Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Community Care Grants

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So after finally finding somewhere to move to, we now need to buy things to put in it!

After paying deposit and all that jazz my savings have pretty much disappeared, so we're trying to get a community care grant. We haven't got any white goods, nor basics like towels cutlery and crockery - they were all here when I moved in, and before they were all supplied when I was living in halls. I can borrow money from friends to cover the absolute essentials right now, and some of the white goods I might be able to get a local charity to cover, but theres all the furniture and stuff too!

I've had my support worker look at the form and even she wasn't all that sure - she said to come up with rough sums from looking in an argos catalogue and lump things together - i.e. living room furniture, white goods, laundry item etc. She also said that it doesn't sometimes come through for 3 months. 3 months without anything to sit on and no fridge doesn't sound fun! If I can borrow money from friends would I be able to then give it back to them when the grant is paid (basically I guess what I'm asking is if the receipts can be back-paid, or if they'll only accept receipts from items bought once the grant has come through. Are they going to ask for the grant to be given back if we've managed to get some things beforehand?)

I'm scowering the second hand furniture shops and freecycle lists right now, hope that we can get some stuff with what I've got left - but considering we haven't even got spare bedding or a matress each its like its a never ending list and I know I can't cover the bill alone.

So, after all of that, can anyone tell me how I'm meant to fill the damn thing in cos my support worker and the CAB haven't been much help, and how does it work? I wish it came with guidance notes!

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/paying_for_a_home/social_fund_grants_and_loans/community_care_grants

a brief summary of who's eligible and what you can get

you, specifically :), need to focus on your mental health and living independantly, having a home keeping you stable and out of hospital blah blah blah

use the argos catalogue as a rough guide. pick the cheapest and add a bit on, you never know. they won't pay you for a double bed, fancy cooker, fridge with ice maker etc :)

if you get it, you'll probably get half what you asked for, though sometimes more.

BUT, this is a bad time of year to apply. there's a fund, which iirc starts on the new financial year, and that's it for the year. so there won't be much in it now.
  • Options
    Oh thats really really poo :(

We're using argos prices but getting second-hand because then we can actually get something half decent and might have enough to cover everything - or at least most of it!

Can we put down the cost of moving too? I've been pulling my hair out because we now need to be out TOMORROW and we now need to pick up items we've been given on freecycle as well...this is turning into a total nightmare!!
  • Options
    You can get money to help with removals, i dunno if it can be paid retrospectively. Get a receipt just in case
  • Options
    I think RubberSkin has provided great advice in this area, as always. I'm not sure I can add anything further.

In terms of getting new furniture etc right now, I do think you will find what you need at many second hand shops and charity shops. Obviously the availability differs from area to area but it's worth spending some time to find the stuff you need.

If CAB and your support worker are not being much help, then you could try phoning Shelter on 0808 800 4444.

You've waited a long time for accommodation, so try not to let this put you down - it will all work out in the end.

:)
  • Options
    Well even though we have moved our stuff in we've ended up staying with a friend since friday night. We still have no internal doors/hot water/heating/loads of broken panes that need to be fixed. They were meant to be done by Friday, and they weren't so we're pretty pissed off. The agent has been on the phone to the landlord and hopefully it will get done by mid week, and we've said that we're not paying rent until they are done (even though we've paid the first month upfront), and we should have our rent date pushed back because the house is essentially uninhabitable atm. Majorly fucked off about it all!
  • Options
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    Well even though we have moved our stuff in we've ended up staying with a friend since friday night. We still have no internal doors/hot water/heating/loads of broken panes that need to be fixed. They were meant to be done by Friday, and they weren't so we're pretty pissed off. The agent has been on the phone to the landlord and hopefully it will get done by mid week, and we've said that we're not paying rent until they are done (even though we've paid the first month upfront), and we should have our rent date pushed back because the house is essentially uninhabitable atm. Majorly fucked off about it all!

Can't offer any practical advice but hope it gets sorted soon! *hug*
  • Options
    Well doors are now fitted, and we have most of the curtain poles up...no closer on the heating and hot water yet. I'm just curled up at a friends place the tooing and frowing is exhausting me!
  • Options
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    Well doors are now fitted, and we have most of the curtain poles up...no closer on the heating and hot water yet. I'm just curled up at a friends place the tooing and frowing is exhausting me!

Sorry to hear that you haven't been able to move in properly yet. Hang on in there as things will be worth it in the end. Even though things are moving slowly at the moment, they are getting done, which is a positive thing. :)

One thing though that I would advise, is to get any agreements about the rent in writing. As you say;
    and we've said that we're not paying rent until they are done (even though we've paid the first month upfront), and we should have our rent date pushed back because the house is essentially uninhabitable atm.
    It would be a good idea to get this in writing to avoid any misunderstandings in the future.

How are your studies going? You must nearly be on Christmas holidays?

:)
  • Options
    The house is still uninhabitable - this time because its unheatable because of the drafts (and £40 a week just on heating!), and because the electrics are unsafe, and the house can't be secured because of windows and door that still haven't been fixed.

The entire house is turning into a nightmare. So we aren't paying rent until its all sorted (and we now have this in writing from the landlord), and we're looking to him to pay us some money for the extra costs incurred by this situation.

The community care grant has been rejected, so we now have to appeal. The deposit for the old house is being disputed, and we're now having to camp in a friend's spare room until we know how long the house will take to be repaired - and what the fuck is going to happen about an unaffordable heating system (he's knocked money off the rent to make up for it, but even so that doesn't really work in the long term).

Merry fucking Shitmas... :(
  • Options
    Most drafts are easy fixed with curtains and draft excluders.
  • Options
    These drafts are from broken vents, broken windows & doors, and holes in the wall. I'd go with around with some sealant for the gaps and stuff that I can do, but I can't fix windows and doors.
  • Options
    Hey Miss_Riot,

Sorry to hear that things are not going so well for you at the moment in terms of the new house. Glad you got the rent stuff in writing from your landlord.

I know living in your mates spare room can't be that great on the moral - but maybe you can take your mind off things during the festive period. Get some Christmas Deco's to make your room more cosy and make some nice food. You and mum should have some 'you' time.

Also, remember you've come so far by finding somewhere to live and hopefully the things that are left will get sorted soon.

I hope you can have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Years and that one day you'll look back at this and..... well laugh. :)