i am edgey and tired a lot of the time.
    Already had two cups this morning although i will be out for most of the day so wont have much today. I will try some fruit teas the Strawberry and Mango sounds delicous.
    Glad Arctic Roll pointed out it was'nt helping my diet.