Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

"Roll the dice" game/way of living

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If you watched Skins (episode 3) you'll know what I'm talking about.
If not read on! Basically, one of the characters has a daily list with six things on it, and he has a dice. He rolls the dice and has to do whatever it corresponds to on his list. This was so there is an element of randomness in his life.

Do you reckon it'd work? What would you put on your list (have to be achievable and not too stupid!)

i.e. I think I'd like something like this:

1) Offer to make all my housemates unlimited tea for a day
2) Go on a spontaneous trip to a random town.
3) Actually join an orchestra instead of just contemplating it.
4) Give my room a thorough clean
5) Write a letter to a friend (the "good old fashioned way")
6) Bake a cake

Obviously some take more effort than others. Maybe I'll even be tempted to do it!

Comments

• Options
    This idea was stolen by skins off of the book The Dice Man, which is a good read.
  • Options
    I haven't heard of this idea before. But it sounds great to introduce a bit of randomness in your life, especially if you're not naturally spontaneous. I may even try this myself!
    I'm not sure what kind of things I'd include though...

Just looked up The Dice Man as Mist mentions where the idea originates from.
  • Options
    sounds like it could be a book I need to read! I'm not sure I'd like the dice to make all my decisions though but would spice up boring days!
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    This idea was stolen by skins off of the book The Dice Man, which is a good read.

It is a very good book, would recommend it :)
    The final two episodes of Luther last year were about criminals doing things by dice roll, also very good.
    I think it's an interesting concept, but I wouldn't want my life to be run by the roll of a dice! Would be good if you couldn't decide what to do one day I guess.
  • Options
    Wow, there's still people in the world who haven't heard of The Dice Man.

I dislike the book, why is it surprising that applying no reason to decisions would lead to ruin :confused:
  • Options
    I can never make decisions so I have a little electronic dice that I use all the time to decide things for me :p 1-3 I eat the brownie ice cream, 4-6 I eat the cookie dough.
  • Options
    Yup there's still people out there :wave: lol
    Well I don't think I'd use it for important decisions, more for those like my example i.e. you have a free day to fill or what should I cook for dinner. Enough that you get some random elements in your life. I wouldn't use it for massive decisions though, that would be a bit too risky for my liking!
  • Options
    sounds like it could be a book I need to read! I'm not sure I'd like the dice to make all my decisions though but would spice up boring days!

Which kind of undermines the point of doing it. The whole concept is based around letting the randomness of a dice roll take control of your life - the only thing you control is what the options are. I'd recommend the book too, I read it years ago.