Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

it's about periods so it's a question more for the girls

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok this might be a strange question but i'd heard there is a pill you can take to stop you're period for one month and i was just wondering if it's true. if anyone could tell me it would be a great help.....(i hope i don't look like too much of a mug if it's not true) xx

Comments

• Options
    before people start laughing at my almost non existent knowledge in these matters, just remember that im a boy who hardly ever speaks to girls.
    what i DO know is that yes, there is a contraceptive pill that stops your period for a while...something about it stops for a while and when it comes back its heavier (i assume this is because its like 2 periods saved up:confused: ) i dont know what the name is or the ins and outs of it, but maybe if you try doing a search (button at the top right of the screen) you could find a bit of info on it.
    well ill leave this at that...im sure someone would be more than happy to fill you in on this one and of course correct any mistakes ive made:)

Braidsta
  • Options
    thank you braidsta that has really helped. i'm goin to the doc's tomorrow and i wanted to see if it was true before i asked about it....i didn't want to look like a complete mug by askin him and this pill doesn't exhist. THANK YOU.....:cool: xx
  • Options
    There is a pill called Northeisterone (sp?) which is not a contraceptive but contains a progesterogen (sp?) which maintains the uterus lining. I took them when I went on holiday, I had to take it 3 times a day and 3 days before my period was due. I didn't have any side effects but other members have had some. Check the packet leaflet if you get it.
  • Options
    go_away suggested Northisterone to me when I said I wanted to delay my period as I'm going on holiday. I went to the doctors the other day and got some which I started taking today - you take it 3 times a day, beginning 3 days before your period and finishing when you want to come on.
    In the packet leaflet it only mentions one side effect which is that you might feel a bit sick. I had a series of headaches today, but I don't know if that is related in any way!
    The doctor didn't mention any side effects or anything.
  • Options
    Ive been on those tablets aswell. you take them 3 days before your due period date, and you come back on your period about 2-3 days after you stop taking the tablets. The only side effect i had, was my stomach bloating a lot. But thats just due to the water and blood that isnt being released.
    So if you are going to buy any trousers when you are bloated, buy the size you normally wear, instead of the size that best fits your bloated body :o) when i was on the tablets, i brought a pair of crops that were a size 12, but once my stomach had de-flaited, i realized i would have only needed my normal size 10. :o)

*~fairy_princess~*
  • Options
    Just don't have your usual week break between packets - keep on taking it straight through. You won't have a period till the end of the second packet, but its bollox about it being heavier. Your body doesn't 'save up' the blood. I take 3 packets together.
  • Options
    This is a question about Northisterone...
    Seeing as it delays your period, say you delay it by a week, when you come on the next month, will the period be due 28 days from the delayed period of from your original date when it would have occurred?
    sorry for the stupid question!
    -x
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pink Soda
    This is a question about Northisterone...
    Seeing as it delays your period, say you delay it by a week, when you come on the next month, will the period be due 28 days from the delayed period of from your original date when it would have occurred?
    sorry for the stupid question!
    -x
    God I wish my periods were regular enough for one week to make any difference to anything!! Your period should start about 3 or 4 days after you stop taking the Norethisterone.
  • Options
    Originally posted by fairy_princess
    Ive been on those tablets aswell. you take them 3 days before your due period date, and you come back on your period about 2-3 days after you stop taking the tablets.

My period is pretty unpredictable and doesn't really come at the same time each month, there isn't evena uniform number of days between them, does this mean I couldn't use these tablets?
  • Options
    QUOTE]My period is pretty unpredictable and doesn't really come at the same time each month, there isn't evena uniform number of days between them, does this mean I couldn't use these tablets?[/QUOTE]
    I told my doctor that i was pretty irregular but he put me on the tablets (Norethisterone) anyway. He did say they might not work but i should give them a try. If you do decide you want to use them then just go and see you're doctor and he will disscuss using the tablets with you. :)
  • Options
    Emj - did they work?
  • Options
    mine are pretty unpredictable too, same as my sis. plus im very forgetful, so if your a busy bee or you don't like takin pills there's alway the injection. it works like the pill. just one injuection should last for 6 weeks and thats it! i like using this one. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I've just come back from holiday when I took the tablets and they worked absolutely fine.
    I didn't have any side effects such as cramps or pains and I didn't notice any abnormal bloating, it was the same as you get before your period but didn't make any difference to me. I came off the pills yesterday so I havenn't had my period yet.

