Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

CCJ/bankruptcy & getting sacked

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is news- an increasing number of employers are adding clauses to job contracts which means if workers end up in court for financial non payment in their private lives they will be dismissed

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/dec/02/credit-card-debt-sacking-offence-ccj

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Most employers still don't but there are several professions where you cannot keep your job if you go bankrupt. Technically civil servants, police officers, soldiers, solicitors and people with financial management responsibilities cannot go bankrupt and keep their job.

It's not really news at all. The clauses have always been there, it's just that the Grauniad has noticed.
    Depending on if you work with sensitive material (documents), certain issues can cause your integrity to be called into question, nullifying your ability to carry on in the current employment.
    I crossed that section out when I signed my previous contract
    If I was to go bankrupt, I would be expelled from both of my accounting bodies and would have a lot of problems getting a job in my profession. Its just one of those technical contract clauses that artic roll has mentioned. I had a temp job in a bank and had to agree to a credit check to make sure that I did not owe them any money/have anything dodgy on the records as part of the application process.

However if the work that you do means that you dont have a high level of fiscal reposonsbility in your job then trying to sack you for having a ccj/bankruptancy does seem a bit harsh to me.
    If I was to go bankrupt, I would be expelled from both of my accounting bodies and would have a lot of problems getting a job in my profession. Its just one of those technical contract clauses that artic roll has mentioned. I had a temp job in a bank and had to agree to a credit check to make sure that I did not owe them any money/have anything dodgy on the records as part of the application process.

However if the work that you do means that you dont have a high level of fiscal reposonsbility in your job then trying to sack you for having a ccj/bankruptancy does seem a bit harsh to me.
    its like CRB checks in some jobs and list 99 for sex offenders to work in schools- employment law permits certain employers to sack or not recruit on certain grounds. And as you suggest why have accountants process company money when they fail to sort their own financial affairs
    Big Gay wrote: »
    I crossed that section out when I signed my previous contract

thats what I like to see- people power against big brother
    Most employers still don't but there are several professions where you cannot keep your job if you go bankrupt. Technically civil servants, police officers, soldiers, solicitors and people with financial management responsibilities cannot go bankrupt and keep their job.

plus members of parliament