Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Supported housing for disabled people

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I really want to move out, really can't stand living here any more. (My senses are causing major issues for me and with 2 dogs, it is so bloody noisy here, which is starting to get painful)

There is no way I could manage by myself; as I need quite a bit of personal care.

Where would I find information on support housing for disabled people living in Plymouth, please? Google only throws up results about supported living for older people, something about housing for wheelchair users and people with learning disabilities. Yes, I am being tested for learning / developmental disorders; but also have a load of physical disabilities which may make living in supported housing for people with learning disabilities hard.

Comments

• Options
    Local council's housing option's office should be able to help.
  • Options
    What about contacting the RNIB and such people as well?
  • Options
    Hey there Melian,

Sorry to hear about your current living conditions; it must be uncomfortable at times.

RandomGirl and Miss_Riot have already made 2 great suggestions. Here is some more information;

1. Plymouth Council - housing options - http://www.plymouth.gov.uk/homelessnessandallocations
    There is a list of options here. In particular you may like to read the section called 'Sheltered housing'.

You can also visit the Council at
    Housing Advice
    Midland House
    Notte Street
    Plymouth PL1 2EJ
    Here you can get
    advice, be assessed for housing needs, make enquiries about accommodation and allocations and be signposted to other agencies in the city in the private and charitable sector.

2. RNIB - support blind and partially sighted people - http://www.rnib.org.uk/LIVINGWITHSIGHTLOSS/Pages/sight_loss.aspx
    They have a helpline - 0303 123 9999
    They can help in many ways; providing information, tools to help your everyday life and support.

3. You may like to have a look at these DirectGov pages about moving house if you are disabled - http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/HomeAndHousingOptions/YourHome/DG_10039672
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/HomeAndHousingOptions/YourHome/DG_10018283
    They have a few grants that you could be eligible for. For example grants to help make changes to your new home to make it more suitable for you.

4. Finally, you may like to read Real Life story about renting with a disability - http://www.thesite.org/community/reallife/truestories/rentingwithadisability
    It has a link to Scope at the bottom; the disability charity who offer free, impartial and expert information, advice and support to disabled people and their families: They have a freephone helpline 0808 800 33 33. You may also like to look around their website for more information about their services and campaigns.

I hope this helps and good luck with the house hunt. :)
  • Options
    Thank you. :)

I have spoken to the council who are useless. I've been told I have to bid on properties. I don't want that - I need supported housing.
  • Options
    Do you actually need supported housing? Or do you just need supported living? Which might be provided in supported housing or by carer support when you're living elsewhere?
  • Options
    Do you actually need supported housing? Or do you just need supported living? Which might be provided in supported housing or by carer support when you're living elsewhere?

I am not sure at all. All I know is that I need to get out of here. Really getting fed up now. :(
  • Options
    So have you considered doing what the council suggest and bidding on places?
  • Options
    Have you also contacted social services? It might be best to bid and see if you can get a support worker/care worker through them...
  • Options
    Thanks. I've had nothing but problems with social services. First of all, they refused to help me and then when I put a complaint in, only gave me the minimum I needed.
  • Options
    Time to get an advocate then...
  • Options
    Hate to break it to you - but if you can't get social services or the coucil to deem you necessary of support then you're going to be somewhat stuck.

Have you ever considered that you may not be eligible for long term support and instead it's a case of needing to learn some life skills?