Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

TheSite.org Book Club: Nominations for May's book.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Reminder of the rules:

1. Anybody can nominate a book.
2. Books nominated have to be fiction (or biographical), but there are no other restrictions. You can go for whatever genre you like, whatever time period, whichever author.
3. Try not to pick anything too hefty. While some of us could probably get through War and Peace in a month, others aren't so fast.
4. Nominations in the below example format, please:

Book: Snuff by Terry Pratchett|Kindle Edition

Synopsis: It is a truth universally acknowledged that a policeman taking a holiday would barely have had time to open his suitcase before he finds his first corpse.

And Commander Sam Vimes of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch is on holiday in the pleasant and innocent countryside, but not for him a mere body in the wardrobe. There are many, many bodies and an ancient crime more terrible than murder.

He is out of his jurisdiction, out of his depth, out of bacon sandwiches, occasionally snookered and out of his mind, but never out of guile. Where there is a crime there must be a finding, there must be a chase and there must be a punishment.

They say that in the end all sins are forgiven.

But not quite all...
From Amazon

Reason for Nomination: Any reason you like can go here. The above is an example, and was our book for March, so no nominating!

5. As I did above, if there is a Kindle/e-reader edition, put a separate link to that, please (On Amazon, there is a "Start reading [book] on your Kindle..." link under the image).

Commence nominations! Poll will be put up in one week with all nominations. And just a reminder: Book Club chat will now be running monthly on the second Wednesday of every month at 7pm :).

Franki
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Wooooooooooo, I'll try and come up with a nomination :D
  • Options
    A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Game-Thrones-Song-Fire-Book/dp/000647988X

Synopsis
    The first volume of George R R Martin’s glorious high fantasy tells the tragic story of treachery, greed and war that threatens the unity of the Seven Kingdoms south of the Wall. Martin unfolds with astonishing skill a tale of truly epic dimensions, thronged with memorable characters, a story of treachery and ambition, love and magic. Set in a fabulous world scarred by battle and catastrophe over 8000 years of recorded history, it tells of the deeds of men and women locked in the deadliest of conflicts and the terrible legacy they will leave their children. In the game of thrones, you win or you die.

And in the bitter-cold, unliving lands beyond the Wall, a terrible winter gathers and the others — the undead, the neverborn, wildlings to whom the threat of the sword is nothing — make ready to descend on the realms of men.

Why I want to read it:
    I have been watching the TV series and am really enjoying it. The books are supposed to be twice as good. I'm also a big fan of fantasy setting stories so definitely something I want to read.
  • Options
    Boudica: Dreaming the Eagle By Manda Scott
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B003R0KYXI/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_summary?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending
    ________

In AD 60, Boudica, war leader of the Eceni, led her people in a final bloody revolt against the occupying armies of Rome. It was the culmination of nearly twenty years of resistance against an occupying force that sought to crush a vibrant, complex civilization and replace it with the laws, taxes and slavery of the Roman Empire. Gloriously imagined, Boudica: Dreaming the Eagle recreates the beginnings of a story so powerful its impact has survived through the ages, recounting the journey to adulthood of Breaca, who at twelve kills her first warrior, and her sensitive, skilful half-brother Bán, who carries with him a vision of the future that haunts his waking hours. In the company of a supreme storyteller, the reader is plunged into the unforgettable world of tribal Britain in the years before the Romans came: a twilight world of Dreamers and the magic of the gods; a world where horses and dogs and the landscape itself become characters in their own right; where warriors fight for honour as much as victory. Above all, it is a world of passion and courage and spectacular, heart-felt heroism pitched against overwhelming odds. Manda Scott's Boudica will tell the extraordinary, resounding story of Britain's first and greatest warrior queen, the woman who remains one of the great female icons - to read it is to discover our history, to learn about ourselves and our heritage.

