Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

i dont think im doing very well

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm almost 10 weeks pregnant now and for the past three weeks have been struggling with nausea. It happens on and off all day and as someone with a big phobia of being sick I feel like I'm really struggling. I realise that lots of pregnant women have it a lot worse and can't keep anything down and end up in hospital so I guess I am lucky in a way.

I've been physically sick three times so far. Twice this morning which left me a sobbing wreck. I just hate it. This week I've been mostly in bed because I just want to sleep it all away. I know I should be fairly happy because the 'morning' sickness shows that my hormone levels are pretty good but I just find it all really debilitating.

I hate having to rely on my boyfriend to sort tea out in the evening and do the washing up. I hate asking for things. We did talk together last night and I said I could tell he was resenting me. He said he wasn't resenting me and understood I couldnt help it but still was getting used to pretty much having to do everything in the house. We had a bit of quiet time after that and went to bed and he apologised. So we are talking which is all we can do really. I just feel stressed and can't handle thinking and getting paranoid that he thinks I'm being lazy or taking the pee. Like I get some sort of perverse enjoyment from him getting me glasses of squash from the kitchen I can't bear the smell of.

Most of this is just a big rant and I realise that there isn't a big cure. Wish I was one of those pregnant women who seem to just get on with it but everything feels like a hurdle.

Comments

• Options
    From what I've seen the morning sickness can be a bit of hit and miss. You may get it for 6 months and only in the evenings and then have nothing next time round. You may not get it at all.

But by and large these things calm down, so you should be settled. Suggest having some cold toast before you even get out of bed if you're having it in the mornings.
  • Options
    Yeah I will try cold toast. This morning I had a yoghurt and then a while after it happened.

Last time it happened I had some normal toast. It's a tricky balance between keeping my stomach so that it isn't completely empty and it isn't completely full. I know this is tmi but I feel quite fortunate that when it has happened I hadn't eaten much so it wasn't that really horrible type of sick. That makes me scared
  • Options
    Toast is pretty inoffensive stuff. Bit of marmite or jam but no butter keeps down the possible assault to your sensitive tummy. Worked for my sisters.
  • Options
    Toast is supposed to be good, similarly ginger biscuits. There are lots of people who swear by ginger as an anti sickness remedy.

Realistically - does doing things actually make you any more or less nauseous? Or is it the kind of thing where if you actually just got on with it you'd feel the same (and put your relationship under less pressure). I've never been pregnant, but had naseau from various causes over the years, in some cases nothing I did or didn't do made any difference (except in my head ginger biscuits). At another time if I went for a lie down it improved - but that was an inner ear problem so there was a phsyical effect going on there causing it that was reduced by being still.

You might find that actually if you can try and carry on that the distraction helps slightly.

By now I've picked up that you have a completely irrational phobia of being sick, so there isn't a massive amount that can be done about that but you might be able to help yourself at least slightly in getting on with every day life. Making sure you've got things with so that if you are sick it isn't the end of the world can really help. Some kind of sick bag, some wipes, tooth brush & tooth paste and then another bag to get rid of it all in. That way at least that worry is off your mind.
  • Options
    I bought ginger biscuits at the begining but really don't fancy them now. I have the slightly salted crackers which seem more appealing to me.

I dont know if doing things helps because I feel as if it's just got worse this week and I'm not in work until tomorrow. I hate the idea of being sick at work or even worse in public because I work in a supermarket. I'm also on my 12 week trial so can't afford to take any sick days.

The idea of preparing to be sick makes me feel really uncomfortable but I can see that it makes sense. I do have things next to me on my till that seemed to alleviate my nausea like fruit pastilles, crackers and squash in a bottle.
  • Options
    The being prepared thing is a bit like insurance/umbrellas. If you've got it, you can guarentee you won't need it.
  • Options
    ha :) fingers crossed
  • Options
    Even though you don't have severe sickness, it is affecting you severely because of your phobia, so I'd suggest talking to your midwife or GP. There are safe anti-sickness drugs they can prescribe you if you need them. Taking vitamin b6 can also help, but again, i'd speak to your midwife first.

I know exactly how you feel about the whole deal, I was really lucky and didn't get any nausea at all with my first, and so far have only had it really mildly (just went off some foods) with this one (touch wood), but I felt really nauseous through the first 12 hours or so of my labour, and that really freaked me out - more so that the pain! It's especially hard to try and be rational when you're off your tits on hormones, but if you tell your care providers how you feel, they can help you.

Oh, and those pregnant women who just seem to get on with it? Generally it's cause they have really easy pregnancies!
  • Options
    Yeah I know I need to speak to my midwife. Just working myself up to do it because it is tied with so many pressures right now including my job.

