Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Home treatments for bursitis

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I ended up getting bursitis (and tendinitis) after a ju jitsu move went wrong. It flares up from time to time, I rest my hip, elevate it, switch between ice and heat, take ibuprofen and then start to work it after a day.

This time it's not helping! I've been in pain for a good week and it's not getting better! Is there anything else I can do before going back to the doctors for a physio referral?

Comments

• Options
    Hi Miss_Riot

Bursitis sounds like it can be uncomfortable.

Hugs for you *hug*

The NHS website has more info on the condition for those that are unsure of what it is.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/bursitis/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Miss_Riot, it does say on the site if symptoms don't improve after two weeks its best to consult with a doctor.

Its always best to check things out with a GP anyway to confirm symptoms etc.

Please let us know how you get on.

Phil :thumb:
  • Options
    Not really worth going to back to the doctor about on its own, but its not got a lot better. I can walk about now, but not for long and any sudden movements and its hurting again...

Just another pain to add to the list :(
  • Options
    Hi,

I too have hip bursitis. Mine started about ten years ago now when I was walking my dog, she was on the lead we both jumped over a gully but silly me the dog landed first and started to run forward so i landed on my hip straight onto a lump of concrete sticking out the ground. I did'nt think I had done any damage til a week or so later when i could'nt sleep for the hip pain.

I did go to docs and was diagnosed, physio did a injection to try to reduce the inflamation but that did not work, and she just said oh it will probably go over the next year! Ten years ago that was. I find sleepin g with a pillow between my legs helps keep the hip elevated to the correct position at night so reduces the tension on it a little.

I am unable to use anti inflamatories now due to stomach ulcer, so as you do it is down to plently of rest and gentle movement, ice and heat packs. If it is getting to you do go to the doc's cause there is such a thing as infected bursitis and it would def need treatment. they will drain the bursitis if it is bad, not a cure but would relieve it for a time.

I find I have fits and spurts with it being troublesome and then other times no prob at all. must admit it is more of a regular problem hese days.
  • Options
    Its coming and going, sometimes I'll have it for a couple of days and then not for a few months when I have it for a month or more.

Do you know of any shaped pillows? I have very tender inner knees (inflamed often), and I can only get to sleep on my side with my knees up (fetal postition). Someone said that such things exist but I've not been able to find one yet
  • Options
    I use a body pillow, basically it is like a long pillow, so i sort of lean my body against it when sleeping on my side aswell as being able to rest my leg on it. I got mine from Aldi a while back now, unfortunatly they don't have these things in all the time. I think maybe one of those mobility type shops would probably have something, but cause they cost a bit. Don't know if you registered disabled at all but at least you wouold get vat off.

I just had a quick look on ebay and they have the sort of thing I use the body pillows on there. I literally just typed in body pillow, you may find something that maybe ok for both your knees and hips. Let me know how you get on.