Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What to expect - psychiatrist?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So I've been referred to a psychiatrist at a local psychiatric hospital... My GP suspects I may have cyclothymia, or a form of bipolar...

My letter says that there's gonna be a social worker at my meeting...

1. Why is there a social worker? I'm independent and can sort my own life...

2. What should I expect?

3. Any idea how long the wait is for support? I'm hoping more for group support, rather than counseling, or therapy. I think I'm ok... But I think my mood changes are chemical...

Comments

• Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Hi,
    I think the social worker will be there as a representative of the whole team; so not just the medication side but also to assess what kind of support you may need - that's not to say you will need the input of a social worker at all, they probably have them at all initial meetings.
    I'd expect them to ask you what you do in life - jobs, hobbies, family and also things such as your symptoms, why you're there, how they can help you and how you're affected by the way you feel.
    Normally they will then either send you out of the room so they can discuss your case and the help you need and then call you back in and tell you OR they'll write to you or ask you back for another meeting. Sometimes as a result you have to go on a waiting list for whichever service they think you need. I'd say what you've been invited to is probably more of a triage session than anything else.

Hope that helps!
  • Options
    It was pretty much as you described, yup.

I don't know if they will offer me any support, but I think I'll get a psychiatrist appointment soon... The guy said he can't diagnose me, but also, bipolar support groups may help (as it's in my family and my symptoms are similar, even without a diagnosis, I can get some tips).
  • Options
    :wave:Hi Namaste,

I just thought I would check in and see how you are feeling this evening ? As plugitin was saying in a previous post, your social worker will be there just as a part of your support network and just to look at the best way forward to help you with other professionals that are offering you support.:)

Have you met your social worker before ? It may be worth having an initial meeting with them before your case meeting if you haven't met, this may put you at ease and they may be able to chat to you and give you a bit of a brief about their role within your support network.

Please continue to post and let us know how you are doing.:thumb:.

Take Care,
    B:heart:
  • Options
    I know you already went but just thought I'd add that the help I have received from adult mental health social workers has been excellent and I've found it easier to trust them than doctors and nurses and they treat people like human beings.

I hope you get the help you need :)