Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Enough is enough...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've actually had it. Everyone keeps telling me I'm not a quitter...but actually sometimes so much gets thrown at you that quitting is the only option. I've lost so much and yet still I keep getting more crap thrown at me. I went to an interview today and it was awful. How can anyone be too bloody overqualified for a job. What exactly is the point of working all the hours god sends to get as much experience as you can to be told you are either too good for the job, still not experienced enough or lacking a certain qualification (e.g. a GCSE) yet you have FE/HE qualifications that are worth more.
I am currently in limbo with further counselling, etc and yes I could go back to my GP but I'm already on 2 waiting lists.
If one more person tells me I should count myself lucky because there are people going through much worse than me losing my Dad/because I already have a job or tell me that everything happens for a reason, I will scream. Yes that may be true but right now it doesn't help me and it doesn't make me feel better.
Completely unlike me; I cried all the way home from my interview, all the way to the gym, all the way through my gym class and all the way home. Did it make me feel better? No.
I don't expect something for nothing. I expect to work hard. But why bother when it all gets thrown back in your face. Nothing is good enough. I never seem to be good enough for anyone. I just give up.
I feel like my current job is making me ill. It stresses me out so much that I am constantly exhausted. It's far too pressurised and it doesn't matter how many times I tell the relevant people - still they continue to throw more and more at me and expect more and more. And yes maybe I should count myself lucky that I have a job but I don't consider myself lucky when restructuring means I could face losing my job within my current department and I don't want to move dept when I have all my experience in my current one and it has some relevance to my degree.
Sorry for ranting. I know this is all jumbled but I have the 6 month anniversary of my Dads death next week and this stupid crap with my career that is just getting worse and I've just had it. :(:crying:

Comments

• Options
    You've gone through a lot. Too fucking overqualified is a bitter pill to swallow, but there are practiced answers for getting around that. Perhaps though, you'll think of aiming a bit higher.

You are coping remarkably well, and just because your weren't in the Rwandan genocide or a victim of the nazi holocaust doesn't mean you haven't taken an extremely heavy blow.

Take a deep breath, let yourself have a little meltdown, and see if you can't pick yourself up again in a day or two.
  • Options
    I could have been honest and told them that I had, had a really tough few months and why and that's why I was looking to take a step back from my responsibilities; however, I didn't want to go down that route. I also don't want to be aiming for jobs which matches my current level of responsibility, I need a break from it whilst I finish my degree. Even asking about promotional opportunities was the wrong question to ask!! How can someone be too ambitious!!!!!!! Arghh I have lost all faith in this world...it's a load of rubbish!!!
  • Options
    its hard, possibly not the right place for you. But any rejection will be difficult at the moment.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    You are coping remarkably well, and just because your weren't in the Rwandan genocide or a victim of the nazi holocaust doesn't mean you haven't taken an extremely heavy blow.

Take a deep breath, let yourself have a little meltdown, and see if you can't pick yourself up again in a day or two.

:yes:
  • Options
    I'm just gutted. I'm stressed. I'm tired. I'm dreading Tuesday. This may also sound stupid but I'm kinda proud of myself for allowing myself to get stupidly upset without getting angry...can't say I feel any better because I could still sit here and cry but it's not all over the interview. I know that actually it's me grieving because it isn't the interview I'm thinking about. I guess it had to come out eventually...
  • Options
    It's the 6 month anniversary today :(

Had a god awful day at work :(

When will my life resemble anything normal again? :(
  • Options
    In time. Promise
  • Options
    I hope so :( I just need a hug...I tried to talk to my friends but they weren't getting it...so I gave up...I know they dont understand and in some ways I'm thankful...but sometimes just a hug and to be able to cry without having to explain myself is what I really want to do :(:crying:
  • Options
    You can have cyber hugs from us.

It does get easier to manage with time. The gaps between the really really hard bits get longer and the normal life bits start to take over rather than being the odd highlights like they are at the moment.

One option with your friends might be to watch a weepy kind of film with them on the sofa. That way you can sob your way through it without them feeling quite so awkward about someone crying and feeling they need to try and stop you.
  • Options
    Thanks :) I didn't consider a sad film...don't know how much of a difference it would make right now...they have their own problems and it would seem 6 months later I should have moved on. :(
  • Options
    Maybe I'm wrong for feeling so crap about this but my mum is currently selling all my dads things...literally everything...all gone to carboot.

She's giving me grief about my personal choice not to be in a relationship.

I've confronted her about her judgemental attitude. She said I just didn't like criticism. That's bulls**t based on the fact I'm the first to criticise myself.

I went to the gym and after doing a 1k run, I ended up with chest pains because I'm already ill.

I'm trying to keep going but I feel so vulnerable at the moment and so stressed that my immune system would appear to have given up and I feel horrible.

I feel so low :-(
  • Options
    Hugs.

It must be hard watching her sell your dad things. Is there anything that you particularly want to keep? It might help you deal with her clear out if you've got something to hang onto.

She's also dealing with grief andi suspect you're just into firing line for her anger and frustration at the moment.

On the chest pains front, that doesn't sound much fun. If your immune system is struggling then it's the old basics that need a pick up. Exercise, fruit and veg, and sleep. Maybe the cross trainer might be better option that the treadmill fir the time being!
  • Options
    I'm not so annoyed about the selling of it...more the attitude of: "I want rid of everything". Almost like she doesn't care. I wish she had got rid of it back in Feb when she said she had...He had an old classic toy that would probably be worth about £100 now - she was going to sell it but I fought hard to keep it. He never wanted to get rid of it - even though he mentioned its value a few times. I don't want it so its worth more in the future - I want it because he loved it. I also have his running watch but nothing much else...just some pics...

I eat tons of fruit and I've been sleeping so much - the exercise thing really seems to be a no go area at the moment. Just driving or walking is a massive issue - It's like I'm not really focussing...lost track of how many times I nearly crashed my car just getting to the gym!!! And I keep getting head rush every time I get up and do something. I feel like all my energy has been drained from me! The treadmill wasn't excessive either - It was just a gentle 1k jog that I do as a warm up normally - yet today I felt worse than I do after a spinning session! Maybe my body is asking for a break!?
  • Options
    How long has this been going on?

If you're physically in that kind of state then it might be worth seeing if you can get a GP appointment just to check there's nothing else going on in the background.

Is the head rush when you stand up? Try having a wriggle of your legs and ankles before you stand up - sometimes the head rush can be a slight blood pressure issue which that helps. Doesn't mean don't also look after yourself too, but a tip worth sharing.
  • Options
    I'd echo Scary Monster's recommendation of visiting the doctor - there's absolutely nothing wrong with getting a little boost and helping hand. I'd be wary of completely stopping everything you do under the idea of 'giving your body a break' without having been to see the doctor, as some of the symptoms you're describing sound quite familiar.
  • Options
    Purple_roo wrote: »
    Some of the symptoms you're describing sound quite familiar.

What do you mean?? Is it something you've had?? I feel a little better today...hoping it's just a virus and it's wearing off. I might try my normal spinning session this evening...I don't want to give up on exercise. If it doesn't improve - I will see my GP.
  • Options
    If you run yourself too hard then you can make yourself long term sick. I would recommend NOT going to spin class tonight. Have a bath and some doughnuts instead treacle.
  • Options
    Or as a compromise - try another gentle warm up jog.

I've never done spin, but from what I know of it it's not quite the same as building exercise up after having some kind of virus :p
  • Options
    Hehe, seconding Scary's middle ground! Go for a gentle jog.

I don't mean to suggest it's something I've had, more that it sounds like a bit of a depressive mood. Stress can cause health symptoms in us as well.
  • Options
    Fine, I'll have a bath and some doughnuts.

Still spin-class is fucking brutal, and will not help you feel better at this stage.
  • Options
    Ohhh I see...Thats cool - I thought it was something you had, had! But I understand what you mean now..!

A bath and doughnuts sounds awesome; however, having just lost 8lb in 4 weeks I dont want to undo my hard work so I have arranged to meet a friend at the gym who can keep an eye on me overdoing it and also it means I won't be as focused so should be a gentle session...!

If I'm honest - I've been overly stressed and exhausted so I think that had an effect on my immune system...hopefully I'm over the worse but will make sure I am being "kind to myself" and looking after myself...
  • Options
    Sounds like a much better plan.

Good call
  • Options
    I need some advice...

As you already know, I finished counselling with the uni and then had an assessment at somewhere new...

Now...when I went to counselling the first time - I had reached a "crisis point"...I really didnt know how to cope and things were ridiculously bad. Since finishing with the counsellor at uni...I don't feel like the old me and I don't feel naturally "content"; however, I wouldn't say I'm at crisis point/rock-bottom either (I guess I'm somewhere in the middle!?) and I don't know what I want from further counselling...therefore; is it worth going?

I know to some extent, there are probably still some issues that need resovling; however, something makes me really uncomfortable about this new counsellor...really uncomfortable. I can't put my finger on it but I'm not happy with her or the set-up.

Part of me questions whether its because I want to continue with my previous one even though I know I can't...although I can if I wait until Sept...but the other part of me says, it was hard having that last session with her the first time, why go through it all over again?

Having not had counselling before, I may be mistaken but I got the impression it was important to find someone who you "click" with...and as much as I used to rant about how she had annoyed me...I think that was more of a genuine dislike to the process/how I felt about my behaviour/emotions and not how I felt about her.

Soo...do I continue with this new one, despite my gut feeling that tells me its more trouble than its worth? Do I return to the uni one in Sept? Do I find an alternative altogether? Or do I just give up with the whole thing until I work out exactly what it is I hope to gain from it?

At the moment, I am keen not to continue with it at this current point in time...but I guess some advice from the people that have "been there and done that" would really help??
  • Options
    It's understandable that you're unsure of everything, especially about your feelings. Counselling can be very intense and tiring, it's a situation where you're at your most vulnerable and somewhere where you expect to feel safe about your feelings without being criticised or told that you're wrong, and you can explore your thought processes.

You said that the person you had spoken to at University was someone you liked, but that's not unusual too, in fact I think it helps if they're personable, it can makes it easier. Maybe you're afraid that the person replacing them won't understand you? Maybe because of this person, it's unsettled you because you're used to speaking to someone you feel comfortable with?
  • Options
    My current advice would be to give it a little bit more time to settle in with this new counsellor. Some of this is likely to be you fighting to have the 'control' over who you choose to let help you. I'm not sure if i'm explaining this properly, my brain is a bit all over the place.

If after another session or two you're still finding it really unhelpful, there is nothing wrong with that and perhaps another course of action is best.
  • Options
    Don't chuck it in now - it's worth the effort in the long run.

(My computer battery is about to die, so you don't get the long version this time)
  • Options
    What about if I was to go somewhere else for counselling and keep trying?? I really can't put my finger on it, but something really doesn't feel right with this new one?
  • Options
    Ohhh i'm majorly confused...I don't know what i need :-(

I don't want to go back to this new counsellor...I
    want to go back to the uni one and even if I don't, I don't want to go back to this new one. I have serious doubts about her. I don't feel comfortable being so vulnerable around her.
  • Options
    how many sessions have you had with the new counsellor? can you pinpoint why she makes you uncomfortable? certain questions etc?
  • Options
    Just the initial assessment that was only supposed to be 50 minutes...

Appt doesn't run within allocation - it was at least an hour and 20 mins
    She makes me feel like she's quite manipulative
    She wanted to know a lot about my history which I felt was irrelevant - past relationships, school life, etc
    My first counsellor was very much - no time scales to grief -this one told me 2 years was considered normal which instantly made me question what if I'm not living with this in 2 years?
    She came across as "I'm the professional, you know nothing" whereas my first counsellor was much more on an equal footing...even told me I was one of the most self-aware students she had helped.
    I didn't like the location either - was a house converted into rooms...I felt trapped...Almost scared of the place if I'm honest, whereas uni was offices, much more relaxed, etc - the whole environment was different - I felt safe...

I don't feel safe at this new place...