Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Waking up in the night

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello, was hoping someone might have experience of this and point me in the right direction.

I'm having a problem, and have been for months on and off, where I will wake up many times during the night. But I'm at an 'on' period now, and its happening fairly consistently. I normally remember the dreams I'm having, but I'm not sure if I'm having bad dreams so waking up, or because I'm waking up from a dreaming state I'm remembering the dreams. Generally they're not the nicest dreams, but I'm not getting upset about them beyond that.

I just can't figure it out. Ok, in the day at work I will have sometimes 3 cups of coffee, but I'm stimulant free from 4pm and go to bed anywhere between 10 and 11 usually - so I wouldn't get why this would keep me up. Last June I think it was I was given a short course of Temazepam due to some severe troubles sleeping which was almost certainly to do with stress at the time. At the time the doctor recommended that I don't drink alcohol to 'self medicate' to get to sleep, as though it may feel like it works, the quality of sleep you have is much worse.

There must be some button in my brain that is switching me back to an 'alert' state multiple times during the night that I need help switching off. Years ago, I would have described myself as a heavy sleeper.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi Shyboy,:wave:

Im sorry to hear that you are having difficulty with sleeping at the moment, this must be very frustrating for you :(.

Is there anything that could be playing on your mind at the moment that could be preventing you from switching off before your going to bed at night ?

Have you tried any relaxation techniques before going to bed, maybe listening to some soothing music, having a hot bath, drinking some camomile tea or reading ? This could help you wind down from the day and try to divert any thoughts or anxieties you are having and putting them at bay until the next morning and promote a better nights sleep.

Do you do any regular exercise ?, this is also a very good way to alleviate disruptive sleep or insomnia, even if it is just a short walk, a swim a couple of times a week or something like yoga or pilates ?.

Have you checked out the information on the site related to Sleeping , there is some really useful information that may be of interest to you.

I hope things get better for you soon and please always feel that we are here at the Site to listen and advise.

Keep posting and let us know how you are getting on.:thumb:.

Take Care,
    B*hug*.
    The best known of the sleep disorders, insomnia comes in three guises: difficulty falling asleep, difficulty staying asleep, and waking up too early. For causes of insomnia see here [insert link to insomnia article].

:p

On your queries:
    1. Is there anything playing on my mind?
    Yes, financial difficulties and also I'm very lonely right now, don't have any local friends.

2. Relaxation technique
    I should probably do these more. I don't feel stressed before I go sleep and normally can get to sleep fairly easily. But maybe I should wind down properly.

3. Regular excercise
    Yes I run and do strength training regularly

Thanks for the tips.
    If you wake up and then can go back to sleep, it's perfectly normal... more normal than sleeping for 8 hours none stop in fact. Also, it's probably better for you! I wake up during the night, stay awake for a few hours, then can go back to sleep. Have a read of this, it made me realise it doesn't have to be a problem :)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16964783

If you can't go back to sleep however, then you probably have insomnia and a trip to the doctors might help. Also, remembering your dreams may be due to Lucid Dreaming (another thing I get) and with practice it is controllable, and you can control your dreams (although, I haven't mastered this yet!) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_dream
    Yea I have a lot of difficulty getting back to sleep after I wake up. I often feel stressed, agitated, angry, panicky etc when I wake up which gets my heart going, and all the adrenaline makes it hard for me to switch off again.
    Hi Shyboy,:wave:

How have things been for you the last couple of nights ? Have your sleeping patterns improved at all ? Please keep on posting and let us know how things are going for you and remember we are always here for you at the Site.

Take Care,
    B:thumb:
    Have you tried quiet life herbal tablets before? They really helped the last time I had a really bad bought of nightmares. I've still got some if you want to try them.
    I haven't but I've tried Kalmes.

I'm not sure if they helped or not.

I can't remember waking up the past few nights, but I'm extremely tired in the mornings regardless.
    So since this thread, a little timeline:

- used sleep mask for a while, it did help to a degree

- been to GP, did some bloods, all fine. advised to do independent research

- was in thesite expert chat, but i didnt get a great deal from that as it was mostly 'common sense' stuff (though she did say i should call the helpline, which I havent)

- recently posted about 'drying out' which may be related to hayfever. taking anti histamines before bed does seem to help, but i also wake up groggier and later

- sleep hygiene is amazing right now. no computers or anything in the bedroom, just a nice cool lovely comfy delicious bed.

- have a new routine of getting out of bed when i wake up, even if i wake up at 6am. i do this mainly as i prefer being tired througout the day than the 2-3 hours of grogginess i get if i stay in bed for 2 hours trying to have a lie in.

- apparently according to my better half, I do exhibit parasomnias...

So where do we go from here? :)
    sungirl wrote: »
    Useful sharing.Interesting.

I suppose the tl;dr is this is still ongoing and nothing I've done so far has cured it.