Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What's the point....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
...of anything when the one thing you want will never happen? I would do anything to have my dad back...even if that meant it was me that my family didn't have instead...

I just want it to end...I want it to stop hurting and I want the time back...I know I'm never going to have that and I have to learn to live with it but I don't know how and I just think what's the point of carrying on?

Comments

• Options
    It's bad. It really is, I remember those feelings. Others on here will remember them too. Maybe instead of telling you to hold on it would be encouraging for you to know where I am now?

My mum died when I was 11, and I struggled for years, sometimes even to understand what it meant that she was never coming back. I self-harmed and have suffered with depression. My siblings were all older and had moved out, it was just me and my grieving father in a house that had been filled just months before. My grades suffered, I was alternately painfully isolationist, and meaninglessly rebellious. I learned to project a semblance of stability, of being "normal". But I had physical symptoms of the stress I was under.

Now, I'm 26, I have a BEng in mechanical engineering and an MSc in engineering design. I'm working with the IMechE on my professional development so that I can become a chartered engineer. I work for a medical implant company designing bone replacements for patients with cancer. I have a large and loving family from my brothers and sisters and their children. I live with my partner, we have two dogs, I love my little home family and I'm happy. We've got long term plans to move to the coast when I've got more experience with my career, and maybe when I retire we'll go to New Zealand or Canada. I have little things that make me happy, she irons my shirts because I suck at it, and I'm learning to ride a motorbike.

The world is filled with ways to move forward, keep going.
  • Options
    It's encouraging to hear that eventually I will get through this.
    I'm just tired (mentally, emotionally and physically) of trying to get through each day telling everyone I'm fine and trying to carry on as normal.
    I'm sorry that I contributed to his suicide.
    I miss his daily phone calls and I miss him just being here in general.
  • Options
    Stop telling everyone you're fine. Start telling the people who should know and can know that you're not. Sometimes, you won't be.

I'm not surprised that you blame yourself, and I say that because I blamed myself for my mum, and she had cancer. People will tell me that it's absurd, and silly, she was sick, and there was nothing I could do. Try to remember that your dad was sick too, and while it's not the same, sometimes you can't do anything. You can't be with someone 24/7, especially when they are your parent. He also would probably have been aware of how socially strange it would be for him to rely on you, and kept things from you for that reason.

You'll be ok.
  • Options
    I told someone yesterday (via text) that I wasn't fine...it was almost like it just got brushed over but at least now she knows and that was probably the only person I feel I can be really honest with...
    I blame myself because I could see it coming and I did nothing. I understand he was ill but I didn't try and help. I will never forget the night before or the morning because of how he was...he told me the night before "he couldn't live like this anymore" but I thought he meant he couldn't live with my mum anymore because they had, had a massive argument...he was in genuine despair that morning and I just went to work because I couldn't stand the arguments...I guess that just makes me selfish.
  • Options
    Not at all. My previous girlfriend and I reached breaking point because of my problems with depression. A lot of people would call her selfish, and in the interest of openness, I'd call her a bulldog faced slag. The fact is she was 23, and we'd been together since she was 18. She'd spent her uni life with me in a steady downward spiral. She'd graduated, got a job, but was held back by me. She was young, no-one can really blame her for wanting to live normally.

You're young, no-one would blame you for not wanting to hear another argument, for getting tired of the drain on your own internal emotional resources. We all wish we were superhuman when the people near us are hurt. But we're not. We get tired, we need a break, we want to escape.

You thought he meant living with your mum. If you had genuinely thought he meant taking his own life, I expect you would have acted differently.
  • Options
    I would put up with as many arguments as I had to if it meant he was still here.

I know this sounds bloody awful and I hate myself for even thinking it but I resent my mum for arguing with him...I understand people argue but she always has to make a point and continue to make that point long after it's necessary. He would never normally apologise and the fact he was pleading with her to listen to him and he kept saying sorry should have made her realise he was genuinely sorry.

I knew something wasn't right and if I could just have that day back I really would never have gone to work...I would have tried to get him help...I would of done anything.

