Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Internships

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So I graduated :yippe:

Now I just need to find a job :chin: I've been looking at internships to get some experience in the type of work I want to do, and was wondering if anyone has ever done one before? I have seen a couple that I really like, they are not paid (which is not a major issue) just wondering what I would do for living costs and stuff? They do pay travel expenses which is good.

None of the internships are in my area, because there's just nothing going here atm. I'm not too bothered about moving somewhere for work, I just wonder how I would pay to live somewhere while I'm working? I've been trying to look around for some info but doesnt really say how people manage to afford it, because obviously you can't claim JSA while on an internship I'm guessing? Because then I wouldn't technically be available for work within those three months or however long.

I've heard about graduate loans but not sure how they work, my bank does offer then but I don't know whether I could handle the stress of getting into even more debt!

Any info much appreciated thankies :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    hmmm7 wrote: »
    they are not paid

Pretty sure that's illegal and they should pay minimum wage.
    Well now I'm confused. Nearly all of them are unpaid, just travel and lunch expenses paid.
    Internships are usually in a grey employment area. They are rarely paid, mainly due to the competition to get them.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    Internships are usually in a grey employment area. They are rarely paid, mainly due to the competition to get them.

Unpaid internships, unless offered by a charity, are illegal. It's just that the law isn't enforced, because of as you say - the competition and taking advantage of young people's need for experience.
    Are unpaid internships illegal?

In many cases, yes. There is no legal definition of an intern, but the national minimum wage (NMW) law says that anybody who qualifies as a worker must be paid at least £5.93 an hour if aged 21 and over, rising to £6.08 from 1 October. Do you have set hours and responsibilities? Are you contributing work that's of value to your employer? Then, unless the placement is part of your course, or your employer is a charity, it's likely the company is breaking the law in letting you work for nothing. "It's hard to believe this is illegal when so many companies are doing it, but it is," says Lyons. "This is a breach of UK employment law on an unprecedented scale."

This comes from an article on how to make the most of an unpaid internship.
    This is what I mean about knowing nothing. Thanks guys, never mind will just have to keep looking for other things.

The article is interesting
    What if I don't mind working for free?

You don't have the right to waive your wages, even if you say you'll accept experience as payment. The minimum wage is designed to set a floor below which pay cannot drop.

This is a pain in the arse, because I would work for free atm, just because I have no experience and that's what is stopping me from getting "a real job" and to me the money isn't that important because I have never had much money, I can survive on very little and it doesn't bother me.

But what I still don't understand is how this is illegal, but working voluntary for some place other than a charity isn't? Is it because it's not like a full time job? Why does it have to be so confusing.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    hmmm7 wrote: »
    But what I still don't understand is how this is illegal, but working voluntary for some place other than a charity isn't? Is it because it's not like a full time job? Why does it have to be so confusing.

To be fair, I think volunteering for a profit making company is pretty questionable and probably doesn't quite fit the definition...

Anyhow, you're going to be an expert by the end of this convo as LauraO has just given me a doc that has even more info - 'Internships Explained', written by Volunteering England. Check it. :d
    **helen** wrote: »
    To be fair, I think volunteering for a profit making company is pretty questionable and probably doesn't quite fit the definition...

Anyhow, you're going to be an expert by the end of this convo as LauraO has just given me a doc that has even more info - 'Internships Explained', written by Volunteering England. Check it. :d

Ahh lovely, this clears things up nicely, thank you and thanks to Laura for the doc too!
    Just trying to keep my options open, I'm up for anything atm, just to be doing something, anything would be freaking great because I am bored silly :yeees:
    May have to look around for some volunteering a bit further out maybe, as there isn't anything going for me around here, I don't know I'll figure it out :chin: