Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

self harm HELP ME

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I need help, I used to harm regualrly but the last couple of weeks ive harmed on monday and then been fine the rest of the week, ive had a major kick off with my dad and ive cut 3 times yesterday and once today all i want to do now is find somthing sharp and cut deep im banging my head against a wall because on one hand i want to stop and on the other all i can think about now is cutting Old Mad

Comments

• **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey wild-n-wonderful (cool name) :)

Welcome to TheSite :wave:

You've told us you used to self-harm regularly but have recently started to reduce how often - that's really positive. I'm just wondering how you've managed to do this as it sounds like you've started to identify some ways of coping and distractions that have to some extent been working well for you. It would be good to reflect on what some of these things are if you can.

Having said this, it's understandable that when really difficult situations arise (such as things kicking off with your Dad) you find the urge to self-harm comes back and you find it hard to think about anything else. Do these arguments happen regularly? Do you know what triggers them?

Would I be right in saying you're starting to feel like you're ready to stop, but also not sure if you can?

It's worth bearing in mind that stopping completely after you've been harming regularly is unlikely to happen overnight and that each day you go without doing it is an achievement. Perhaps try and think about it in terms of taking small steps to find new ways of coping and dealing with difficult situations.

You may well have already discovered the content we have on TheSite relating to self-harm, but I'm just going to highlight some of the articles I think might be helpful to you right now...

If you haven't been able to tell anyone about your experiences offline, then check out our advice about confiding in someone. It can often be a relief to share your pain with someone who can help you on a day-by-day basis.

You may also find our tips on coping with self-harm useful.

Finally, check out our page of support groups and websites to find out where you can get further help.

Take care and keep posting. :)