Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

In the beginning...

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
Back in 2001 and even before then, there were just a couple of thousand registered users on these boards.

ali-g.jpg

This guy was everywhere.

In them days, a few of our current regulars were making this place what it is now, so which ones were they? Who came first and how many people were before them. Here's is the top ten count down. :)

At number ten we have Skive he was the 2712th member to join and tens of thousands of members later still make an impact with his opinions, sense of humour and feisty ways.

At number nine we have Tweety, we don't see her round these parts very often but she certainly made an impact when I first joined. She came in as the 2556th member.

At number eight we have Arctic Roll - he originally joined under another name in the early era and has been at the centre of debates, dramas, romance and now a proud father of sod site baby. :) He came in as 1673.

Lucky number seven is Slartibartfast, another name change and account closure in his past (some can't stay away). The father of TheSite who was followed in by Arctic , quite literally by the looks of it. 1672

In front of those guys at number 6 was Girl With Sharp Teeth - may not post as often but everyone knows who she is... she's our 1268th user.

And number five surprised me, it's Indrid Cold, another one who changed his name and opted to be part of a UK community all the way from Greece as our 1226th user.

At number four was groovaybaby, haven't seen her for a while, but it's a name that sticks. 1118th

At number three we have Whowhere, still going strong first posting all those years ago and keeping the heart beat of the politics forum going. Mr 1098.

At number two we have FireyFirenze - lovely lovely lovely is all I have to say about her. 881.

At number one we have........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ JsT - our 725th member would you believe!

So, to those of you who see this thread - what are some of the memories you'd like to share? And the same question to everyone else...what do you remember from your beginning?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I remember and owe everything to this place, and a member for introducing it to me, I cannot believe it has been so long since I joined
    I too owe this place a lot. Hence why I enjoy giving so much back to it.
    I'm not even sure what year I joined, but I thought Helen was going to go all biblical there...actually I'm a bit disappointed she didn't write the initial post as a verse from Genesis 1 :D
    Hellfire wrote: »
    I remember and owe everything to this place, and a member for introducing it to me, I cannot believe it has been so long since I joined

A member that you DIDN'T EVEN INVITE TO YOUR GOD DAMN WEDDING.

I will never forgive you.

*ahem*

Anyway, I owe my best (and shittiest, to be fair, no fault of you guys, though - you can't help who joins :heart: ) times to this place. And my two best friends in the fucking world.

My favourites:

jake0 :heart:
    Science Museum mini-meets with DrP and Girl_gunner and Hannah-whose-username-is-right-on-the-tip-of-my-god-damn-tongue (eta: mystifymysoul!). And the aforementioned jake0.
    When ShyBoy came to my birthday, me and piccolo had to go and get him from St Pancras and then he called us when we were half way there to say he'd already made it to the pub, and I realised just how ickle he is :D (good lord, that was five and a half years ago...boy you need to come visit me againnnn)
    Meeting Jim, KermyRoll and GWST all in one day and then making a gigantic tit of myself in front of a room full of people.
    Those two half-marathons I...er...walked.
    The first time I met omg hi :heart:
    The mother fuckin' Met Bar :D

...the realisation that I have now lost count of, and forgotten a significant number of the people I've met from here. I think it's somewhere around 30-40? God, now I'm going to have to COUNT...
    You said yourself you wouldn't have attended :/
    Hellfire wrote: »
    You said yourself you wouldn't have attended :/

Only because it was far away.

If you'd had it down here, I'm sure I would have found it in me to come.

Also: not the friggin' point.
    Just realised I'm a bit of a veteran of these boards now...joined when I was 15 and I'm about to turn 22 :nervous: oh and facebook keeps suggesting you as a friend franki, even though I don't have anyone from the boards on facebook! It took me a while to figure out who you were and then it clicked! Dunno how it managed to suggest you, facebook really does have superpowers!
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Just realised I'm a bit of a veteran of these boards now...joined when I was 15 and I'm about to turn 22 :nervous: oh and facebook keeps suggesting you as a friend franki, even though I don't have anyone from the boards on facebook! It took me a while to figure out who you were and then it clicked! Dunno how it managed to suggest you, facebook really does have superpowers!

Oh that IS weird. It does that to me, sometimes. Random people I haven't spoken to in YEARS and I have 0 mutual friends with.

(And why haven't you added me ;)?)
    Oh that IS weird. It does that to me, sometimes. Random people I haven't spoken to in YEARS and I have 0 mutual friends with.

(And why haven't you added me ;)?)

Because you probably wouldn't have known who I was! I don't post pictures or anything these days, I don't think most folk here even know my name.
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Because you probably wouldn't have known who I was! I don't post pictures or anything these days, I don't think most folk here even know my name.

I do! I think :/. I would have known, though. I remember what you look like.
    I have on many occasions in non thesite related business, made visits to the met bar to remember and bring back memories.
    amen to that one...

I miss mine & JsT's private bitching meets... I just generally miss meets tbh...
    When I was a lad, all this was fields...

So many memories...

