Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Dont apply if you have a degree

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I hate job applications that say this. I know they are looking for a certain type of person but is it just a teeny bit possible that that person has a degree anyway?

What would happen if I lied, said i didnt have one and they found out? Although i dont know how i would explain 3 blank years on my CV

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Someone told me it's illegal to discriminate against somebody because they're overqualified.

If they found out you could tell them 'deal with it' and then face some constructive dismissal as they decide which of the million ordinary things you did breached their obscure contracting.

Job market sucks though, in all seriousness. So you'll get nonsense ads like that :(
    I've always been told its discriminating too. Unless they have a legitimate reason why they can't hire someone because they have a degree (which I can't think of any) then they're breaking the law and you should report it.
    It's not illegal to "discriminate" in terms of qualifications at all. It is unlawful to discriminate in terms of age, gender, religion, sexuality or similar but saying you don't want graduates for a role doesn't discriminate against any of these groups, either directly or indirectly.

When an employer assesses qualifications in this way what they are really saying is that they don't want someone who will bugger off for a better job after ten minutes. If you're desperately looking for a job, any job, this will show through at interview, believe me. If you're happy to stick with the job for the medium term then it won't be an issue. It would be difficult to argue that omitting qualifications is fraudulent but ask yourself why you want the job and decide if it is the one for you.
    Well to be honest this isnt a for a job i was thinking for applying for, I was just flicking through and saw it, but in terms of the general area (film/media stuff), it wouldnt be a job just for the hell of it cos I already have one of those, it would be because I wanted to build my experience and confidence and see where it took me. I guess if I explained that in an interview that would be helpful.