The supermarket I work at havent been sympathetic at all even to the point of pressurising me to stay at work and not go to a and e when i had a miscarriage scare. I just want to tell them to stick their job.

I am probably calling in sick today with 'morning' sickness which I am dreading. I dont feel like I am worthy to be carrying a baby
  • Options
    Its the supermarket being unworthy. You're going to be just fine. It's important not to kill yourself worrying though I know it's easier said than done.
  • Options
    Thanks Fiend :)

I went to my GP today and got some anti sickness meds which actually seem to be working. I feel so much better. All of this week I've been a clammy, anxious, sicky mess so the change is very welcome right now.

I spoke to someone different at the supermarket today because I rang in sick. He's one of the supervisors I think on checkouts but was just really kind and said he understood my circumstances and to ring back during the week to let them know how I am. Find it odd how the kindest people that work there have all been male so far. Would have thought that women would be more understanding but nay.

Anyway feeling better today and I'm seeing my mum in a bit :)
  • Options
    You're pregnant - that's a female problem. That scares men - so they're far more likely to be nice.

It's like you'll always get a far more gentle ride from blokes if you've got killer period pains than you will from most women.

(And why my colleagues always send me to get painkillers from the medic - because he'll hand them over to me no questions asked)
  • Options
    I won't presume to speak for men, but anything to do with periods terrifies me, whereas pregnancy brings out the protective side...
  • Options
    lots of women swear by those travel sickness wristbands for helping with the nausea too. with any luck the sickness and nausea will ease off in the second tri, not long now x
  • Options
    thanks guys :)

have those travel wrist bands actually. not sure if they actually work but im not taking them off! also the anti sickness meds have kicked in so i havent felt so incapable this weekend. just knackered but i can handle that :)

agree not long now! 10 weeks this monday :)
  • Options
    The supermarket I work at havent been sympathetic at all even to the point of pressurising me to stay at work and not go to a and e when i had a miscarriage scare. I just want to tell them to stick their job.

Unfortunately, lack of sympathy at work is a very common thing. My employers have a long history of being total shits with their pregnant employees. This time round my line manager gave me his condolences when I told him I was pregnant again. I had to say, 'Yes, actually we are pleased about it.' Last time they tried to give my job away in secret before I had even left, and when I found out, they refused to let me apply for my own job because I was pregnant (quickly changed to 'you don't have the experience' after a word from HR - obv in spite of actually doing the job for 4 years).

Anyhoo, know that the law offers you some degree of protection. I found it helps to know inside out what you are entitled to, and to quote it at them if/when they try to shaft you. Especially if they have a HR department - they tend to get a bit itchy if they know you know your rights.
  • Options
    Can we have a thesite based competition to name your off-spring?
  • Options
    Sorry for my late reply Kaff. It's my first day back on Saturday and theyve changed my hours to accomodate my morning blughness. My 12 week end of probation review is in August so will definitely be contesting if they decide not to keep me on.

Fiend- I had another early scan today. It's all going very well. 10 weeks and 4 days! Yes name suggestions are very welcome.. particularly boys names as I think we are settled on a girl's name already. Plus we arent finding out the sex until the *event*. :thumb:
  • Options
    My sister didn't find out the sex, I thought that was cool. Plus it meant no excessive PINK or BLUE presents before Josh was born.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    My sister didn't find out the sex, I thought that was cool. Plus it meant no excessive PINK or BLUE presents before Josh was born.

yeah I'm warming to the idea :) My midwife said that at least you get a surprise at the end of labour
  • Options
    Congratulations!

Boy name - Michael! Bestest boy name eva (except for whatever you pick if it is a boy and you don't choose Michael, of course :D )
  • Options
    Malakai, Theo and Max are all good names.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    katralla wrote: »
    Congratulations!

Boy name - Michael! Bestest boy name eva (except for whatever you pick if it is a boy and you don't choose Michael, of course :D )

:yes: I like it too - me and my sister were both called Michael until we came out girls. :d
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Congratulations!

I agree, my lil bro is called Michael and he's just mint.

(Oh btw congrats on baby clementine, bit slow but better late than never :p )
  • Options
    Loving the consensus on the Michael name love.
  • Options
    Thanks guys :heart:

Michael is really cute but will eventually end up being shortened to Mike which.. meh.

I suggested Max but it got a no because his brother's dog is called Max :grump: We went through a stage of liking the name Winston but everyone else hates it. Maybe we should just keep it to ourselves... ha
  • Options
    I like winston.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    I like winston.

It really is a cute name, just the people that do references to Castaway seem intent on ruining it. Boo!
  • Options
    You'd call a Bulldog Winston. That said, the most famous one is a person hero
  • Options
    Douglas? Herbert? Hugh? Martin? Oliver? Rodney? Adrian?