Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Sore Pierced ears

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My ears have been pierced since I was 9yrs old, so, over ten yrs ago.

I go through periods of wearing earrings and then not. Now I'm going through a period of my ears being sore when I wear earrings and when I take them out.

I have bathed my lobes with a cotton pad with just warm water and I've also tried warm water with a couple of drops of TCP and I've also tried savlon.

What else can try?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    You could be having a reaction to the metals in the earrings. Do you notice the pain with one metal than another?
  • Options
    I notice the soreness whichever earrings I put in, whichever metal it is.

My ears didn't used to be this sore :confused: I took some small gold hoops out that I had in, this afternoon and the bit that goes through your ear was covered in a bit of blood.

I may be over cleansing them I don't know...
  • Options
    it sounds like you have an infection tbh, but to rule everything out:

- Only cleanse them twice a day. Use freshly boiled warm (not boiling hot) water with salt added (a teaspoonful to a small mugfull should get it). Cleanse them for 2 weeks, if still not getting better then go see your GP. Don't use Savlon or TCP because, although they will kill any bacteria they have alcohol in them and will irritate it further. It could just be an irritation rather than an infection.
    - get some titianium or stainless steel earrings. You are least likely to be allergic to either of these materials.
    - Do not force earrings in, and when cleaning them never scrub or rub or anything like that, just use some (preferably sterile) gauze or if not some cotton buds (not cotton wool because it can leave fibers behinds and irritate further). Don't touch the piercing with unwashed hands!!

I hope that helps a bit!!
  • Options
    OUCH! I had my ears pierced and my ears went swallon. I found out that my ears had puss inside the lobes so I squeezed out the puss as hard as possible and it stopped the pain. I recommend you NOT to do this though as it might make your ears worse. You should get advice from the doctor on what you should do to your ears. I hope that helped.