Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Open Days

Starry nightStarry night Posts: 674 Incredible Poster
edited March 27 in Work & Study
When I signed up for my Open Days I naturally assumed I would do it by myself. I wouldn't want my parents to go, it would cost them more money also (nearly all of my options are far away from home) and my friends are going to different uni's and have n't considered open days yet( i am in year 12 but have been advised to start early). Do you think it's a bit strange? When I went to one recently, I got a few weird looks. Would you go to an open day by yourself? Who did you go with for your open days?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I went to mine alone.
  • Options
    You got weird looks for going alone? Are you sure?

Plenty of people go alone - I think I went by myself to one, and with my sister/parents for a couple more. It's really not a big deal.....
  • Options
    Starry nightStarry night Posts: 674 Incredible Poster
    When I went to the last one, nearly everyone I saw was with their parents. When I arrived, the guy handing out leaflets on reception looked at me, gave me a seriously weird look, and ignored me. I said to the girl next to him "I'm here for the open day" and she gave me a booklet. I didn't do anything wrong or clumsy, wasn't wearing anything particularly different-I couldn't think what it was, other than I was by myself and that was seen as weird or something.
  • Options
    that's just someone being a retard. Going alone isn't a rare thing, it's probably better for you to go alone in some ways.
  • Options
    maybe they just thought you were with the people in front of you or something?

i went to some with one of my parents and others with my boyfriend at the time. i would never have gone with both of my parents, it would have been far too much like a family day out for my liking! it's good to have another person's opinion but in the end it's you that has to make the choices so as long as you go it doesn't really matter who is with you. also you don't want the views of other people influencing your decision, because if it ends up being the wrong one you will hate them for it.

also, it's a brilliant idea to be going to open days while you are in year 12, you don't want to be worrying about them next year when you have so much work to do. next year you need to be completely focused on your course so having open days out of the way will really help you.
  • Options
    Hey Starry night, I just came across this in the Guardian's new student section about making the most of Open Days - might be worth a read?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/may/22/applying-university-student-open-days

As omg_hi and others have said, nothing wrong with going on your own at all and it's great to be planning ahead :)
  • Options
    I went on my own to all of them, I actually thought it was odd that people took parents! I met people there that I would not have done if I'd had people with me (some of whom I still talk to, even though we ended up in different places). With hindsight, I don't think I made the wrong decision or had any problems because of going on my own :-)