Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

solo travelling!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
hi peoples.

just wondering who (if anyone) has been travelling for an extended amount of time on their own?
I'd love to hear any tales but any girls on heregone on their own?
I'm 25 and thinking of leaving in late August/September time for maybe a year.
just need to escape this place and get travelling out of my system before I settle down to be a teacher!
no idea where I wanna go either so gimme suggestions.
& opinions. would you go travelling on your bill? do u think being a girl affects things? would you go on a website for like minded travellers or just see who's on the plane/bus?
it actually doesn't daunt me, I'm an outgoing person and I like making new friends I just wondered about the safety thing and whether, from your experiences, people do go on their own?!

taaaa x
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm not sure I can speak to the safety aspect of it, especially from a woman's perspective, but when I was travelling meeting new people was often easiest in places that have a hostel rather than a hotel culture. All the typical Asian countries will be easy to meet people: Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, etc. as they're all about hostels and open-plan hotels. India is amazing, though tougher to meet people as hotels are so cheap. You'll meet people regardless of where you go, especially if you're gregarious, as just travelling on a bus of a train you'll often find yourself chatting to some random people and then spending a few days with them.

If you're happy in your own company for a few days at a time I wouldn't worry about going on your own. What I found tended to happen is you'll meet some people and spend a week or so with them, then go your separate ways and spend a few days on your own until you meet the next group.
  • Starry nightStarry night Posts: 674 Incredible Poster
    I have always really wanted to do this but am pretty scared. My only advice perhaps is maybe doing alot of train journeys by yourself in Britain (not sure how old you are so sorry if it doesn't apply) so you get used to travelling long distances across country by yourself.
    Hey Kezia
    I knew a girl recently who wanted to travel over Asia, and she was advised to avoid places like India and Pakistan as a solo female traveler, purely from a personal safety perspective. But if you're confident enough and have your head screwed on, I can't see any reason why the world isn't your oyster tbh.

I'm hoping to travel Norway, Sweden and Finland this year with a Eurail train pass solo. Can't wait :-)
    Awww hun no worries there,

I am 21 now and have been travelling by my self for the last 2 years. I began my own independance at the age of 16 when i wanted to go to a ballet school in america and my parents said no. Nevertheless i applied behind their backs and got in and raised the $10,000 in a month and went. At that age i knew nothing. After 3 months of living in Harlem (the ghetto haha) i came back a changed young individual. My parents were speechless. This then inspired me to take an international degree. I then went back to the states for a year in a different state not knowing anyone and again starting from scratch. this is one of the best things you could ever do and is life changing. After that i moved to Spain and am Now working for a Company here in Germany.

So i'd say go for it. Grab the opportunity whilst its yours. Yes its scary and no its not easy at first but once you become settled there is absolutely no way in hell you would begin going back home to live. Hopefully you will become inspired and enjoy the way i have.

I hope this has answered your question :wave:
    haha euro rail is the in thing. i also plan to travel on this too this month to switzerland, Paris, Denmark and not sure on the firth destination yet. I just found out about it. they're just awesome!
    Do it love!

I've travelled a bit on my own and also worked in that industry for almost 2 years of my life and exactly what has been said above, you can always find people if you want to travel with them whilst you are on your way. I personally love travelling on my own, open to so many opportunities!