I asked a question about when my period would come on, but I don't think I made it clear what I meant...
    ok say the period I have just delayed comes on at the beginning of August, will my next period be 28 days from that one (ie. around the end of August) or will it be 28 days from the original date that I delayed (ie. just before the end of July?). In other words by using the pill have I delayed my whole cycle or just that months part of it? :confused:
  • Options
    I don't know if anyone will read this but i thought i'd just say i got back off my holiday 2 days ago and those tablets were great. I had no cramps or abnormal bloating either. They worked wonders and really helped me enjoy my holiday because i didn't have to worry about gettin my period halfway through the week. I recomend them to anyone who could do with missing thier period for a month. :)
  • Options
    *decides this must be good news* lol
    yay
    (yay!!??:confused: )

glad it helped:)
  • Options

but is there long term fertility risks? depo provera gets rid of it too for 3 months at a time but there are some risks
  • Options
    Re: ....
    Originally posted by lil_miss_posh
    but is there long term fertility risks? depo provera gets rid of it too for 3 months at a time but there are some risks

With Northesterone? I don't think so, my doctor didn't tell me, and neither did the leaflet that came with it. It only affects the uterus lining by maintaining it, it has nothing to do with the ovaries. It's not a method of contraception like depo provera
  • Options
    A question

Can you tell me why do you want to stop your periods? I know they are a pain sometimes but they should not stop your ordinary activities. A friend of mine has a diaphragn so she can have sex any day of the month without her b/f being aware of the "time of the month"!
    :confused:
  • Options
    Re: A question
    Originally posted by Katie86
    Can you tell me why do you want to stop your periods? I know they are a pain sometimes but they should not stop your ordinary activities.

I don't want my period when I go on holiday
  • Options
    The Keeper

I agree! nobody wants a period on holiday.
    For a while now I have been using the Keeper. Its a rubber cup which fits neatly inside. Its comfortable, theres no spares to carry, it lasts a lot longer and it is totally waterproof, perfect for water sports. It also works out a lot cheaper as there is nothing else to buy! There is lots of info about it at
    http://www.menses.co.uk
  • Options
    I used Northisterone during my GCSEs because my periods were really really heavy (still are actually) and I always used to throw up on the first day (which I don't do so much any more) and the pills worked fine. One problem was, though, that after I stopped taking it my periods were even less predictable than usual. I had one that lasted about three weeks and was really light, then I had another one about 2 weeks later which was light for a while, then got really heavy inexplicably. It took about 6 months to settle down again. I think it was probably worth it as it wouldn't be worth failing an exam for, and the reason I didn't use it again during my ASs or A2s ws because my periods got a bit lighter.

Still sucks though. I'm thinking of going on the pill, but I don't know if it would be risky when I go to Kenya (apparently it can affect how your malaria tablets work.)
  • Options
    Originally posted by cornflake girl
    One problem was, though, that after I stopped taking it my periods were even less predictable than usual.

I took Northisterone to delay my period at the end of July and it worked fine, and my period came on when I got back from holiday. However this month's period is about 5 days late so far and still hasn't come on which is strange and a bit worrying for me as I am usually very regular. Has anyone else experienced this after using Northisterone?
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee

My period is pretty unpredictable and doesn't really come at the same time each month, there isn't evena uniform number of days between them, does this mean I couldn't use these tablets?

yeah you still can uses them but you cant garantee they will work. I got my period the day i went to the doctors to get them but still decided to try them. They didnt fully stop my period but it was barely noticable