Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Beating depression... In the gym!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Beating depression... In the gym!
Well, I have just signed up for a gym membership... I don't wanna come down with SAD this winter, as I am no longer a student and cannot afford to hide all day.

I joined the gym also to lose some weight... I am lost without targets and things to aim for.

I was just wondering if anybody has any experience of exercise on mental health.

I know that it has a positive impact.

Are there any particular exercises which are best?

Comments

• Options
    Yes!! The gym does absolute wonders for my mood, more than anything else (even the beloved alcohol, lol). I can get extremly down and a trip to the gym can make me feel as close to normal for at least part of the day. Sometimes I'll not want to leave the house, just stay inside and cry or something, but I'll force myself to go and I'll feel like a whole new person after.

As for what exercises... anything that you enjoy. Though, I find the harder I've pushed myself, the better I feel, so a casual stroll on the treadmill or a book and a bike won't get me very far. I enjoy lifting, that gets the heart rate going and the stress out!
  • Options
    Hi

For me it's ballet that helped, for the main reason that I'm so busy concentrating on the steps that anything else gets forgotten for those 2 hours. Guess that isn't really useful for most people though!

Nina x
  • Options
    I find even going just for a walk or cycle ride helps. A bit of fresh air does seem to do wonders. Better than sitting at home stewing in your room anyways