Out of both parents he was the one that could tell me everything would be ok and mean it. He was one of the most selfless people I know and he put everyone else's needs before his own. It never mattered how many times I screwed up he would forgive me and he always made my mum see sense if she was angry at me for making a mistake. We both had the same sense of humour and could sit here and laugh for hours...he always said laughter was the best cure for anything and if I was ever upset he would make me laugh until my sides hurt.

I want to stop missing him so it stops hurting.
  • Options
    I'm sure you would have, we go through this stage, I would do that if they were here. But we didn't, or couldn't have. I wish I'd told my mum I loved her, maybe she would have fought harder against it if I had. But she knew I did, and it made no difference to how sick she was. I'm left with that, and other regrets, and you will be left with the regrets of how you imagine you could have stopped him, no matter how realistic they are. You'll come to terms with them eventually, but you have them for now.

Resenting your mum is a natural thing too, but try to bear in mind that in her head she is thinking something like "If only we hadn't argued so much, he's dead because I couldn't control my temper, he's dead because of me, because I couldn't let the little things go". It doesn't make it better, but blaming her for something that isn't her fault any more than it is yours will cause more pain.

Your father sounds like when he was up, he was a wonderful man, you will miss him any time you wish you could have shared something with him. But it will stop hurting like it does.
  • Options
    the first thing you have come to terms with is, that the world and life doesn't give a damn about what you want. So instead being sad that you do not get what you want, try to change the things that you want.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    the first thing you have come to terms with is, that the world and life doesn't give a damn about what you want. So instead being sad that you do not get what you want, try to change the things that you want.

Perhaps a little blunt but the sense of this I think is that, as Fiend_85 says, it's natural to hang on to all the 'what ifs' but try not to let them take over as they often don't get you very far. Finding an outlet for all that anger towards your mum wil help, be honest about how you feel but do try and remember that we all do what we feel we can at the time. If we knew what was going to happen in the future we would all be likely to change things in our lives today but no one can predict these things.

When you're ready to look forward both you and your mum will be changed from what's happened and despite all the arguments, no one can take away all the good times that you did have together as a family.

Give yourself space to just feel it all. There's no rules on how you should be dealing with this so try to be kind to yourself and keep posting when you need to :heart:
  • Options
    I'm so sorry for you...i know how you feel because i've been there too...but trust me, sooner or later you'll learn to live with it...>:D<
  • Options
    I don't blame my mum, I was just angry and I've just been really irritable.

I guess I only really think of the "what-ifs" when I'm feeling really low but after spending 4 hours in the sun today I'm feeling better :-)
  • Options
    That's good news. Enjoy the little things as often as possible, you sound like someone who's pretty resilient, so you're going to be just fine before you even realise it. Enjoy the sun (when we've got it), enjoy your friends, enjoy doing a good job at work, enjoy a nice meal. Everything can bring you a little bit more joy, so grab hold of it.
  • Options
    First event I've taken part in that I wish my dad could have been a part of today...
    I took part in a charity abseil in his memory...I'm really struggling with the fact he wasn't there to watch it or to talk to about it afterwards...
    It's been an emotional day all round...it brought back that overwhelming sense of missing him.
    I also had a bit of a wake up call about how this is impacting on my mum...I just feel so guilty...
  • Options
    There is no need for guilt, just recognise the driver and act on it. Give your mum a hug.

The charity abseil sounds like it was a lot of fun, I'm sure he would have been proud.
  • Options
    The charity abseil thing sounds brilliant - Well done for doing it! We're all proud of you.

Remember what I said a few weeks ago? Probably not - I rarely do. But here goes again. It will never completely stop hurting, and time doesn't heal, but what it will do it increase the gaps between the sad bits, and increase the time you spend with happy memories being able to look back at all the great things about your dad, and the good stuff in your life today.

The afternoon in the sunshine is one really good example of that. Hold onto that, and remember that the high points come round. You may find that helps next time you're feeling sad.

Each day is a new day, with new challenges, and new feelings about them.

