Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

how to stay sane?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, being the super IDIOT that I am, I managed to get pregnant:banghead:. I know I will terminate (anyone who doesn't like that can leave me alone) but I have a week and a half to wait for my first hospital appointment, and more after that I think.

Waiting is killing me, I'm scared, and I'm supposed to be revising. Every day is crap right now, so I was wondering if anybody had a few ideas to keep this idiot sane?

Thank you. x

Comments

• Options
    just take each day as it comes. I think if you pay privately its quicker.
  • Options
    I'm a student. I can't afford to :/ Thank you anyway x
  • Options
    Make sure you take up any councelling offered to you. Have you tried your college/school/uni support services?

Marie Stopes and BPAS might be able to offer more support.
  • Options
    Thoroughly agree with the counselling thing and if you can confide in someone close to you like a friend or a sibling - I know its tricky but it will help to knwo there is omeone to stand by you.

Also try and get it straight in your head what you are doing, tehn hopefullly you will be able to move on quicker afterwards.

and if that doesn;t work LOTS and LOTS fo physical excercise- you will be so tired youw ont be able to think and it will help you sleep.

Keep Smiling
    xxx
  • Options
    MCGrammarMCGrammar Posts: 7 Confirmed not a robot
    Hey HungryAngry

It sounds like you're having a tough time- it can be really difficult to concentrate on anything else (especially college work!) when you've got something big on your mind.

As you've already made the decision to terminate the pregnancy, finding out more about the practicalities of the whole process (i.e how long you will be expected to wait) might help to take away some of the stress and anxiety that uncertainty can cause.

There's a good article here about the process which also includes information about the different types of termination. The procedure that you have depends on the stage of pregnancy that you're at so it's worth having a read so you can go prepared with any questions for your doctor. There's also loads of other information on the NHS Choices website.

You might also be interested in this article about recovering after an abortion- most women recover very quickly but you might want to plan a couple of days off uni/college afterwards as you might experience some discomfort and bleeding. It's also a good idea to have a friend or relative with you on the day for support and also to make sure you get home OK.

As Miss_Riot has mentioned, there is counselling available to you (your provider will offer you at least one free session and your doctor can help you access further support if you need it). You can also talk to Brook while you're waiting for your appointment and confirmation of the actual date for termination- just in case you want to get more details about what to expect or just to chat to someone.

Let us know how you get on... there's always someone here to listen!:)
    xx
  • Options
    Thank you :)

Thank you all so much for your advice!

I had my first hospital appointments today, just scans, blood and consultations.
    It went ok (although I thought I was going to faint after they took blood!). Obviously it wasn't nice, but everyone was lovely - and to have confirmed dates is a big relief.

Less far along than expected, so I can have the medical (pills). Also given some quick counselling at the end by a woman from Brook.

The last appointment is saturday, and a follow-up on valentine's day (how romantic...) just to make sure everything's gone as it should.