Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Flat Deposit

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
OK, here's the deal. I moved out of my student flat about midway through June as did my other two house mates. The actual tenancy didn't end until the 30th June so we moved out about half a month early.

One of the conditions of getting my deposit back is that we have given the landlord proof that all our utility bills have been paid. In their own words-
In order for us to return your bond, we require proof that water, gas and electricity have been paid in full up to and including the 30th June please.

I've got a few problems. The first being that they require proof that the water bill has been paid. In the year that I lived in that flat I never once received a water bill nor could I find a water meter so I'm a bit stuffed do I have to pay something that I've never been billed for?

The other problem is that I paid off the electricity bill when I moved out, they state that they need it up to the 30th, so I will have been about half a month off but I figured it shouldn't matter because on one is living there? Am I still entitled to pay bills for a house that neither I or my house mates have the keys for?

The final problem is that although my house mate assures me she has paid the gas bill she still has yet to provide proof to that landlords that she has. I've done quite a lot of nagging but it's difficult because she's left the country apparently she's getting a friend to take it round or something...? So the final question is, assuming this proof does get handed in - what is the cut off date for getting your deposit back i.e how log after you've moved out can you still claim your deposit?

All year long my bills have been a ball ache full of hidden surprises and this is just the icing on the cake for that flat so it would be great to at least get my deposit back...

Comments

• Options
    clydefrog wrote: »
    I've got a few problems. The first being that they require proof that the water bill has been paid. In the year that I lived in that flat I never once received a water bill nor could I find a water meter so I'm a bit stuffed do I have to pay something that I've never been billed for?

My water charges are part of my council tax bill. So I would check any statements or whatever you've received from the local council.
  • Options
    Hey there clydefrog,

Thanks for posting your query.

It sounds like a complex issue and I'm not sure myself what the answers are. But I am sorry to hear that you're going through a difficult time in tying to get your deposit back. It can be a pain sometimes, when you need the cash but not sure where you stand legally.

I thought it might be worth calling Shelter to see if they have any advice or information. They are a charity who have a helpline for housing advice. Their number is 0808 800 4444 (8am-8pm Monday-Friday
    & 8am-5pm Saturday-Sunday).
    They also have an advice finder on their website to search for face to face advice services in your area - http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/advice_services_directory

I hope this information helps and you get the answers you need.

:)
  • Options
    My deposit situation is moving forward slowly I think. I rang my landlords the other day any they still acknowledge that I am owed the deposit but will only give it to me when the bills are sorted. They are pretty much all paid off I think, I'm just waiting for the utility companies to send me the billing proof so hopefully this might all work out.
  • Options
    Hey there clydefrog,

Glad that things are moving forward, albeit slowly.

Any news from the utility companies yet?

:)
  • Options
    Water bills are usually every 6 months anyway