Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How many recipes have you mastered?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:wave:

We just got wind of this new campaign called 5by25: http://www.5by25.com/

The premise is to encourage people by the age of 25 to have mastered at least 5 dishes that they can cook from scratch. The website has a bunch of recipes as well as info on key skills like food storage, making gravy and chopping.

I have to admit that I'm not much of a cook although when I have the time I love the challenge of following a new recipe and trying to make something tasty :yum:

I reckon by 25 the dishes I had down were spag bol, chilli con carne, pasta bake, fishfinger sarnies ;) and variations on a stir fry of some kind..

What about you?

Comments

• Options
    Im only 22 but thanks to living away at uni I have mastered quite a few meals from scratch: spag bol, chilli, pasta sauce, omelettes, lasagne, roast chicken, fry up, stir fry, soup, shepherds pie - the one i really want to master is stew! I can also do all kinds of cakes and desserts as well :D (show off!)
  • Options
    Hmmm. I don't know if my cooking qualifies as "from scratch" :chin:
  • Options
    I can do most things from a recipe, unless my patience fails me.

I know a few things by heart (as well as the basic omelettes, scrambled eggs, tomato sauce pancakes, etc.):
    Bean chilli
    Spag bol / lasagne (veggie or meat)
    Chicken and bacon stew
    Mushroom stroganoff
    Aubergine parmiggiano
    Pizza
    Sponge cake
    Peppermint creams
  • Options
    25?

Risotto, Bolognese, Carbonara, Roast dinner (duck, beef, pork, lamb, chicken w/ trimmings), Shepherds Pie, Toad in the Hole, Fajitas, Mashed Potatoes (which are a delicacy in my house), Lasagne, Pancakes.

Some other stuff as well, but that wouldn't be properly properly from scratch, like pizza, or curry.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    At 25 I would cook a lot from scratch. I would do roast dinners, risotto, spag bol, chilli, fajitas, shepherds pie, cottage pie, beef burgers from mince, macaroni cheese, curry, soup ... I could also do things like pizza from scratch but chose not to as it was too faffy. All these would be without recipes. Now, I cook less. I have much less time to do it so rely on mr grossman, mr schwarz etc.
  • Options
    I cook most things from scratch (well assuming I can count using cartons of passata as from scratch) apart from bread, soup & cereal where my reliance shifts to Mr supermarket, New Covent Garden & Mr Kellog respectively. That said, I can make soup, but I like variety and am very limited on freezer space.

I do have to confess though, that two of my favourite quick meals at the moment are minute steak, toasted ciabatta & salad and smoked salmon and scrambled egg on toast. Both being really quick, really easy, feel really decadent and are actually no where near as expensive as they sound, both coming out comfortably under £2 a meal.
  • Options
    i can do a few things without looking at recipes but they are all easy. spaghetti carbonara, macaroni cheese, boleganise, shepherds and cottage pie, stews in the slow cooker, fry up, jacket potato.., sweet potato chips, burgers yadayada