In my life, today was my first day back in the office after 6 weeks away. It also means its the first day back in the real world where I can stop hiding from the less good bits in life. I've had chocolate bounty cake, and good gossip with some colleagues - so there have been some very good bits. As well as the moments I was sitting in the traffic on the way to work trying to work out how I'd get throgh today.
  • Options
    I can't cope anymore :-( I've really had enough...I want to go somewhere else and start again but I can't escape all the crap :-(
  • Options
    Remember that sunny afternoon? Hold onto that memory, there will be plenty more of those to come.

Did you ever do anything about counselling?
  • Options
    Nice sharing.
    I'm not surprised that you blame yourself,
    and I say that because I blamed myself for my mum, and she had cancer.
  • Options
    I'm trying...i'm just fed up of all the arguments and I'm fed up of being relied upon...things are just becoming stressful at work as well as home...

I got in contact with the uni counselling service as I'm on a placement year so still entitled to the service but they said I would need to wait until after Easter. Also, when I spoke to my doctor he said that it was all natural reactions to the situation and that I wouldn't really benefit...he said if I was still struggling in a few months then that would be when I would find it useful...
  • Options
    Do work know your father passed away recently? If not, it's definitely worth thinking about telling your manager.

Do you have any one in your life who looks after you, or could look after you a bit rather than you always being the one who's looking out for someone else?

In my case I've got some friends through one of my hobbies who are slightly older than I am, and are good for chilled out chats and having an offload to occasionally. Cousins/uncles/aunts/ slightly removed relatives might be another one.
  • Options
    Scary Monster makes a good point. Seeking support from people who know and love you but who are removed from the grief is a good call. I got support from the family of my friends from school. In fact, one family I've got very close to and can still speak to my friend's mother as if she were almost my own.

As for your doctor, he's probably right with respect to jumping on meds, and Easter is closer than it feels with regard to the counselling service. Hold tight, we're all still here.
  • Options
    I have told both work and uni, both have been supportive...my manager is more like a friend than anything and she came to my dads funeral with me...I think maybe I've tried to cover up how I feel because I didn't want to burden her but I'm opening up to her a bit more now but there is only so much she can do...

In terms of family, it all gets quite messy...it is long and complicated but I just don't have any family that I could really go to..especially when the one I could rely on to help me through anything is not here any more.

I wouldn't want meds...my doctor was referring to counselling...I am unsure about it though because I don't know what to expect from it...
  • Options
    Counselling experiences can vary based on where you're getting it and the counsellors personality. But by and large you'll be encouraged to talk about what's happened. Mostly they want to guide you to understanding it by yourself and will almost certainly not give you advice or insights.
  • Options
    I know...he never had to tell me...he could of talked to anyone...it didn't matter who...
    I just miss him...
  • Options
    You'll always miss him, and that's okay. A time will come when it's easier to miss him - it'll change from a crippling emotion to a sad one, to one that may even at times cause you smiles.
  • Options
    I just want someone to make this all go away...I just want to go to sleep and hope I don't wake up again...i've never felt so alone :(
  • Options
    It sounds very familiar. I know we're far away, but we're here. Is there someone nearby you can turn to?
  • Options
    I wrote a letter to my manager...it wasn't in too much detail...it was just enough to explain all the things going on and it was about giving her an understanding of the situation. She has been nothing but supportive and is constantly reminding me that she's there if I need her but she has her own stuff to deal with and knowing that means I don't feel comfortable having in depth conversations with her...I guess in the back of my mind I feel like she'll be thinking to herself "are you not over this yet?" but I know that's probably me just being paranoid and feeling like there are people in worse situations...ohh I don't know, I'm just confused and going round in circles!!
  • Options
    Bereavements are very very hard. She's unlikely to blame you for "not being over it yet".
  • Options
    I'm so tired but I dread going to sleep because I fear the reoccuring nightmare of watching my dads suicide. It's distressing seeing that look of despair on his face and although the dreams don't represent what happened they portray my feelings...I don't know if I can live with the guilt, the feeling of missing someone so much or in fear of what's going to happen next because I just seem to be watching my family fall apart day by day...i'm helpless.