Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Boyfriend worried......

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok...I'm 4"11 and I got weighed in November 2011, because my boyfriend said he was worried about my weight. I agreed, but, made it very clear that I was only getting weighed because HE was worried.

I got weighed ( I have to use a chair weighing scale, as I am a wheelchair user) He didn't speak to me for a few hours, until I said can we have a chat. We both sat down and discussed it, but, as the discussion went on, he became more and more frustrated. He started saying things like "anoreixa" and I'm in denial ect...

I do not think that I am. I have been to my local doctors and they are not worried. ( I had to get weighed at a different hospital, as, my local hospital didn't have the facilities for me)

It is making our relationship rocky, I don't know what to do....

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi, sorry to hear you're having issues. If the doctors are not worried would it be possible to make an appointment with your local GP and take him along, let the GP explain and tell him things are ok. He may feel better hearing it from a GP.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey Shygirl,

*hug* this is a hard one for you. From what you've told us, your boyfriend is worried about your weight but you're not and nor is your doctor. For that reason, it does sound like this is possibly more of a relationships issue than a health one?

Having said that, maybe the fact that you're asking us is because you're not entirely convinced of this yourself and are looking for reassurance about your weight? I'm afraid that it can be really unhealthy to ask online about this aspect so I've removed the information that specifically refers to your weight - this is because you may be right that you're perfectly healthy at that weight, yet for someone else it could be unhealthy and some people reading may be wondering if it's fine for them to be that when in there circumstances it isn't - is that making sense? It's just about avoiding debate around issues to do with weight and eating disorders and being able to focus on your health.

In terms of helping your relationship then... I agree with Hellfire - his suggestion sounds like a really good one.

How are things generally in your relationship?

In terms of health - if there's anything you want to ask us about, then do of course go ahead. :)
    Ok, thank you.

Our relationship is generally fine, we've been together almost 3 years, of course we have our ups and downs like every other couple.

I just think that if I take him along to a GP, it will cause more arguments because I'm fine with the topic of concern. He thinks by taking me to a GP it will "wake me up and make me realise, there is a problem". But I don't think there is one.
    The issue's not whether you think there's a problem, to be honest, it is whether your doctor thinks there's a problem. If your doctor says "there's no problem" it probably won't cause an argument, he should accept that.