Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Applying for a Masters - Oh and another question...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm in the process of applying for a Masters and need to write a personal statement... Only, I'm not 100% sure as to what I should write...

The course is an MSc in Gender, Sexuality and Society... I did my dissertation for my BA (human rights and politics) on a gender related topic and I've volunteered in Nepal with trafficked women, but this was years ago...

I am active with campaigning, but it's mostly anti-cuts, trade union and anti-fascism I'm involved with. I read a lot on gender related issues however and I'd like to do my PHD in a gender related topic...

I just feel a bit intimidated by it as I hate forms. Does anybody have any tips on applying for a Masters? I have a 2:1, which exceeds what they're asking for, but at the same time, I know how competitive it can be to get in to some courses...

Oh and second question... I've thought for ages that I have attention deficit disorder (it something somebody has pointed out to me and a learning support person at a college said I have a lot of symptoms).. Would I be able to get an assessment for it, seeing as I already have one for dyspraxia, if I started a Masters?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    Hi Namaste,

That sounds like a really interesting masters course you're looking at :thumb:

I'm not sure which University you are looking at studying this at, or whether you completed your degree at the same University? However, it might be worth chatting to the course administrator or your previous Uni's career service as they might be able to give you more detail about the course and more generally how to go about applying for it.

It maybe useful to talk to someone who has already applied for a masters, or has done the course that you are thinking of doing. There hasn't been a lot of replies to this post so far, so you may find asking a similar question on[URL="[url]http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forums.php[/url]"] The Student Room[/URL] forum may get you more responses. There are also several threads which address similar questions to yours such as this one about [URL="[url]http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=305505[/url]"]writing a personal statement for a masters[/URL].

Many Universities have their own guidance about how to apply for a Masters course with them, so it's worth visiting their website, or searching for it online and see if any other Universities provide similar advice.

Remember as well, that if you want an answer from a professional you can askTheSite here: http://www.thesite.org/community/askthesite

You also mentioned that you would likean assessment for ADD, and this would probably depend on the University itself, so it's worth asking this question to them or seeing what support the University you are looking at applying to offers. Alternatively, have you thought about seeing your GP about this?

Hope that helps, hopefully others who have applied for Masters themselves will get back to you too....

LauraO