Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Sex & Contraception HELP URGENTLY

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok here goes...
i went to the doctors today to go on the pill. i am still a virgin but i am seeing this guy who lives away at uni. the next time we see each other i think we might end up having sex so i want to be protected. the problem is i don't know when to start taking the pill, if i start it tomorrow then i will probably be on my period when we are planning to see each other :-/
i am on my period now as well so if i start taking the pill on monday (thats the date i am thinking) will it be a problem because i know it advises you to start the pill on the first day of your period
please can anyone help me because i am feeling pretty confused about what to do and when to take it. basically does it matter if i start the pill when i am not on my period and what would you suggest.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'd suggest you use a condom until you're sure it's working.

I'm not an expert on these matters, but I was under the impression that you have to take the pill for at least a month before you can consider yourself good to go.
  • Options
    *Holly**Holly* Deactivated Posts: 140 Helping Hand
    Hi there hidingbehindasmile

It's great that you're taking taking the issue of contraception seriously and asking these questions. Unfortunately the pill - and the way its science works - doesn't always work with your life plan.

I'm surprised your GP didn't give you more guidelines about how to start taking it but you should have started on the first day of your period. The combined pill works by tricking your ovaries into thinking you're pregnant so they don't release an egg. Therefore, because you've not started taking the pill yet, there's a chance your ovaries has already released a new egg so you won't be protected if you start on Monday. Read the booklet that comes with your pill cover-to-cover and I'm quite sure they'll tell you you're going to have to wait until the first day of your NEXT period now. So you're not going to be protected if you sleep with this guy until after your NEXT period. Annoying, I know, but it's really better to be safe than sorry.

Does that make sense? The pill can be a bit compicated to work out at first so feel free to ask lots more questions either here on the boards, or through our AskTheSite anonymous advice service.

It's worth pointing out that, to protect yourself from STIs, you will need to use a condom too. It's not just pregnancy you need to worry about. It's only 'safe' to stop using condoms until after this guy has had an STI test. Otherwise you're putting yourself at risk of all sorts of nasty infections. There's advice on them all here.

Lastly, I'm sure you're aware of this already, but losing your virginity is a big step. It seems in your post that you're maybe a little rushed/inpatient to do it? I understand you're lacking in opportunitiy because this guy lives far away but remember it's your right to wait as long as you need to. If he's worth it, he'll understand.
    It may be worth reading these two articles - just to prepare yourself for what it all involves.
    Losing your virginity
    Am I ready for sex?

Sorry there's a barrage of info in this post, but with sex, pregnancy, and STIs it's worth being as informed as possible. As I said, any questions, just ask :) The sexual advice charity Brook is also really good too. They have a free and confidential phoneline you can ring about any sex issue.

Hope that helps.

Holly