Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Moving Out...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Im 14 and I want to move out my house and live with other family.
Im fed up with my dad because he is a control freak, tidiness obsessed Hitler clone. He hates me and goes out of his way to make me miserable, and I've had enough of it now. I want to go away and live with someone else for a bit...
can anyone give me details on the law and doing that?
any help is appreciated!

Angel of Death
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    You dad probably doesn't hate you, you're only 14 and he probably thinks that everything you do goes against everything he wants you to do. Everybody thinksa their parents hate them when they're your age. It is a cliche, but it really is hormones.

Unless your dad is breaking the law (hitting you severely, not feeding you, abusing you etc) then there isn't much chance that the local authorities will aloow you to move out into a foster home or similar.

Are things really that bad?
  • Options
    He is really bad. Even my mum complains about it, and tells me it'll be ok, I just need to do what he says and then he wont fight with me. But I dont want to be bossed about by him, being treated like a slave , he seriously does NOTHING for himself... I know it sounds all teen-angsty, but he is much worse than an average father to a teen. :(
    I really can't take living with him anymore, it's making my depression worse and I'm gonna end up back in psychiatric care again. My mum doesn't dare stand up to him, and ask him to be nicer, cause he has to have everything his own way... and I just dont want to live that way.

Angel of Death
  • Options
    Hello Angel

I'm sorry to hear you are having a hard time of it. Unfortunately BumbleBee is right about the legal side of things, and you can't legally move out until you are 16 or in real danger. Most teens do think their parents hate them at some stage or other, so do ask yourself whether you are overreacting. What do your friends think? However if you feel he really is worse than most, there are a couple of things you could consider to make your life easier.

Talk to your mum about how unhappy he is making you, and how, as you are already suffering from depression you need a little respite to lift your mood. Are there friends or relatives you could stay with that she would feel happy about, not all the time, but for a weekend here and there, or when it's all getting too much.

Don't completely run away from the problem though - have you tried telling your dad who his behaviour makes you feel? It may simply be that he doesn't realise how upset you are, and if you tell him, he may try to be nicer.

If you feel you can't talk to either of your parents then confide in a teacher or your counseller (if you have one) or call childline: 0800 1111 for free 24 hour advice.

Take care
    Susie :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Susie

If you feel you can't talk to either of your parents then confide in a teacher or your counseller (if you have one) or call childline: 0800 1111 for free 24 hour advice.

Susie is definately right here!