Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

I need some direction...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm 25 and I've been working for the same company since I graduated in 2007 (Joint BA Hons Politics and Sociology - 2:1). It's a great company to work for, brilliant benefits and salary, and I've been promoted since I've been here. The thing is, I sort of fell in to the job by accident and was never really sure it was what I wanted to do but it's a very comfortable working environment so staying has been easy. Now I feel as though I'm coming to a cross roads in my life and I'm not sure which path to take... I've always been really keen to teach, but it'd mean going back to education and I'm not sure I could cope with not earning money for a year while I'm training. Then there's wedding and/or event planning. This is where my skills really lie and I think I'd be great at it... I suppose I'd consider myself a bit of a 'jack of all trades'. All I've ever known is that I want to make a difference to peoples' lives. I'm struggling to take find the confidence to take the plunge and do something about this restlessness! I consider my key skills to be: communication; organisation and planning; creativity; negotiation; and giving feedback. I also get a huge amount of satisfaction out of helping people and that would have to be core to anything I do.

The problem is that the job I'm in now is fairly secure and leaving it in the current employment climate for something which I might fail miserably at just seems insane. To top it off, my boyfriend and I are keen to travel but I realise that I'm not getting any younger and I also want to settle down and start a family (or at least be trying!) by the time I'm 30.

I feel as though there are hundreds of things I want to do, but no direction and not enough time to do everything. It's really getting me down and I just don't know what to do about it. I've tried sitting down and making a plan, but there's just too much to think about and I get frustrated that I can't make my mind up.

I know it's difficult based on such a limited amount of information, but any advice on what to do/where to go from here would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Sam:wave:

Comments

• LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    :wave: Samantha_86 and welcome to TheSite!

It sounds as though you are at a tricky crossroads in your life right now that many people experience. When you first graduate there is pressure to get a job of any kind and earning money is novelty. But because of this many people fall into jobs like you and may not get round to thinking through what they really want to do until a few years later. But it's great that you are thinking about your options now whilst you are still young and have the opportunity to re-train or explore other avenues, so don't put pressure on yourself.

It sounds as though you are comfortable in the job you are in and getting a completely new job is a scary concept, as is studying with no income.

It sounds as though you are pretty sure what jobs you are interested in: teaching and event planning, and the fact that you know this a great step. Have you thought about seeing or speaking to a careers advisor before? NextStep is one option you can call and talk through your situation. We also have expert chat sessions here at TheSite and tomorrow night's chat is all about careers, so it might be useful for you to pop along and ask a question. It will run from 7-8pm and all the other details can be found on the boards here.

There are also other options to consider to studying such as on the job training. I am not sure where you live, but a career in teaching there are options such as Teach First or the Graduate Teaching Programme where you learn on the job and get paid.

For both teaching and event planning have you thought about getting some experience whilst you are working and earning? Volunteering is a great way to do this, and you can find opportunities in your local area on our website Do-it.org. Or is there the option to decrease the hours you do in your current job and doing another part-time role in something relevant to your aims e.g. classroom support assistant or events assistant? Getting some experience may help you to be completely sure whether you are making the right decision.

I hope this helps you start to explore your options, and do pop into the careers chat tomorrow if you can :thumb:

LauraO