Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Yet more house issues...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I really don't know what to do...

The house we moved into (and promptly had to grab what we needed and then get out of again) hasn't had the work needed done to it, and more needs to be done. The landlord is aparently in negotiations with the people managing the property to sell. But in the meantime we need to get back in there. We've been staying with friends for near a month now, and its beginning to wear on all parties.

But...

There are still broken windows, the kitchen isn't usable, theres no working oven, the electrics are still not fixed, there are huge drafts which means the heating is usless, floors in the kitchen, bathroom and loo all need to be replaced. The sink in the bathroom is coming off the wall. We were told all of this would be sorted before we moved in, but this was nearly a month ago and not much has happened...

I really don't know what to do. The landlord hasn't answered any emails since before xmas, nothing's been done for 3 weeks nearly. I've text the agent (she's a sole agent and only deals with the one house) and she's not got back to us since before xmas too. I want to start calling people tomorrow and get people doing stuff because all of this should have been sorted by now. I don't want to get Shelter involved again because thats what caused all the hassle with the previous place. I've got a support worker but I don't know if theres anything they can do without my landlord knowing I have mental health issues.

There are somethings I can do - like the flooring, and using a sealant gun where needs be, but theres loads that I can't do. I just want to have a home to live in rather than just a shell.

What do I do? I'll try again with the agent and the landlord, but I don't really know what to say... :/

Help!

Comments

• Options
    Tbh, sounds like you need to cut your loses and move on/out, To much work which he isn't bothering to even do means he isn't intending on making it habitable, especially if he is in negotiations to sell it.
  • Options
    move out.
  • Options
    Make sure you get your deposit back first. And any rent you've been paying whilst it hasn't been habitable. If they kick up a fuss/refuse you have a good basis to take them to small claims court. You can do it online, doesn't cost much (about £20) and you won't need a solicitor as you'll be arguing based on the facts, not the technicalities.
  • Options
    Move out to where though? It took us three months to find this place, they didn't want references, hardly anywhere will take housing benefit.

I'm going to call the agent again today and see what she has to say about getting it all sorted - she's normally fairly pro-active but the landlord is the one being really slow...
  • Options
    I spoke to the agent and she's at the end of her teather because the landlord is dragging his heels.

I'm wondering if I get environmental health involved?? anyone had any experience of this?

I've been drafting an email to send the landlord basically outlining everything that needs to be done and telling him its a matter of urgency. Whether he listens to that or not is another thing... He's aparently out of the country until the 6th so I'm going to try and call him if I get no responce within 48hrs.

I've spoken to my mum and she's not prepared to move out and find somewhere else either, its caused so much stress already moving again is going to break her.
  • Options
    Huge turn up for the books!

We spoke to the landlord today and he's sorting the windows next week, the kitchen is up to us to choose and get fitted, but he'll pay for it. He's also paying for the floor - but I'll need to still do it! Basically he's said do what needs doing and he'll pay for it - just need to check with him first, but he's agreed to the floors in kitchen/bathroom/loo needing to be done, shower replacing, bathroom re-tiled, loo boxed in, doors painted, we can decorate how we want, carpets replacing (if they don't come clean), do what ever needs to be done in the garden etc etc. I don't mind doing the work, but I'm not sure I'm going to manage on my own. Someone suggested that i look for a DIY-help type charity. Can anyone suggest where I might find one?

I'm pretty tempted to say I'll pay for central heating if I can live there rent free for 4 months...might be pushing it!
  • Options
    Make sure you get the money first rather than do it and then ask for the money - I wouldn't trust him to pay you back at all.
  • Options
    Its coming out of our rent
  • Options
    You shouldnt have to pay your rent at all whilst thats all still going on.
  • Options
    We're not paying rent until we're able to move back in and the windows are sorted. The other stuff will be taken off the rent. Most of it is cosmetic...
  • Options
    Is this you're buying and he will deduct from rent you owe? I take it he isnt receiving the housing benefit directly?
  • Options
    Yep that what he said. Nope he's not...he actually doesn't know we're even on HB, he hasn't asked.
  • Options
    Make sure that you get that in writing, otherwise he could (in theory) get you to pay for the work and then sue/evict you for non payment of rent.

It might be that everything is above board but there are somethings which aren't worth taking a risk for. He doesn't sound like the most dynamic landlord and that would worry me.
  • Options
    We're getting him to put it in writing by monday.
  • Options
    Hey Miss Riot,

Happy New Year!

It's really good to hear that your landlord is taking some action and that works will finally get done so you can live in your home.

Keep us posted about getting this in writing though. :)

As for your original question - am I right in thinking that you are doing the work yourself, and your landlord is paying for the materials? If so, just seems like a lot of work for you to be doing on your own, on top of caring for your mum and studying.

I really am not sure of any charities that help in this way. Maybe Shelter may know or know where to look?

Alternatively, ask your landlord if he will pay for labourers to come in and do the work. You can get three quotes for him to look to see the average cost.

:)
  • Options
    Would it not be easier for him to get a professional to do all of this?! Not saying you're not capable, I've just never heard of tenants doing work to a rented property. And it sounds a like a lot of work.

Whenever places I've rented have needed anything doing, I've told the landlord who's got a handy man type person to do it - and the landlord paid for it all himself.

If he's going to pay for the work, or it's coming out your rent, can you not just find a professional to do it?
  • Options
    After trying to pull the kitchen floor up today - Like hell am I doing all the work!

I'm going to get annoyed with him on monday if he doesn't agree to getting people in to do it, I'm still shaking after trying to do it. We've found a kitchen thats cheap and functional, We've found flooring thats the same. He's going to get it sorted though, and by then end of the week because 7 weeks is more than enough time, I don't care if I'm not paying rent I could be taking him to court by now for failure to comply to health and safety law.

I am fucking livid now I feel like screaming down the phone at him!
  • Options
    I could probably understand if, for example, he'd said that if you wanted the place painting even though it didn't really need it, you'd have to do it yourself BUT not things like ripping up floors?!

Apart from anything, you'd think he'd want someone professional to do it to make sure it's done properly and well so it lasts and will be fine for years to come.

I see no reason why he can't/won't pay for someone to do it - surely it's his responsibility to make sure the house is live-able, safe etc BEFORE he's offering it up for rent.
  • Options
    He keeps saying that he can't get his contractors up from the thames valley to where we are (about 2 hours drive), and I our agent can't get contractors in either - she's made herself ill with this job and doesn't really want to do anything more because she hasn't been paid.

If we had somewhere else to go right now we would, but no where will accept HB and we've been taken off the council list.

I wish I could jsut get it all sorted and jsut present him with a bill.
  • Options
    The fact that the agent hasn't been paid, just underlines my point. He sounds like a real schemer.
  • Options
    I am worried but I don't see what other options we have :(