Too many good times, jokes, debates and randomness to list them all. I've learned so much, hopefully have given some good advice but mainly have never felt that my time here has ever really been wasted. Missed the place when I took a break, obviously lurked occasionally before taking the plunge and rejoining - all these years later and I still pop by most days even if I don't post anything.

I must have some sort of record though, in all those years, I can't think of a single member that I have knowingly met in person. Not one. There are several people on here that I have as friends on FB or that I follow on Twitter and would happily go for a drink with any of them - I just never find it possible to attend meets (those damned kids always want feeding/roof over their heads, selfish buggers)...

To my shame I still remember my first post and cringe to this day that I ever asked the question. My first response, IIRC, was from Calvin.

So many names to remember:
    RNT
    Daisychainthing
    Turtle
    Shelly (who was, IIRC, part of the first thesite wedding)
    Girl From Mars
    Kazzani
    DJP
    I remember Dom and Karla as mods back then too.

So many memories... *sigh*
    Oh, too add - in your face Froggy Roll. By one!
    Haha seriously?
    Shelly (who was, IIRC, part of the first thesite wedding)

Nope, we were definitely the first wedding. Sodbaby wasn't the first TheSite baby, though, quite a few people beat us to that particular life sentence.

It's funny thinking of the older faces. Quite a fair few are on my facebook, one's Godmother to sodbaby, and I know where a fair few others are.

What I find more sinister is how TheSite makes the world so small. Turtle's happily settled with a girl from on here, who posted here separately and I don't think they met here. Gareth is still stalking me round Durham. And I know Helen's had conversations before with a lovely lawyer called Sara about us!
    Shelly/tweety never got married iirc, I do remember being a Dick but I think I matured quite well thanks to this place.

I think its weird that I am also considered a veteran too. I miss loads of the older people too, Jake especially, a guy who was rivaled by no other.

How many of thesite couples are still together? I think my boy was one of the first thesite babies no?
    The poster with the second highest post count doesn't even get an honorable mention? :crying:
    Manda, you and your lionny goodness doesn't count because you would automatically win all ten places for being the most awesome so you "volunteered" not to be mentioned to be kind to us lowly plebs ;) hows that?
    Thanks, the check is in the mail, as well as some cookies ;)
    Who says money can't buy love!
    ;) you don't have to pay me, how are you, long time no speak miss.
    I'm alright, visiting the parents for the holidays so I'm bored and thought I would visit the site ;) How are you and the family?
    Aww, the good old days. I can't remember why I joined, it was back in my college days. I do remember the good chats we used to have, I especially remember the first TheSite meet, a big charity soiree that I was invited to along with the original mods and some real old school members.

The troll hunting against the likes of Steelgate and Thanatos, arguments with Turtle, the run in with WhatWhen and HowWhy when they *invaded*......good times.
    There's so much that has made this place special, and to come in as Bronze medal winner :)
    Long live thesite, and the newbies who will keep it going long past we've all given up.
    can't believe I'm second! :) it's a bit crazy, I was 16 when I joined and totally a different person to who I am now. good times :)
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    my name wrote: »
    The poster with the second highest post count doesn't even get an honorable mention? :crying:

This one's for the early birds - but you ALL have a special place in my heart. ;)
    can't believe I'm second! :) it's a bit crazy, I was 16 when I joined and totally a different person to who I am now. good times :)

Being 28 now i'd like to think i've changed,dont reckon I have though lol
    Yes I still stalk Arctic Roll from time to time :P
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I actually joined in May 2001 same as month as Kermit and MoK so I was in good company. Think the drug board attracted me here and then I got stuck here. :D

Like MoK, I've never got into meeting people from the site though probably for a different reason - I like to keep this place separate.

Posters I like to remember who are no longer here:
    Justin Sane, Bongbudda, Lacy, Vinyl Vicky, Turlough, Lipsy, Elisa Kate, Turtle, Ebb, Mindless, Spilffie, Martin Bashir, Fat_mike (best ever troll)
    +loads of others but I could on for long time

Mods I miss
    Karla, Suzie, Dom, Lady Jade

So many memories - I often find myself going through the archives, remember the old site, the different themes, the stars, the arguments the great Curve and Appreciating threads, the times I've posted complete crap on here whilst wrecked.

I came here as 19 year old, I'm now 30. I think this place has definitely shaped my views and understanding of the world and through that partly helped become the person I am today. Nowhere else in life would I have argued, laughed and debated with such a variety of people. Background, age, appearance etc all take a backseat on these boards and it's what you have to say that counts, and I think that's the best thing about TheSite boards.
    Weekender Offender 
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Spliffie is still about - he posted in November. :)

I'll let Jade know about this thread - she's still busy here at TheSite towers and will be glad to know she's missed!
    my memories are a bit sad, but the most memorable is feeling able to tell the full story of the craziness of my dad's death and getting so many kind responses from strangers and some weird sense of vindication that i was still entitled to mourn his death.

i still look back on that thread when i want a good cry and it really is like a big virtual hug reading the replies.

love thesite :heart: