Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Food issues within a (possible) relationship

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm currently seeing a guy who has quite a few problems with food. He has had a lot of traumatic experiences with food as a child and since and finds it very difficult eating certain types of food and having other people cook for him. For me, food is a very important part of life. When I can, I really enjoy cooking food for other people and sharing a meal. Because I have allergies and because of his issues with food it is very difficult to find foods we can enjoy together. He sees this as a huge problem (because I don't like eating separate meals at dinner time - although I'm not totally adverse to it) which he think might lead to the relationship not working out. He is dealing with issues and I'm trying to be as accepting as I can, but I personally don't see it as a huge issue.

Any advice?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Guess there are just two options. Either he tries to improve these issues, by jumping over his shadow, or getting some medical attention of sorts, or you accept his condition and just eat separately every time. Which of these two it should be is best discussed with him.
    I think you're right that it doesn't need to be a big deal. It sounds like you accept him for who he is, so it's really up to him whether he wants to make a big deal out of it.

I enjoy food and cooking too, but my boyfriend is an extremely picky eater (eats mostly processed foods which I avoid). I don't know where he gets this from as his mum and family eat 'normally'. He knows his eating habits aren't particularly healthy, but he's not actively doing anything to broaden his taste buds, so I leave him to it. We rarely eat meals together, partly because of his pickyness and also because he finishes work late on a night. I leave him to sort himself out and I largely cook for myself and friends, so don't miss out on eating nice healthy food.
    Tbh I think combined we both have too many issues for this relationship to be anything but doomed. It's just a shame we're both falling for each other
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    Tbh I think combined we both have too many issues for this relationship to be anything but doomed. It's just a shame we're both falling for each other

This is the mindset that is the surefire doom of a relationship, since now you are not overlooking and solving issues, but are seeking them and construe them as impossible to overcome to validate your image of the situation.
    I got ripped a new one this afternoon by him so that's that...