This series was a bit of a coming of age read for me. It follows Breaca (and her family) and her rights of passage to the great women she became - and the many trials and tribulations along the way. Its been incredibly well researched and the story is told in such a way it so easy to see yourself there in that moment of history, and become quite emotionally attached to the characters. It tackles so many "difficult" subjects - slavery, tribal difference, status, spirituality, war, homosexuality etc. Yet its such an escapist novel! I can't really do this book justice, its just an amazing book definatly in my top 3 books ever!
  • Options
    Book: Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquival|Kindle Edition|Original Spanish Edition

Synopsis: The number one bestseller in Mexico and America for almost two years, and subsequently a bestseller around the world, Like Water For Chocolate is a romantic, poignant tale, touched with moments of magic, graphic earthiness, bittersweet wit - and recipes.A sumptuous feast of a novel, it relates the bizarre history of the all-female De La Garza family. Tita, the youngest daughter of the house, has been forbidden to marry, condemned by Mexican tradition to look after her mother until she dies. But Tita falls in love with Pedro, and he is seduced by the magical food she cooks. In desperation Pedro marries her sister Rosaura so that he can stay close to her. For the next twenty-two years Tita and Pedro are forced to circle each other in unconsummated passion. Only a freakish chain of tragedies, bad luck and fate finally reunite them against all the odds.
    From Amazon

Reason for Nomination: I saw the movie when I was in sixth form and I loved it. I didn't realise it was a book until I was told otherwise yesterday and now I really want to read it. I wish I could read it in Spanish, but alas I have forgotten most of what I learned :(
  • Options
    Book: The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender|Kindle Edition

Synopsis: The concept behind Bender's novel is truly unique: a little girl who can taste the feelings of those involved in the food-making process. I was surprised, therefore, when the book seemed more focused on the disintegration of her parents' marriage and the difficulties faced by her genius brother rather than the problems surrounding the main character. Told from a small child's eyes, the feelings evoked were poignant and real, and I was drawn into the beautiful destruction.

Bender's pacing in this book is fantastic. The push and pull are tangible, and it turns reading into what it should be: an all-absorbing affair. With that being said, there were a few brief moments where she suddenly jumps into the past, and it takes a moment or two for me to realize what had just happened. All of these scenes are relevant, of course, but the shift is still abrupt, even for the start of a new chapter. The lead-up to the explanation behind Joe's disappearances was well-played, and the ultimate revelation is reasonable, but it lacks the impact that it could have had due to the suddenness of its delivery.

I find myself torn in how I feel about the writing style. On the one hand, it is simplistic, and it matched very well with the mentality of a youngster. Even so, the "he said/she said" method was overly grating in some sequences, where a greater variety of verb would have been greatly valued. The story ends when Rose is in her twenties, and while there is much to be said for consistency in an author's writing, the change dispatched my assumptions regarding her word choices. The lack of quotation marks was also disorienting, as I couldn't tell sometimes whether I was reading first person narrative or dialogue.

In short, this book was a worthwhile read with a few flaws. Even now, I feel emotionally wrung out, which says a great deal for the impact that the author made with her tale. If one can work one's way past the stylistic ticks and unclear designations for speech, one will find an enjoyable story to while away a few hours.
    From Amazon Review

Reason for Nomination: It was on my recommended list on Amazon and it reminded me of Como Agua Para Chocolate (Like Water for Chocolate - my first nomination), which is part of the reason I have nominated that one. But obviously this one would be a little different and the reviews are pretty evenly spread - a dozen or so for each star rating. That's pretty rare, so that intrigued me somewhat!
  • Options
    Reason for Nomination: I saw the movie when I was in sixth form and I loved it. I didn't realise it was a book until I was told otherwise yesterday and now I really want to read it. I wish I could read it in Spanish, but alas I have forgotten most of what I learned :(

I did this book for IB English ;)
  • Options
    I did this book for IB English ;)

For real?! I hate you a little bit.
  • Options
    Game of Thrones is a really good idea, but (seriously) I think people might need two months....
  • Options
    Just a reminder - nominations close on Wednesday evening :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
  • Options
    The chinese english dictionary for lovers by Xialou Guo, (or something to that effect) such a lovely looking book
  • Options
    If nobody wants to nominate any more, I'll put the poll up tonight :)
  • Options
    The Butlerian Jihad for those who like Sci-fi. It is the prequel to Dune. Set in the far future, the known galaxy is in the middle of a civil war. Humanity on one side, "thinking machines" on the other.