Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Steve Irwin

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
This guy is cool! I've been watching his shows religiously for about three years now, and I can't wait to see the film nest week!

Anyone else like him?
By crikey

Hehe
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    yea hes great! Bloody insane but great! See him on Graham Nortan the other night?
  • Options
    Had a very drunk chat about him to two mates at about 3am in a mates kitchen.

We decided he is offically insane. "This is the most poisoneous snake in the world and it's really grumpy so I'm gonna jump on it"

:eek: :D
  • Options
    anyone seen the south park where they parody him? "Im gona stick my thumb right up its bumhole hole just to piss it off!" Sorta like him actually:eek: :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    See him on Graham Nortan the other night?

No! I was watching greenday play the same set they have for years. I wish I had known he was going to be on though!

Just watched three one hour episodes on Discovery!
  • Options
    He is hilarious, and when he was on graham morton, he was exactly the same as he is in crocodile hunter. hes like a cross between crocodile dundee, and bushtucker man.
  • Options
    "This here is one of the most dangerous crocs in the world, it can bite a man in two. Lets try and grab it!"

He's great. And mad.
  • Options
    Was there not an article about him once that he was seconds away from death when bit by a deadly snake? I think he's amazing and a complete mad man. But what he does is going to cause the death of him I think. :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by friendly_guy
    But what he does is going to cause the death of him I think. :(

He said in an episode last night that he will probably be run over by a bus and die doing something really normal.

However, I think an ironic death might be more fitting because he's great!

He called his daughter Bindi - Sue (Bindi after a croc and Sue after his dog) poor kid!
  • Options
    He must be quite mad to name his daughter after his dog:D
  • Options
    "Danger, danger, danger!"

That film looks piss-funny, I saw a clip were he's fighting some guy on the roof of a Jeep, knocks this guy off so he's just holding a rope dragging behind, and then he gets a snake out of a bag and it bites the guy!

His pet croc is called "Agro" too... you gotta love him!
  • Options
    Legend
    Isn't she a beauty

Indeed Steve, a real stunner.
  • Options
    I love it when he calls Terri `a flamin galar` whatever the hell that is
  • Options
    I wouldn't say he's the best in his field in terms of handeling reptiles, but what he's done to educate and entertain the public as well as his financial contributions to conservation make him an ok guy to me.
  • Options
    I read this after I posted and thought it was interesting http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/entertainment/3674942.htm
  • Options
    When ever i watch this guy, as well as laughing my ass off, I can't help thinking of the Fast Show sketch THATS AMAZING! You work it out.
  • Options
    Originally posted by viridis
    I wouldn't say he's the best in his field in terms of handeling reptiles

well fucking hell, unless somebody has started giving the teeth of crocs a quick polish then i'd say your wrong.
  • Options
    well fucking hell, unless somebody has started giving the teeth of crocs a quick polish then i'd say your wrong.

and I'd assume you don't know much about the field of herpatology. I'm not saying he's not good. The fact that he hasn't been bitten by a venomous snake yet speaks for itself. But he's not the best. Its his vibrant entertaining presentation that sells and his close calls with danger. There are planty in the field with his talent and better though and they all respect what he's doing for conservation and public education.
  • Options
    I don't see how the things he does can be bettered :confused: The way he handles some of those snakes and stuff, he perhaps isn't the very best, but hell he must be a fleas muff of it.
  • Options
    I'm convinced

Well, you know we can argue on for ages about whether he "is the best" or whether he is just a good entertainer, but at the end of the day, he is fucking smart when it comes to these creatures, and he is very good at observing their ways of living/reacting/being!!! :mad:
  • Options
    Re: I'm convinced
    Originally posted by unclebobert
    Well, you know we can argue on for ages about whether he "is the best" or whether he is just a good entertainer, but at the end of the day, he is fucking smart when it comes to these creatures, and he is very good at observing their ways of living/reacting/being!!! :mad:

I agree whole heartedly!
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee

He said in an episode last night that he will probably be run over by a bus and die doing something really normal.

Goddamit that's my death, I'm the one that's going to get run over my a milk float or bus - it even says so in my yearbook....
  • Options
    ages before steve irwin was basically a nobody here

i suppose that was cause he made aussies look like bogans
  • Options
    Originally posted by residentdork
    ages before steve irwin was basically a nobody here

i suppose that was cause he made aussies look like bogans

Yes, well everyone starts out as a nobody don't they. :rolleyes:

I don't think of him as representing the Australian people.
  • Options
    Originally posted by viridis

and I'd assume you don't know much about the field of herpatology. I'm not saying he's not good. The fact that he hasn't been bitten by a venomous snake yet speaks for itself. But he's not the best. Its his vibrant entertaining presentation that sells and his close calls with danger. There are planty in the field with his talent and better though and they all respect what he's doing for conservation and public education.

Well who is the best herpetologist then in your opinion?
  • Options
    Who is the best herpatologist? I think that's not such a simple question. You have to give credit for people like Steve's father and other scientist that were pioneers in the field yrs and yrs ago. But even today different scientist contribute different things. Steve Irwin is number one in educating the masses and making it fun. But as far as field studies and lab work and genetics and husbandry there are others. As a matter of fact I don't think Steve even has his PHD. My favorite herpatologist is Bill Haast and I think a lot of others would agree. He's been bit over 100 times and injects himself to build up a tolerance to study snake bites and antivenom to save lives. He's pretty much a bad ass. He says his immune system is tough, he hasn't had a cold in 30 years. One thing I disagree with when it comes to Steve is his unprofessional manor of holding snakes and the fact that he stages a lot of it. I guess it makes for a more entertaining show and he does always say never try this but there is always some idiot out there. If I've learned one thing from keeping venomous snakes and crocodilians, its that you can't always afford to make a mistake.
  • Options
    So, you are telling me that by injecting himself with venom, he is trying to build up a tolerance to snake bites? This sounds much like the emperor Han in ancient China, who would ingest capsuled^s of poison, so no one could kill him through poisoning...You know how he died? got stabbed in the f***ing BACK!!!
  • Options
    Haast has been at it for yrs. To produce antivenom, snake venom is injected into horses and now goats to produce antibodies which are then used to treat victims. Someone has to have the nasty job of milking theses guys and Haast has been at it for yrs. I think he's been bit 160 times. I heard once in S. America, they actually used his own enzymes(antibodies) to save the life of a young boy who was bitten.
  • Options
    http://www.calusaherp.org/haast/cobraf.jpg

http://www.calusaherp.org/haast/gaboon3.jpg
    I don't care how much immunity one has you don't want to be bit by one of these guys. I have two at home. They are African Gaboon vipers and have the longest fangs of any snake measuring up to 2 inches and a strike so fast that it never misses anything in range.
  • Options
    http://cobras.org/article.htm

sorry I was doing more research and found this which I thought was pretty cool
  • Options
    i prefer amphibians myself