Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Feeling insecure about yourself

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Im really struggling with this one lately.

Ive never thought Ive been good looking but lately things have been seeming to hit me in the face more than ever.

I first started feeling really insecure about my looks when my mates missus went on about how Im really not good looking compared to her bf ( whos my best mate ).

Whenever we go out as well he always gets all the attention from the girls too while I just have to stand there like a loser.I feel like a complete leper most of the time while the girls are all over him and Im just ignored, Im going off going out now to avoid feeling like this and having to go through it all the time.

Hes a lot louder and I guess more fun and funnier than I am too.

Now Im constantly comparing myself to him all the time, thinking that any girl I talk to or get with will completely be into him and forget about me and its really doing my head in.
I feel like shit and am pretty down on myself now all the time, I dont ever want to talk to or try and meet girls with him because Im convinced they`ll be all over him.

Im feeling completely second rate at the moment always comparing myself to him and worrying how I measure up and always being ignored and left out by the girls too is starting to depress me as Im really fed up of being single now too.

Sorry for the rant, Im just feeling really down and fed up of being the shit one.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey The Leaf :thumb:

I guess your explaining what everyone has experienced or felt at some time during their life. It can feel pretty rough, when your feeling low and insecure about things.

Your mates girlfriend sounds like the one who is probably feeling insecure and trying to deflect attention away from herself or relationship.

Comparing ourselves to our mates is a pretty natural thing to do and something again we've all done. It's when it starts to get you down that can be a problem and impact on your self esteem.

The BBC health page has a link on self-esteem and confidence that might be worthwhile checking out for some more advice and guidance.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/emotional_health/mental_health/emotion_esteem.shtml

In saying that however, it is important to remember that we've all probably lacked confidence or felt 2nd best when with friends and quieter or shier people can be an attraction to others.

Let us know what you think of the article.

Phil :thumb: