Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Move on or stay?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been in this relationship for nearly seven months . he is blind and has fits his mum is over protective. Very protective! So we don't go out the house because i stay at his. We toy fight because we do get bored and my boyfriend Jamie had a few bruises and his mum seen them. Then we had tea and she pulled up his top and said "whos put these bruises on you" so i said "i done it" she said "i don't wanna see bruises like that on my son i gave birth to him twenty five years ago" So because there was tention i went ome to let the dust settle. A week after Jamie had another chat with his mam and said i'm no longer welcome. She also said he can do alot better than me. He should try and find some1 else. I'm a cheeky mare. His dad said if we had kids it would mess his life up. And if we went out i would leave him on his own. Then on Tdayy she text me and said we can put everything behind us and i can come back dwn. I luv him but all tht stuff was so hurtfull i dnt know weather to dump him or move on?? Pls help me

Comments

• Options
    Im not sure if you should make such a rash decision when this isnt your boyfriends fault, its his mum who is the problem.

Its understandable shes so protective of him if hes blind, so maybe you two need to sit down and talk about you being together. Its probably not you she has a problem with but with letting her son go.
  • Options
    i know non off this his is fault and i can totally understand where his parents are comeing from... It's the hurtfull stuff they said about me thinks that we can't carry on now that i know what they really think off me. But yeah i think we all need to just sit down and get everything out in the air and go from there. Because i dont wanna lose him because of his parents... Thank you Lexi.
  • Options
    Yea, maybe theyre just worried that he wont be able to cope without them or something, and they just need reassurance that you will take care of him (i dont mean that in a patronising way, i mean in any way that he needs help)
  • Options
    If it was me, I play the bullshit game, where you basically act nice and do the things you have to, to get his parents approval. Even if its little things. You don't have to like his parents, but you love him, and so for him you have to go the extra mile and put on a smile. I suppose its harder to do this when you both spend all your time at his parents house. Is there no way you could get your own space?

A lot of people would find my approach fairly yellowbellied and avoiding conflicts at all cost (which is fair), but I've found in a lot of cases, if you can 'keep people happy', even the most unbearable personalities can be dealt with and manoeuvred around.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    If it was me, I play the bullshit game, where you basically act nice and do the things you have to, to get his parents approval. Even if its little things. You don't have to like his parents, but you love him, and so for him you have to go the extra mile and put on a smile. I suppose its harder to do this when you both spend all your time at his parents house. Is there no way you could get your own space?

A lot of people would find my approach fairly yellowbellied and avoiding conflicts at all cost (which is fair), but I've found in a lot of cases, if you can 'keep people happy', even the most unbearable personalities can be dealt with and manoeuvred around.

Agree with this almost entirely. At the end of the day, you are in a relationship with him, not his parents, they are just a consequence of the relationship and need to be kept sweet. How sad would it be if you left your bf who you love because you don't get on with his parents?

I take a similiar attitude to work, there are people I don't like but I don't go out of my way to cause trouble with them because conflict is counter productive and doesn't do anyone any good. I deal with them the best i can and get on with it.

Would also agree that you need some time alone together
  • Options
    id say bollocks to it, hes 25, its not up to his mum and if he lets her treat him like a baby, then what sort of man is he for you? Its got nothing to do with being blind
  • Options
    id say bollocks to it, hes 25, its not up to his mum and if he lets her treat him like a baby, then what sort of man is he for you? Its got nothing to do with being blind

Agreed. It's probably because she doesn't like the thought of him growing up, etc.
  • Options
    The reason that your boyfriend's mum is acting like this is because for 25 years she has looked after him and looked out for him. He is blind, so she has probably worried about him most of the day all his life. She probably feels that you will take her son away from her and this is why she is so obstructive.

You need to speak to her woman to woman and explain that you care about her son and that you respect her position as his mother, but she also has to trust that you will look after her son. I know that most blind people are perfectly capable of looking after themselves but this woman has clearnly not loosened the apron strings and has left your boyfriend in the position that he is is not as independant as he should be.

It's all about the family coming to terms with change, so you must be understanding. I think to dump your boyfriend woul be a mistake as he is obviously in the middle of all this and isn't at fault.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for you're comments... I'm going down to me boyfriends house next Friday and... If i can have a private chat with his mum. But at the end off the day i think if she's doesnt like us being together then she can lump it. I love the guy and i'm not gonna let her win... Ive realised bye reading all the comments that i'm gonna show his parents that i love him and were together no matter what. If you want something in life fight for it! Thanks everyone.
  • Options
    Good for you! Good luck :)
  • Options
    Woooo you go!